Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
I have the RGB bug I want to start some RGB LED project's, RGB stands for "Red "Blue
Green.
With RGB Led's you can blend and create custom colors. I see there is no shortage of RGB products. They are becoming More and More popular day by day.
Kind of like how when flat screen first came out they were 5 grand now they are very affordable.

I was wondering if anyone has done any projects and could recomend a good controler and a Amp/Repeater.

Here are some examples of What RGB LED's look like and can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrCHPtzM4s&feature=related

Just looking for some good reliable SMT LED's and a easy to use controler.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-18-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
Try out these guys. I bought some LED for my project.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-18-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Grant,

Don't know exactly what you're looking for,
but I have good luck and reasonable prices
from oznium.com, check out their controllers
to see if they are anything like what you are
looking for - I have not used these, just many
LED's and LED strips from them for cupholders, under the helm, etc.

http://www.oznium.com/led-controllers

Todd
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Mark: Superbright is about 2x the price for RGB LED's as you can find on E-bay
Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5M-150-LED-Flexible-RGB-LED-Tape-Controller-US-Seller_W0QQitemZ330341206134QQihZ014QQcategoryZ337 13QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This guys wants' $99 for 5 meters of RGB and a Controler.
Todd: Oznium seems to be about the same.
Like I sad there is no shortage of LED's out there. Just wanted to see if someone had some first hand experiance with RGB Controler's and Repeaters ect. I had played with some RGB that Mike came up with it was pretty finiky. If you bent it to much it would have problems ect. That's why I was looking for some advice on specific product.
I would like to either see the stuff first hand or have a good Idea about the stuff before ordering stuff blind. I don't wanna get 50 feet of stuff that I have no idea is gonna work.
Controllers don't list a good instruction of how the control or work. Anyone know if Ozinum will let you come to their shop>
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-18-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
ya, did a burning man theme camp a couple years back with rgb led's controlled the input with a micro controller and had the colors modulate to the frequency of the music (higher the notes, the hotter the color..etc). great for trance.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-19-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
All the ones I ever looked into were not waterproff. I was gonna use them in a pontoon boat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
All the Waterproof LED SMT strip's I have seen are coated in a silicone and are real thick. I don't need or want the waterproof ones because they wont fit into all the plexy fixtures like light ring's I have made. This is a retrofit project. So if I can find or use a SMT strip as close to the size as the normal single color SMT strips the better. The 2 style SMT RGB strips I have seen are like this. Normal single color SMT stips are around 8 MM the RGB strips I have seen in 8MM and more common 11MM these wider strips 11MM strips are a bit harder to fit into plexy speaker grills ect.

The controller Im looking for is one that you can set and will remember your last setting. I don't want to have a controller that you have to re set each time you turn on and off the lights. Most of the controllers I have see don't seem to have a memory feature.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-19-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Grant, Oznium sells a controller that remembers the last color it was on, only $20.
http://www.oznium.com/rgb-led-controller

I got a project in my house that I'm gonna use RGB leds for and have looked at all the LED places and the ebay stuff seems the cheapest. My brother uses a lot of the Ozniun stuff in boats, but I think they all look the same; leds on a flexible strip. Oznium is supposed to be top notch, and their prices reflect that.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-19-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Grant, Yes I have done this. I used the ones from Superbright LED's. I have a video and pictures. I bought the RGB 36 LED Bar. I have 2 strips on either side of the DD up under the gunnels of the boat so they shine down to the floor. What I did was buy some 1"1/2 clear tube from Home Depot, similar to what people use for ballast installs and put the LED bars inside and taped off both ends to keep the moisture off the lights. I then just wired them in line so they change colors at the same time. Note: I originally bought to controllers but they wouldn't change at the same pace as one would start a few seconds later. You only need one controller for both sides. This will ensure they change at the same rate. The farther the distance between the two sides the more the slight delay will happen due to signal. I can't take any pictures as my boat is up at my summer house for the winter.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yea I have been told that 1 controller will work 15 feet of RGB in 12 volt configuration no problem. If you start going longer than 15 feet the RGB signal gets week and you have problems. That's what the amp or repeater is for. You buy 1 controller. That RGB signal out of that 1 contoller go's to a Repeater and each strand or run you use has a repeater attached in line. That wat all strand change at the same time. Im intrested what kind of controller will not onle do fadeing but sequencing and or flashing.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-19-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Grant,

We use a spray-on conformal coating that doesn't add any measurable thickness. E-mail Odin and he can share what he's using.

Also, you could call Bob in our Lewisville mobile electronics location since he's recently installed RGB lights and controllers.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-19-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
For some reason this never caught my eye - good job catching on to something kewl and new. It would certainly be neat! bcrider post up those pics!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-19-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
There is a boat on my lake that has rgb lights on the tower. When he goes down the lake at night it looks like a ufo going across the water, its wild. First time I saw it I did a double take, you could see it a good half mile away changing colors.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-19-2009, 11:02 PM Reply   
^ We sell something like that- could very well be: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180416722992
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-23-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Grant I bought a bunch of strips of the million color light strips. I have been playing with them in the garage and they seem ok. I want purple for my boat and if you cycle through the colors the Red and Blue stay on and the purple turns out not bad as long as you arent real close. I will be installing them over the next few weeks and will take some pictures and video for you if you would like.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-23-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
Trent: What are u using for a controler.
How long is each of your RGB run's. Are u using any Amp/Repeaters.

What is the thickness of the RGB you are running the most comon I have found is 11mm and 7.5mm.
Where did you get yours and how much a foot did you pay for it. Have you tryed making tightbends with it?
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
I bought the Million color RGB strips from Oznium. I then bought the simple RGB controller from them as well. The strips are 6 inches long and are completely encased in a flexible rubber. I haven't tried making any tight bends yet. I also bought a sound sensitive controller from Oznium that I thought might be cool. I haven't had a chance to get them all installed yet. My wife thinks they are all stupid!! But if the king of bling likes them (that's you G!) Then I must get them installed ASAP! No amps or repeaters yet. I am going to string them all together on the bench and see how many I can get wired on the single power source before they go dull.