Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
There is a doctoral student that posted over on Swaylocks discussing determining the natural frequency of a surfboard. The procedure, discussion and references are here.

A YouTube video of the procedure being performed is here

Lastly, the audio file to perform the test is listed towards the end of the links here.
Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
I had to try it to see if there was any consistency to the boards that I felt rode well.

My setup and the first board in my test:

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
My family refused to take anymore pictures after this one. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
The boards that I tested:

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Interestingly enough, the boards that have ridden the best had a natural frequency of 3.3 Hz, boards that were slow and unresponsive tended to have natural frquencies less than this and boards that were fast, but didn't feel alive had natural frequencies above the 3.3 Hz.

I don't know how to build a board to that specification, but it was an interesting test. :-)
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-22-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Nice test! it is almost like this could open up a whole new category of boards, or at least help us specify which boards are best for each rider. I should try this test, but i am scared my boards would just end up breaking,,hahahah
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-22-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
One last question, Do you cook with your computer???
Old    surfdad            11-22-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
LOL - it looks that way doesn't it? :-) Actually I dropped my old laptop and the screen quit working...I salvaged that old monitor from the office and plugged it in to the video output, as I continue to recover files from the old beast of a laptop.

The reflex of the boards I think is fairly important, if you've ever ridden a "magic" board, they just feel alive underfoot. On the sample boards they would resonate at 3.3 Hz, but for James who is 40 pounds less than I am they would resonate at 4.0 Hz...it makes me think that stiffer boards might help us heavier folks achieve a more responsive board.

I'd bet your boards will do fine, the worst case scenario is they'll just bend and touch the floor. :-)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-23-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
thats why the big board was 6/6 top and bottom.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-23-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Did you do this for James' main board? 3.3 & 4.0 for his board?

New shoes?
Old    surfdad            11-23-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
@ Jim Beam - I was thinking more along the lines of a thicker board, at least through the middle.

@ dtw - not on his current stick. I should have! Why yes! Thanks so much for noticing. :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-23-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I think we would all rather see a video of you 'drumming' on your surfboards.

Old    surfdad            11-23-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yeah - I get that request all the time, it's hard being a celebrity. :-)

I almost had to bribe Judy to take the one picture and she left the house right afterwards, muttering under her breath: you are so weird. :-) As if that was a recent discovery?! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-23-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Jeff, go out and buy that woman a box of chocolate for putting up with you!
Old    surfdad            11-23-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Oh my! There isn't enough chocolate in the world to compensate! :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-23-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
Buy her a chocolate subscription or something then.