Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Mav            04-29-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
This is has most likely been asked 100 times over, so I'm going to light the fire again.

What is the here it is dududun best boat for a first to buy.

I am looking for a v drive. I have heard great things about tige but same about many other. I am a beginner at wake boarding and plan to surf as well.

Question 1. What to look for and what to stay the hell away from

Question 2. Best boat for rough water? Colorado tends to be windy at times. I also frequent powell as much as I can.

Q 3 what else should I be aware of.

Thanks all
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-30-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
Whats your budget?
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-30-2014, 5:57 AM Reply   
1- Don't ask that question here.
2- Go out and test drive as many boats as you can and buy the one that fits your needs.
3- refer to answer 1
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-30-2014, 6:12 AM Reply   
1. budget first, That way we can narrow down to what fits in your price range.

2. what will you be doing with it wakeboarding mainly, wakesurfing, skiing, or just partying most of the time?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-30-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Well if you are planning on surfing, I would ask what side you and most people you ride with would typically surf on. The reason I ask, is because the prop rotation can affect the surf positively more on one side than the other. Certain boats and even certain years have a different direction of prop rotation, making the surf wake better on one side. You might as well get a boat that has a better wake on the side you surf on, right?

I would definitely look at budget, are you looking new or used? Where are you going to be keeping the boat when you're not using it? If you're planning to keep it in your garage, measure your garage and see how much boat you can fit in there. Don't forget to include things like the swim platform and tongue of the trailer. That would either narrow down your sizes or tell you you're not going to garage it.
Generally speaking, the bigger the boat, the better they handle chop, they also tend to produce a longer pocket on a surf wave.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2014, 10:07 AM Reply   
It is windy here in colorado, but our lakes are so small that they don't really get terribly rough. Powell can be rough at times, but no wakeboard boat is really made to handle a rough powell, a choppy powell can be handled by all of them
Old    Paxdad            04-30-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
This is has most likely been asked 100 times over, so I'm going to light the fire again.

What is the here it is dududun best boat for a first to buy.

I am looking for a v drive. I have heard great things about tige but same about many other. I am a beginner at wake boarding and plan to surf as well.

Question 1. What to look for and what to stay the hell away from

Question 2. Best boat for rough water? Colorado tends to be windy at times. I also frequent powell as much as I can.

Q 3 what else should I be aware of.

Thanks all
Do yourself a favor and man up! Go get a Nautique G23 or G21 anything else is just inferior. Plus the new friends you will gain will be phenomenal.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-30-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
Do yourself a favor and man up! Go get a Nautique G23 or G21 anything else is just inferior. Plus the amount of new "friends" you will gain will be phenomenal.
There, fixed that for you.

He does have a point if you're going into a situation where you will be looking for some people to fill out your crew a lot. You will not have anyone who will be disappointed or choose to ride with someone else instead based soley on what you're riding behind.
That being said, those are really spendy and not in a lot of people's budgets, especially when properly equipped.

If you can afford it, why not? Personally if money were no object for me, I would be looking at a Centurion Enzo SV244.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
I would get an NXT. Mastercraft quality and 50k all day.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-30-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
I think you can nego it down to $45k.
Old    Mav            04-30-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
I'm probably in the 20-35k range once my truck is paid off. I want to surf. I want to wakeboard and I want to chill. I have not surfed a boat. Kinda hard with an outboard. I'm looking for a place to start. I have heard tige has a great wake with the convex vx. And awesome rough water handling. I haven't heard much about others. Nautique massive wake. Malibu pricy. Storage isn't an issue however I would like to triple pull it behind my camper at times.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-30-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
I'm in the same situation. Looking for something in the 50-100k range.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-30-2014, 9:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I would get an NXT. Mastercraft quality and 50k all day.

I looked at it. Fit my 50-100k budget. It started out at 50 and by the time I added upholstery, ballast, prop, tower, stereo, trailer, swim deck, perfect pass, windshield, tracking fins, swim deck pad, cleats, transom tie downs, rudder, carpet, and a transmission it was $98,978. I was super stoked to be in a budget MC that me my wife and six of our closest friends could enjoy. Then my plump wife got in it and the damn thing was so small her fat ass couldn't fit in the spotter seat without completely blocking the walk through to the bow. That's a damn small boat IMHO.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-01-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm probably in the 20-35k range once my truck is paid off. I want to surf. I want to wakeboard and I want to chill. I have not surfed a boat. Kinda hard with an outboard. I'm looking for a place to start. I have heard tige has a great wake with the convex vx. And awesome rough water handling. I haven't heard much about others. Nautique massive wake. Malibu pricy. Storage isn't an issue however I would like to triple pull it behind my camper at times.
That is a pretty wide price range. There isn't a ton available at 20k but some great options at 30-35k.

I think you need to decide what is most important to you:

-Pro Level wake
-clean wake at slow speeds
-surf wake both sides
-rough water ride
-interior space/storage
-snap out carpet
-etc...
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       05-01-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
This is a completely pointless thread at this point. Figure out what specifics you are looking for in a boat and then come back and we can help you at that point

1. What will be your PRIMARY activity? Wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, tubing, etc.? (hint: if you say tubing, you're looking at the wrong type of boat)
2. What is your PREFERRED budget, give or take a couple grand? It does us no good to recommend a $35k boat to you if you're not comfortable spending that, even if you can afford it.
3. What is your skill level? If you're a beginner to intermediate rider, then most boats will produce a wake well within your riding capabilities.
4. What specific features do you NEED, and what features are just wants?

I'm a Tige guy, and I can assure you that the ConvexVX hull system is great, but at a $35k budget I doubt you'll be able to get into one since it's fairly new technology. You might get lucky on a used RZR close to that price, but doubt it. And honestly, despite my brand loyalty, I know that there are plenty of other boats out there to consider that excel in other aspects that may be closer to your needs since everyone is different. And I have no problem telling you to pick the right boat for your needs, even if it isn't a Tige.

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 05-01-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-01-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
Tige really has a hold on Colorado doesn't it? At least it made I easy to get rid of my old Tige that I never should have bought. Newer Tiges aren't bad but stay away from the ones in your budget. Where are you going to ride?? If it's Chatfield or Cherry Creek, then you should keep your money and stick with your outboard. Those lakes will hold you back much more than your boat will.
Old    Mav            05-01-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
This is a completely pointless thread at this point. Figure out what specifics you are looking for in a boat and then come back and we can help you at that point

1. What will be your PRIMARY activity? Wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, tubing, etc.? (hint: if you say tubing, you're looking at the wrong type of boat)
2. What is your PREFERRED budget, give or take a couple grand? It does us no good to recommend a $35k boat to you if you're not comfortable spending that, even if you can afford it.
3. What is your skill level? If you're a beginner to intermediate rider, then most boats will produce a wake well within your riding capabilities.
4. What specific features do you NEED, and what features are just wants?

I'm a Tige guy, and I can assure you that the ConvexVX hull system is great, but at a $35k budget I doubt you'll be able to get into one since it's fairly new technology. You might get lucky on a used RZR close to that price, but doubt it. And honestly, despite my brand loyalty, I know that there are plenty of other boats out there to consider that excel in other aspects that may be closer to your needs since everyone is different. And I have no problem telling you to pick the right boat for your needs, even if it isn't a Tige.
I'm intermediate at best when it comes to wakeboarding. I would probably be doing 70/30 wake/surf would be my guess. This is the info I'm looking for. I only want to make this purchase once. I want to be able to grow into the boat. I don't want brand x if it has this issue or brand y if it a great boat but known for this. And so on. I'm jumping up from a 1986 21 ft low profile Baja with an outboard. I'm sure anything will be amazing comparatively. Budget really isn't too much of an issue. I'm OK with spending decent money on a good boat. Like I said I don't want to buy another boat in 3 years. This will be a long term purchase with 15 or longer year note. What do you guys run and what do you like or dislike about it?
Old    Mav            05-01-2014, 2:06 PM Reply   
Oh and ballast, tower, perfect pass. Good stereo. Swim platform and v drive are about the biggest priorities. Of coarse along with Quality
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-01-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Oh and ballast, tower, perfect pass. Good stereo. Swim platform and v drive are about the biggest priorities. Of coarse along with Quality
If it were me I wouldn't write off any boat strictly because it is missing one or more of the following: tower, pp, stereo, ballast. those are all addable after the fact. Sure it would be nice to have those things and the price should reflect the lack if those things. The other thing is in the price range you are looking at the towers, ballast, PP, Stereo could be worn out, crappy or outdated.

Last edited by polarbill; 05-01-2014 at 4:07 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-01-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
Some other things. I don't think there are any brands that I would just write off right off that bat just because of the brand. All boat manufacturers make good boats in my opinion. Some are definitely more plush and luxurious than others but I think they are all pretty solid.

There are still some questions that should be answered that can help narrow down your choices but since you said you are going to be boating at Powell from time to time and the absolute perfect wake isn't a high priority I think I would look focus on high freeboard, deeper V boats. Keep in mind boats with a deeper V hull all the way to the transom tend to be a finicky side to side. Deeper V boats will ride better(I general) in rough water, will require less weight to get a big wakeboard wake and will be easier to list for surfing purposes. There are definitely brands that have options that should be able to be found in your price range. In general these brands tend to have deeper V running surfaces:
-Centurion
-Tige
-Supreme
-MBs(the newer ones)
-SAngers(the V230 or possibly V237(will be hard to find in your price range) are solid options)

I know you said 35k is your upper limit but if you stretch to 40K you might be able to find a 2009-2012 MB Tomcat 21 or 21 TWB. Both boats basically have the same hull and same size/setup behind the windshield. One is a picklefork and one is a traditional bow. Why I say these would be great is they offer a high freeboard, deeper V boat that has a great ballast setup, very good quality and surfs/wakeboards very good.

Here is one for 44k in tucson.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36276

Here is one for 45k in Cali
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=42505

You may be able to wheel and deal those down to 40k and honestly it will be tough to find a boat that new, that will do everything well.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       05-01-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
So you say a $35k budget, but then say a 15 year note? If you're looking at a used boat in the $35k range, then I seriously doubt you'll be able to get a 15 year note on it due to the age. Generally the banks will only finance new boats for that long. Used boats are usually a max of 10-12 years depending on who you go with and your credit.

So since you're not going to be buying outright, what kind of monthly payment are you looking to stay under? Because depending on what you can afford monthly, you may be able to get into a higher end/newer boat without wrecking your budget and not even realize it. My 2013 Tige RZ4 ended up being way less than I expected on the monthly payment. Depending on what you put down on it, with good credit and about $300 month, you could get into a pretty damn nice newer boat and not even realize it.

Go here and punch in your numbers and see what you can really afford if a 15 year payment is what you're looking to do:

http://www.boattrader.com/research/t...an-calculator/

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 05-01-2014 at 8:16 PM.
Old     (Mav)      Join Date: May 2014       05-02-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
What is a typical boat interest rate go for? I have around a 700 credit score. This is why I'm here. To get as much info as I possibly can. I did not know they don't do a 15 yr note on older boats. Thanks everyone for being helpful. My truck is 250/ month. So I could feasibly go up to 300$ and not be stressed. I would hope to see around 5k for my current boat that would go for a down.
Old    Paxdad            05-07-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
What is a typical boat interest rate go for? I have around a 700 credit score. This is why I'm here. To get as much info as I possibly can. I did not know they don't do a 15 yr note on older boats. Thanks everyone for being helpful. My truck is 250/ month. So I could feasibly go up to 300$ and not be stressed. I would hope to see around 5k for my current boat that would go for a down.
Always buy more than you think you can afford because as soon as you get on the water you will be looking over at other boats and saying to yourself "if I would have just spent another $10-15,000 I could be in that boat". Again once on the water all common sense is off and its about want instead of need (thinking with your eyes not your wallet kind of). Add a few cocktails/ beers in the mix and the depression of buying and older/ inferior boat will be magnified.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-07-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Assuming you qualify for tier 1 credit (740 and higher) a new boat will run you 3.99% for a 4 year loan. A used boat, add a percent to that. If you want a longer term, up to 8 years it will add 1.5 percent to that, if you want longer than 8 years, which is typically only offered on new boats, add another .5 percent to that. If you have tier 2, (700-740) add .5-1 percent to the above total.
This is how it is at my credit union which has the same rates as most others in the area.

So relevant information
Used boat, 4 year loan = 5.99% for you
Used boat, 4-8 year loan = 7.49% for you

Using that info, if you are looking for a $300 payment and plan on doing 5k down, you are looking at the following budget

4 year = $17,800 (5k down, loan for $12.8k = $300.55 payment)
5 year = $20,000 (5k down, loan for $15k = $300.50 payment)
6 year = $22,400 (5k down, loan for $17.4k = $300.76 payment)
7 year = $24,600 (5k down, loan for $19.6k = $300.53 payment)
8 year = $26,600 (5k down, loan for $21.6k = $299.78 payment)

That is just the numbers I have ran for you from my credit union, but you should find similar where you're at as well, possibly .5-1% better if you shopped around or your credit turned out to be a little higher than you think. That 1% better would give you about another $500 or so for the same payment.

There may be better out there and people better with this stuff than I am, so take it with a grain of salt, this is just a guideline I put together for you with the info I had available.
Old     (Mav)      Join Date: May 2014       05-07-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Wow that's very helpful. Thanks for all the help!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-07-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
Your welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. I hope you find what you're looking for. Another strategy would be to hold back a few thousand and use that for initial maintenance (inspection, fluids, belts, fix things that may be/go wrong) boat equipment (life jackets, anchor, bumpers) mods (ballast, stereo) and gear (boards, ropes) for it so you can get the major stuff out of the way to start with.

It would suck to tap yourself out and find out you still need a bunch of stuff to get playing put on the water, a cash buffer is always a good thing even if it means having a little more on the loan.
FYI, my buddy had his tranny go out on him 2 months after buying his boat last year, even with us doing all the labor, it was still the better part of a grand to get it fixed and back on the water.
If he did not have a savings buffer it would mean breaking out the credit card or just plain losing the entire season, as it is, it costed us all of July.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
Something to consider; all credit sources will require 20% down on a used boat purchase. I'm also pretty sure you will not get a loan for a toy unless your credit is past 720 and they look at debt to income hard on rec loans.
Old     (Mav)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Probably won't be this season. I have to pay off my truck first
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but If your not ready this season , wait till your ready to ask. Used boat market can and will change. Today's boat at $40k. Maybe in your price range next year , or may go up. Used Ski boats have actually gone up in value , specifically late model nautiques. Big demand now that the 200 and other new ski boats cost so much.