Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have a tandem axle trailer that hauls my 20ft Centurion 10 miles round trip to the Delta. I am in need of new rims and tires on the trailer. The lug pattern is the same as a5 lug civic/accord. Would some stock honda rims and tires suffice? Thanks in advance. Might be worth the rims and get some load range E tires?
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-21-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Not sure on the rims but I wouldn't put car tires on a trailer.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
I would be more scared of the rims than the tires in this case.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
I bought a boat that one of the pdxwake.com crew members used to own. I think a few of those guys hang around WW too. Anyway, several of the boats I've seen them using have big rims & car tires on them. My own are Pirelli 235 45 17s rated at 1477 lbs each (x4 = 5908) which is more than enough for the Vride.

I'm not much of a tire expert but have not had any problems with these.

I'm not sure that I would use tires for a Civic though. Seems like a big difference weight from a Civic to a 20' boat.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I wonder what a civic weighs? I'll look that up. My boat can't weigh more than 2k. It's a 93 direct drive closed bow.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Interesting. A Honda civic weighs 2782 and a nautique 196(closest thing I could find) weighs 2640. I'm going to give it a shot. What the hell I have AAA haha.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
^^ what about your insurance company refusing to pay...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
Plus the trailer weight, beer weight, lead weight, etc.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
Ya on second thought might just be better off doing it right
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2009, 11:09 PM Reply   
don't do it
trailer tires have stiffer side walls then a regular tire
and run at higher psi levels
just replaced mine at 70 a wheel spend the money
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-22-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
^^^ Exactly right^^^ And good trailer tires too. I hade BOTH rear tires blow within an hour a couple years ago- they were 5 yr old Carlisle tires made for a trailer- they didn't hold up. The tow truck guy put regular car tires on so I could get home and they definitley didn't have the support you need- even with a tandem trailer. I have Towmasters now and from what I hear they'll do a lot better.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-22-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
honda's also have more suspension travel and large foam bumpstops.Your boat axle is stiff and short in turn transfering the impact into the wheel.Not to mention a honda transfers the weight through four wheels not two.
If car tires worked there would be no such thing as trailer tires.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-22-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
I tow with 18" wheels and toyo proxies. Toyos are rated for the weight. I went through all the steps to verify. I have been towing my last 4 boats with this similar set up and have towed to Havasu and back from Portland, OR. I have never ever blown a tire on a trailer. If you do it right you are safe. I agree that you should not just go out and buy some wheels and tires of of Craigslist, but if you go to you tire shop and talk to someone knowledgeable you will be fine.... As Bill K said above there are a bunch of people here in town that have done it and I have never heard of anyone blowing a tire. We have all heard of others blowing though....
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Look for Van or full size truck tires. The manufacurers rate the load capacity for each tire made and any tire suitable for a 3/4 or 1 ton van will be adequate for the trailer. Go to a knowledgable shop and they will have the information you need.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
I am not endorsing car tires, but according to the Trailer Manufacturer's Assoc., car tires can be used, but they have to be derated 25% of what is listed on the tire. And as it has been mentioned, be sure to add to boat weight the trailer weight along with gas, gear, etc.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
been running Goodyear Viva 2s on under my 21 supra launch for 2 years. all is gravy to date (knocking on wood now).

Plus i got the hazard warranty. so if they do go out, screw it i get new ones.