Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    nj0024            06-09-2003, 9:22 PM Reply   
Looking at purchasing a 2000 MC Prostar 195. Any feedback on performance, wake and overall quality of the boat? What are the pros and cons and what comparable boats would you recommend instead?

Also, does anyone have a 2000 195 with a tower? What towers are recommended? Please post pics if availabe...thanks.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
I had a 99 prostar 205 direct drive with a 01 Zeroflex tower. It was an awesome boat. It has the same hull as the 99 xstar. I think the 195 has more of a ski hull but from what I've seen on here it throws a nice wake.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-10-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
I think the 195 is the same boat as the X-5, but it is a SportsStar, not a ProStar. I think it is the same hull without all the bells and whistles, IIRC. You can get a good wake out of them with a fatseat (or two fatsacs) in the rear, and a fat sac in the walkthru.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-10-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
http://www.desjardinsmarine.com/bateau%20usage.html

The link is to a 99 sportstar w/ a zeroflex. Same hull, but the graphics are different. IMHO the openbow and walkthru is a little cramped, but like Wilson said it will throw a nice wake w/ lots of weight. It's also a sharp looking boat I'd look for a PS205, but I tell that to everyone.... See profile pic. Good luck!
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
We have a lot of ProStar customers who have sent photos, check out http://www.monstertower.com/customerpictures.htm but check to see if a factory option is available as well.

Bill
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-10-2003, 8:29 PM Reply   
Here is the scoop. The 2000 x-5 is the exact same hull as the 2000 PROSTAR 195. Not the sportstar. The 2000 x-5 is a 2000 prostar 195 with the tower and rear ballast in the storage compt. That year they had the older style zero flex tower. I one one of these. Mine has the prostar 195 graphics because the tower was added on at the dealer, and I added my own ballast system. The boat runs great, handles great, and the zero flex tower fits very well on the boat. I like the looks of the newer zero flex tower, and it will also fit the boat hull perfectly. The boat was much less expensive then an x-star at the time. It is a smaller boat at 19.6 feet long. The open bow is a bit cramped for 2 adults to fit in, but great for some storage or one person to sit. I run mine with 350# in front of the engine box and 200# in the rear locker. The wake is great. Being that the boat is smaller and more narrow then some other wake boats, it takes less weight to build the wake up. To me that is an advantage of a smaller boat. Wake is very clean and rampy. It is not a steep wake like a malibu or a Tige or nautique. If you like a steep wake with a nice lip, then the x-5/195 is not the boat for you. The wake is also solid and is big with the ballast and only 3 people in the boat. I love mine and the wife likes driving a smaller boat. Even though it is a smaller size boat, it rides nice and high in the water. It rarely takes roller over the front or back. It handles the swamping situation better then a huge boat such as a Tige 21v, the smaller malibu and moomba. The bowrise on the boat is big too. I would suggest driving it and seeing if it is going to work for you. If you boat/ride with a large group on a regular basis, then the x-5/195 is probably going to be too small. I am fortunate to have ridden on all varieties of wakeboard boats. Every week I ride in a Mastercraft, Calabria, Supra, Tige and Malibu. All have their pros and cons. Just depends on what the main purpose of the boat is going to be for you.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
Mitch-My Prostar was just like yours. Awesome boat. I think for the money it's one of the best out there.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-11-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have the tower in the picture below on my 99 Sportstar, which is the exact same boat (hull, engine, interior, paint job) as the 1999 (and maybe 2000) X-5, minus the tower, ballast system (i got some fat sacs), and x-5 sticker. Got the boat used, does anybody know who makes the tower on this one below, its the same as mine. My only complaint is that it only folds rearwards and even when you fold it it won't fit in a (normal) garage because the front arms stick up so high.

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
That tower is the zero flex (older style). Same as on mine. I agree that the folding backwards sticks the front arms up too high. To get mine in the garage (8 foot door) I have to fold it down and rest it on some supports I built. It holds the tower so the front arms stick up 7 feet 9 inches. The top of the tower sticks up 7 feet at this point. Works good, but you are hosed if you have a standard 7 foot tall door.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-11-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
I didn't thing of that, but I don't know, its a carport, and although I think i have 8ft of clearance inside, i think the entryway might only be 7 ft. Right now i just back it into the carport with the tower up until i get about 1" of space between the roof and the tower, then cover the boat, i aqua-tite'd the cover so it keeps water out of the boat nicely, but it would be nice to leave the boat uncovered in the carport to dry out after a wet day out on the water.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
With the tower folded back and resting on the sides of the boat, I think the front arms stick up 8 feet 9 inches. They did not design the tower with garages in mind. Kinda silly. On the other hand some of the new towers do not meet the 7 foot requirement when folded either.
Old    wakeboarddad            06-18-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
I bought a 2000 ProStar 195 last year, and had the dealer put on a 2001 ZeroFlex tower (the 2000 model is ugly - no offense to anyone). I wanted the 2002 tower that has the light built into the towpoint, but it would not fit. It came out great. The boat is superior for skiing, and if you load it up with people or weight, the wakes are decent sized and well shaped.
Old    wakeboarddad            06-18-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the boat after the tower was added.
2000 PS 195
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-18-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
Lloyd, I like the 2001 tower better too. Too bad mine already had the 2000 tower on it when I bought it. the 2001 also folds better and is lower when folded down. Nice looking boat.