Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
My husband just got this box in from Liquid Trends in and installed the speakers in tonight. We've got six 6x9 Alpines powered by an Audiobahn amp. When we get it up on the tower, I'll post some more pics.

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Here's some more.

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
And the amp

Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-25-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
Oh I'm so jealous. Just curious how much did the box set you back, ive been looking at em but dont wanna just get 4 but 6 now that could work.
~Tyler~
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
That is sweet! I am also curious how much that set you back.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-26-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
NIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-26-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Very nice setup. Should look awesome mounted.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-26-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Nice tower box!! Liquid Trends does nice work, We use them for our installs at Delta Sport. Jason has done me so right on my current system. Some of the new things they are doing is off the hook.
Old    zboomer            08-26-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
Holy cow, that thing looks awesome!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Very nice looking!
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-26-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Rachel that box looks killer. That was a good choice going with Alpine Speakers. keep us posted with some pics from your install on the tower
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
SWEEET
Old     (wickedride)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
um correct me if im wrong last time i checked jason nolonger works for liquid trnz

image/bmp
Untitled-1.bmp (140.7 k)
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Hey Kev, didnt you mean to post my number?
Old     (wickedride)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2005, 4:20 PM Reply   
oh ya im sorry chaz here you guys go 209-491-5333 is that the right number now........LOL.....}
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
chas dont you have anything better to do than sit on ww all day. you know like mabye some work or something.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
no im not busy right now, I already fixed Eds boat

Are we still on for tomorrow? Let me know

(Message edited by chas on August 26, 2005)
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
yup still on. what time where at. gtlad you fixed it because he wont let me touch it and the last guy wired it so it wouldnt charge
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Ok, got some pics with the tower speakers installed. Enjoy!

Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-29-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Couldn't have picked a better looking tower speaker setup for an X-star. That box matches the boat perfectly.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-29-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
That system looks incredible!!!
Just out of curiosity, only 2 clamps hold that entire speaker system up there? Is it strong?
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
ill bet they sound as good as they look too. amazing.
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
How wide and deep is that speaker box? I do not see the tower mount holes in the pics, do you have to drill the mount hloes yourself and can the mounts be further in on the set?

(Message edited by mujibur on August 29, 2005)
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 1:09 AM Reply   
Kevin, those clamps are incredibly strong and thick. My huband mounted an aluminum strip (I think?)inside of the box and that is what the clamps connect to. Anyway, the box is completely made of fiberglass, no mdf at all. In fact, when it came UPS it didn't feel like there was anything even in the box. The only real weight added is that of the speakers.
Here is a discription from Liquid Trends:
"Fiberglass tower box that holds 6, 6x9” speakers, available in any color, weighs 13 lbs., available in carbon fiber or with custom flames."
If you guys want dimensions and prices, go to
liquidtrends.net
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have never been a fan of the tower boxes on the boats. But this might have changed my mind. These look great let us know how they sound.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
They sound incredible, not only can they get loud but the clarity is unbelievable as well. The reason we went with this system is because we were so impressed with another guy that had these on his boat at Don Pedro. We were at the Marina eating lunch and could hear them before we even saw them. My husband freaked when he saw the setup. Here are some specs on the speakers:

General
Size 6x9"
RMS Power Range 2-55Watts
Peak Power Handling 275Watts
Sensitivity 89dB
Frequency Response 30-30KHz
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design 1" Dome
Tweeter Composition Silk
Woofer Composition Multi-layer pulp
Woofer Surround Rubber
Impedance (Ohms) 4
Dimensions
Top-mount Depth 3"
Bottom-mount Depth 3-3/8"

They were the most powerful 2 way 6x9s we could find for a great price @ $88/pair.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-30-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
This is just my opinion but those speakers are rated way low for a tower box. 55watts? My 6 X 9's are rated to 100 watts rms and i think that is too low but so far we have had them out a few times and they are taking the conservative settings of the 800 watt soundstream all in stride.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Bob, my husband wants to know what your speakers rate at for peak watt handling? Here is a quote from him:
"SPL level is not directly related to RMS wattage. Our speakers are more effecient, meaning that you only need 55 watts to power the speakers. While you need 100 watts to power your speaker. But the peak power of our speakers is 275 watts per speaker which is the most power they can handle. If you look at Rockford Fosgate or Kickers, etc. most of their speakers peak is only 200. That's a big difference."
We had these play at a private lake and you could hear them clearly about 1/4 mile away and we did not have them turned up all the way.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:

"We had these play at a private lake and you could hear them clearly about 1/4 mile away and we did not have them turned up all the way."

You mean to tell me you could hear your Kickers clearly from 1320 feet and they weren't turned all the way up?

That has got to be the biggest load of BS I've seen posted here recently.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
hey Randy, we don't have kickers, they're Alpines! Read a little more carefully next time.
Old    mendo247            08-30-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
i believe that.. 1/4 mile on any lake is not that far for sound to travel... my old boat had four 6x9s on the tower and you could hear it riding pretty good but if you were a log ways away sitting on shore or in a boat you could hear them clearly forever.. there is so much noise when riding..board through water, boat through water, exhaust it all can drown the sound out when your right in the middle of it all... no bs there!!
Old    mendo247            08-30-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
oo yeah whats up with that amp? (not to steal this post or anything)..hows it workin out for you..thats an audiobahn right? which model? anyone else have an have any thoughts on these
Old    stillstandin            08-30-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Very nice set up, I have the same box, with the kicker set up in mine, and yes, you can easily hear them a quarter mile away. Liquid Trends does a very good job with the tuning at the amps. I would highly suggest their work to anyone.

Im not overly knowledgable on stereo equip, I know they are upgraded kickers, but they sound clean, and very loud

That made my laugh that you heard them at Don Pedro, that is where we normaly go, and you are right, Liquid Trends is starting to own that lake
Old    stillstandin            08-30-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
On another note, I got the box cover for towing, keeps all the bugs, etc.. off of the box, I would suggest that as well.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-30-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
Rachel, the aluminum strip you refer to being installed for the clamps, did that come with the box, or was that something added by your husband?
I am very interested in that set up for our X-star now. Know anyone wanting to buy some MC factory cans with Polk audio speakers?..LOL
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
"how much you wanna bet i can throw this football over them mountains over there?......back in '82 i could throw a pigskin a quarter mile."

-uncle rico
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
Richard- the amp is the Audiobahn A2300HCT, here are the specs.

So far no complaints as far as the amp is concerned, more than enough power.

Craig, it could have been you that we heard at Don Pedro. It was a group of young guys, looked like a bunch of football players to me (meaning a bunch of big guys). I think they had a sanger, not quite sure though. Thanks for the suggestion about the cover, I was thinking about that.

Kevin, because Liquid Trends was too far for us to have them install it we had them ship us the fiberglass box. It was kind of last minute and he didn't have the hardware in stock.

My husband then mounted an aluminum strip that he got at Lowes inside the box and attached the clamps to it. Caveat: I suggest you have Liquid Trends do it because you can order the box with the clamp already attached from Liquid Trends. But because we have an X-Star it was a special order that would take too long and we "needed" it right away.
Old    stillstandin            08-30-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Rachel its possible, my Sanger is black. Your boat, and the set up looks awesome. The design of the box really works with the lines of the X-Star. Congrats
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-06-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
Anyone who knows anything about car audio doesnt give a crap what the peak power handling is of a speaker or the peak output of an amp. My polk speakers are rated to 100 watts rms and have an spl rating of 91 db, yours i see are 89?? You WILL cook your voice coils if you try to run as much power as i am thru those speakers. Yes you can overpower speakers to a certain point but there are limits. This is why i have speakers rated to 100 watts, so i can safely drive them to 125 and maybe even 150 watts each. Your box looks great and i hope with your speakers angled on the outside you arent hammering the residents that live on banks of your waterway as we wakeboarders need to respect the power we have (our stereos) or we will loose that freedom. Oh yea 1/4 mile realy isnt that far on the open water.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-06-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
According to my calculations your either running at 1.3 ohms stereo or 2.7 ohms mono. Be careful running such low impedence with your amp inside an enclosed area as they can get very hot, very fast. My buddy has burned up a couple so far. Im pretty sure that amp has internal fans but the heat still has to go somewhere. I mounted 2 small internal fans and three external fans to try to keep my amp cool(it didnt have any fans).
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
That looks awesome.
Old    allen00se            09-08-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
Any details about the wiring for six speakers and one amp?
Old     (wickedride)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
as long as the amp is claean power an dialed in right you can runs tons of power to a good speaker, we usually run the rockford power 6x9 or power 6" in the tower boxes an run anyware from 800 to 1500 watts to the tower alone an then spen about 45 min tuning it so that it plays loud an clean with out any issues