Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-24-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I cannot believe that kneeboarding is not scoring higher on the poll.

Besides the fact that you are on your knees, can you name one trick on the wakebaord that can't be attempted on the kneeboard???

Snowboarding would be my second but there is no rope and you are not on the water and no wake.

Surfing & wakeboarding, most wakeboard tricks won't translate.

Waterskiing, although I love waterskiing the concepts just aren't even close.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
I just like how people want wakeboarding to be snowboarding.

Not sure what concepts you're talking about, but the closest thing to wakeboarding is waterskiing. Both are watersports, and whatever story you want to believe, wakeboarding evolved out of skiing more than anything else.

Take a skier and a snowboarder and teach them to wakeboard. Because of basic "concepts", the skier is going to be far better off than the snowboarder.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-24-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Try a backroll on a waterski.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I don't know about that. I came from a long snowboarding back ground, and many of the wakeboarding concepts are similar to snowboarding. Every good snowboarder I've seen try wakeboarding has it down and is wake to wake jumping on their 2nd to 3rd try. The body position is slightly different, but all in all most board sports translate into one another.

Due to snowboarding, for the lasst 20 years, I've found everything from surfing to wakeboarding much easier to pick up.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-24-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
I guess wakeboarding closest resembles a trick ski, but that was not one of our coices.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Snowboarders are going to get it, I'm just saying not as easily as a skier.

I would agree boardsport to boardsport makes it easier to grasp.

I wasn't thinking concepts, or similarities being tricks. If it's that route, I'd still disagree simply because of the rope. Line tension, handle passes, rodeos, double corked.

Wakeboarding has the rope, handle, boat (cable too I guess), wake, pendulum effect, etc.

I think it's cool that wakeboarding is actually a lot of stuff combined.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
The rope does make things slightly different, but edging is edging. I don't think skiers adjust to the sideways stance well. Skiers tend to have a bad habit, when changing from water or snow skis to snow or wake boarding, to having to force them selves to adjust to sideways stances and only having two edges vs four. I can see how a water skier would have a better concept of the rope and building tension, but really it's the edging that builds the tension and that same edging is used to build or slow momentum in both water and mountain sports.

Now that the flex boards have been brought into the sport it's even more like snowboarding than ever before
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
how about wakeskating? handle, line,wake, same edge.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-24-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
IMO snowboarding and wakeboarding have the same relaxing, flowing, feel of carving the H2O. I did think that I could learn to snowboard in a snap with no instruction because I could wakeboard, and that was a mistake. But once I learned I feel some similarities.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-24-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
" I don't think skiers adjust to the sideways stance well"

Hahaha tell that to Parks or Zane Chris.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Yeah the mountain is quite a bit different at first. You pivot off your front foot at first, where in wakeboarding it's the back foot, but once you get good you ride more centered in both.
Big difference is the water is much more forgiving than the snow!!! :-)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Exceptions to every rule. In my exp teaching skiers to board they struggle with the loss of their inside edges and the sideways stance.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
btw, backroll at 1:08 on skis.

Some nice backside 180's into the flats too.. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyF5yxBcS3o
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-24-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Kiting = similar tricks, boards, edging, loading lines, preference for butter (unless in waves)

Slingshot & LF manufacture in both spaces

Wake in the morning when its flat & not windy, kite once its blown out.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-24-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Soli, I think wakeskating is probably included under the blanket of wakeboarding. And I would agree with snowboarding, simply because of the edging, the stance, and grabs.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
I'll just say that when I kneeboarded before wakeboards (skurfers) were widley accessible, I always thought, this thing would be sooooo much better if you could stand on it. I think rope and water really have to be in there to compare well with wakeboarding.

Yeah a snowboard is a board and the bindings are looking erily similar, but a big difference and benefit of snowboarding is that you and a bunch of other friends can all blaze down a slope together. Besides the occassional doubles pull, or a cypress garden style pyramid, you pretty much do all the water sports by yourself.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have to say the skiers I have taught to wakeboard, without any board sport background, transition much slower than skaters or snowboarders. If you can ride and carve in any board sport, you'll pick up wakeboarding fast. I do thank slalom skiing for my strong toeside wakeboard edge.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-24-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
wakeskating...
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
think about initiation of tricks and the stadegies used to do most of em, I'd say wakeskating or kiting, because you have the handle edging and the wake with skating, and you have the edging and handle with kiting. spin on a snowboard then spin on a wakeboard, once you regain conciousness, it's pretty obvious it's not the same.
Old     (skate_or_die)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-24-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
i put kiteboarding.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-24-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
I love the video with the wakeskis! That was pretty cool seeing 2 planks flying through the air!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
If it was even close to snowboarding, I would be a much better wakeboarder!

IMO, you need to throw out any sport where you're not being pulled by a rope and handle, and then throw out the ones where you don't have bindings, ...what's left can compare.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on September 24, 2009)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
^^ and I'd be a much better snowboarder. Leaning back is a hard habit to break.
Old    murrayair            09-25-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I taught a guy who has been waterskiing for 30+ years to wakeboard last week and was stunned by how quickly he picked it up. I still think that snowboarding and kneeboarding more closely resemble wakeboarding, but waterskiing is closer than most people think, imo.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding evolved from water skiing. More specifically 3 event trick skiing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK_qOcnmdzc

Back Mobe 5 from my buddy Jimmy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76NR8b2FmWk
He does whirlys and all kinds of raley variations on his ski as well. He kills it on a wakeboard too
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
One more from Jimmy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7g92HZcLQA
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-25-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
Someone give the kid a doubleup and we may see a backmobe 7 on a trickski

speaking of which I wonder if Adkinson is still trying his melon 7 mobe
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
I set a record of 76ft off a 5ft jump at Cypress Gardens in 1983 on a Hydroslide. Then a guy in Texas was attempting to beat it and broke his back and was paralyzed , so Hydroslide got scared and told me no more
sponsorship that the board was meant for only one thing and it wasnt jumping. We were working on a speed record as well at the time, when Hydroslide said no more. I had reached 72 mph behind a CVX20 Glastron. BTW the landings frickin hurt like hell!!
Now everyone calls Kneeboarding "Gays on Trays" haha
Zane constantly makes fun of my old kneeboarding days, and cant wait to tell everyone. Damn kid!!
But I do believe Kneeboarding sorta paved the way for Skurfing then Wakeboarding.

(Message edited by woreout on September 26, 2009)
Old     (qjeezy34)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-26-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Why does any of this even matter at all?
Old    murrayair            09-27-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Is it bad to be curious about our sport's origins? No.