Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-02-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
I want to learn a new trick and I think its about time I tried the raley. I have heard its one of the roughest tricks to learn. Anybody have any tips or hints on how to learn this trick?
Old    steelethis            06-02-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
nice. well it's definitely a mind trick so i feel anyone with a good solid foundation as far as edging and line control go, should be able to nail it first try. you wanna commit to it first off. a nice aggressive progressive edge into and through the wake. when you launch off the wake flick your board back a bit and momentum will carry you the rest of the way. make sure to keep your eyes on the boat to avoid doing a huge back roll by mistake. once you get full extension, bring it back down starting with bringing your knees in and moving the handle down. once you land it you'll wanna do them all the time because it's such a fun trick to do, and a crowd please as always haha
Old     (cwitham)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Definitely LOOK AT THE BOAT! I forgot that detail on my first try and flipped forward, landed on my back and knocked the wind out of myself.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-02-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
This is a good trick to get comfortable with on the trampoline first. It is alot harder to do on the trampoline, and once you have it dialed then you can move it to the boat.

A hard edge is crucial.

even weight on your feet is crucial (it you go off the wake back foot heavy you will star gaze or rotate into a back roll).

commitment is super crucial. giving up half way through will only end in disater. always try to pull the board down, unless you lose one foot.

again, i strongly recomend getting on the tramp first.
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Try it on a wakeskate first. Of course your not going to land it as the board goes flying out, but you really get a good feel of the mechanics. If the trick doesnt go as planned its easier to bail out and avoid digging an edge. Once you get the feel of it, then strap on a board. You will have a much better chance of landing it and avoid a crash that would put you off trying the trick again.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-02-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I highly recomend learning it on a wakeskate before trying it on a wakeboard. The wakeskate just flies behind you when you take off. This way you can focus on getting fully extended and looking at the boat. Once you get the feel for it you can try to do it on a wakeboard.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Maybe have the driver nail the throttle on takeoff and do a wakeskate raley to barefoot. Once you have that nailed a regular raley will be no sweat.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I guess I should add that the last post was a tad sarcastic and I really don't recommend anyone trying this unless you are looking to hyper extend everything.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-02-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
^ I would love to see that on video.

A long time ago, I was in a ski show with a guy that was going to drop 80 feet out of a helicopter and barefoot out. They could not get the permits in time for the low flying helicopter. He said he had done it a couple of times before. I bet he could do a raley to barefoot...
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm wondering if the boat could build up enough speed to allow this to work. JMO but all these jumping off stuff to barefoot starts are kind of bogus as all they are is a normal BF start after a jump off something. Show me someone who does it without getting their hair wet and I'll be impressed. A wakeskate raley to BF would be impressive.
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-02-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Barefoot jumping is somewhat like a wakeskate raley to barefoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7EDe0sZfNo
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Except the boat is already up to speed which I think might be the sticking point on a WS raley 2 BF. Maybe a WS raley to butt slide and then stand up out of it. That would make a nice big splash and people would cheer if you rode it out to BF.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
off a double up so you'd have more time to get the boat up to speed.
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       06-02-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
I landed mine second try, just slipped out first try. Looking at the boat was huge for me, If I look at the water I lose where I am in the air. Trying one off of a wakeskate sounds like youre asking for a sack slapper IMO. And those are no fun! Good luck, just commit to it and you'll be cool.
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
i agree with cameron . . . sounds like a sack slapper waiting to happen with the wakeskate/ but i've heard it's a great way to learn...

also from a few good riders i've heard slowing the boat speed down helps a bits so that in the case you de get racked...it doesn't hurt as much...but i always tried it at full speed
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
What do you call the trick where you do a front roll after storing tension in the line while staying in the flats? Seems like you could start a raley from there.
Old     (das5239)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-02-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Is there any way to help not do a huge back roll besides looking at the boat?

I have tried to do the trick 3 or 4 times and each time I just go into a back roll....
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-02-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
you are on your back foot way too much. when hitting the wake push off with both feet equally.
Old    shooter_08            06-02-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
I can do Raley's on a tramp, but always stargaze behind the boat. I decided to put this trick on hold after a few painful backslappers. One time, I stargazed so bad I almost landed it (guess that would be a s-bend?)

(Message edited by SHOOTER_08 on June 02, 2009)

(Message edited by SHOOTER_08 on June 02, 2009)
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-02-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
dave i use to do the same thing when i was learning them, JK told me don't look at the boat, look down, old skool shapiro style,watch some old vids of the way he comes into the wake, edge-ing evenly all the way thru the wakes,that was how i learned to do them.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-03-2009, 4:01 AM Reply   
Shooter that would be a big Back Roll.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I tried the raley for the first time today just one time. I extended nice but never pulled myself back in. Guy in the boat said I fully extended to late. So back to the tramp a little to try to get them snappier. I felt the jerk from the rope but just ended up doing a big dive into the water. But it felt soooooooo good.
Old     (brentcochran)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
I come in with a hard edge and also sit way down and straighten my legs. At that point, the slightest release of the tension gets you flat in a hurry. I'm sure everyone does them a little different.

I actually prefer a little stargaze if I'm going Krypt. To me it feels a little more fluid and makes your two tricks have a different feel.

my 2cents for it's worth....good luck!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-03-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
nick it sounds like youre not edging enough and trying to push your legs back into the raley position. This wont work and more than likely you will take a massive front edge next time instead of dive.

Theres a massive difference between the raley based edge and every other kind. Try taking your cut out as wide as you can then really sit out there and build a slow progressive edge all the way through the wake, in a seated position, by the time you hit the wake you should have big tension on the line. Keep the handle tight and your shoulders back. As you edge through the wake straighten and STIFFEN your legs. This will give you that massive pop up which will automatically boost you into the raley position. Once up really try and keep your shoulders and head square otherwise you'll do go into an sbend or backroll which will not end well. On the way down spot the landing and pull the handle to your lead hip.

Its a really simple trick but awesome when u get it. Good luck! Try and get some video next time
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I think I flattened out to much right before the wake. I had alot of speed going but didn't hold that edge threw the wake. When I do them on the tramp they seem to be really easy if I keep the handle about 5 feet off the matt from start to finish. My whole body goes up to about 45 degrees past laying flat. Does that seem right?
Old     (natemah)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-08-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-08-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
I think making sure your weight is distributed correctly when edging in is most crucial! Yes, I have stargazed so bad that I kept rotating all the way around while laid out. I ended up landing it and had no idea what I had done. Those are just laid out backrolls.

Weight even on both feet, speed, edging in seated position, as you approach wake, start standing tall and look at everyone in the boat, and don't give up until you release off the wake. If you give up even 10%, you are hosed!!
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-13-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
any tips for doing an air raley at the cable?
Old     (dixiebmxer)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Zach. I FINALLY landed my first today. as soon as your carrier hits the turn cut toeside for a second then come back with a progressive but STRONG cut heelside. You will feel the tension. Keep ALL your weight on your back foot. When the line is loaded and all your weight is on your back foot make a hard flick with your front foot. You want to make a C with your front foot and you will be launched into your raley. When airborn look up at your carrier because if you look left or right you will go into an s bend type of spin. Pull your handle to your waist and land with your knees bent.

Most importantly DO NOT JUMP!!! this will cause you to go a foot out of the water and catch a NASTY toeside edge and keep in mind you are hauling butt! Learn from my mistakes!!

The falls are pretty brutal but when you finally land it is worth it.

If anybody would like to add on feel free. I just landed my first one today so this is what I did and worked perfectly.

GOOD LUCK AND DONT GIVE UP!!