Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-13-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
I'm interested in your opinions of the most durable rope. My last couple of ropes have been coated and I'm not sure if I'm sold on them. Both have had lots of issues with the coating being stretched, pulled, torn, cut, etc. I know this doesn't necessarily affect the performance of the rope, but it does get annoying when it doesn't want to roll well. I'm tempted to switch back to non-coated, but I have had ropes fray in the past as well. My ropes get used and abused by a lot of beginners, so I'm just looking for something extremely durable. Thoughts?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-13-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Accurate Jacket Series. 10 years of use and abuse, not fraid.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-13-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
^^^this. Year 6 on mine...
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-13-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
Yup, these are near indestructible. I say near cuz your boat has a prop.
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-13-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Ronix makes a good rope. Super strong. Mine got caught around the prop a while back and I thought the tower was going to come down before it finally snapped. They are a little on the high side but they will last unless you wrap it around the prop.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-13-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
Ronix also makes a version of the jacket line, I think its called the core. It floats, I've not seen a coated line float I don't think... Eventually they all sink at least...
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-13-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
I just bought a cheap Bulletlines uncoated rope and handle package on ebay. The handle died a couple years ago, but the rope still looks brand new. What stress do beginners put on a rope that experienced riders dont? I dont understand how your rope takes so much more abuse.
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-14-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
I think a lot of beginner riders have no clue how much equipment costs. They don't treat it with the same respect as people who know the value.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-14-2012, 6:06 AM Reply   
letting the rope run over the edge of the board while you are laying in the water, letting it drag on any surface that isn't water. Unwinding it after every outing. Knotting it. On another note, even when a beginner is using my rope, I am still handling it... so no, I don't know how a beginner puts more stress on a rope...
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Fly High - purchased in 1998 and still in use today - rope and handle.

FWIW - during a recent tournament I was driving at, most of the coated lines tangled and required a lot of time to untangle. Every loop you put in a line is a half-twist - coated lines don't like to twist. Go uncoated.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-14-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Delta Force is right. Accurate Jacket Series is the way to go. Durable, and it floats, so there is less of a chance of it getting into your prop.
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-16-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I bought an Accurate Byerly Jacket Line yesterday.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-16-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
That's what they're called! I was wondering for ages after the length markers all got worn out/lost. Its been around out prop so many times and still it working grand. My only criticism is that the main part of my line at least is a touch too long at 70'. Its grand for me, but if I'm coaching or if my sister is riding, I have to put a temporary knot in it, though knotting it is easy to do, any easy to get out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
Any coated line is going to be tough. Proline, Accurate, whatever.... I replace my Proline every 5 years or so once it has a couple of knots. I've never seen one break though.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-16-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
That's what they're called! I was wondering for ages after the length markers all got worn out/lost. Its been around out prop so many times and still it working grand. My only criticism is that the main part of my line at least is a touch too long at 70'. Its grand for me, but if I'm coaching or if my sister is riding, I have to put a temporary knot in it, though knotting it is easy to do, any easy to get out.
My accurate jacket is 55, 60, 65 and 70' lengths ~ 60 to 75 feet with handle... thats what they advertise the byerly at too...
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-16-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Ah right, sorry got mixed up and found I meant the Hyperlite regiment. Looks to be the same construction but yeah, its awesome
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
the only advantage i personally see to a non-coated line is that you can tie it off at ANY length easily without a single knot.

make a loop of rope where you want your rope to be "tied off" at. wrap the loop of rope around the tower hitch, make sure the loop goes under itself and then finally put the remaining loop over the tower hitch and pull... if that makes sense.
i have never seen this tie off method loosen spontaneously, it's solid. AND it is easy to undue.

it doesn't work so good with a coated line because it can damage the coating
Old     (follow)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-21-2012, 12:01 AM Reply   
With the coated lines guys it really depends on the plastic material used, there is many cheap versions which will bunch up and crack fast. At a manufacturing cost is cheap to use and most companies will not inform their customers of the difference just sell them. The polyurethane coating which is one of the most expensive plastics you can use. In our experience this will last the best of the coated type's we use on Chris O'shea, Brenton Preistleys and Mitch langfields pro models, other wise the braided team mainline we use is the strongest longest lasting.