Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
I didn't post this in the trick tip area because i am not looking for tips...more so your opinions...

okay, so i am heading out to the river tomorrow morning and am gonna be staying through sunday...

I am an okay rider and can do a a hand full of grabs and 180's from wake to wake. Last season i tried to throw a back roll and couldn't get it. sense then i have read just about every trick tip out there. However because i live in a dorm room i have not had the opportunity to practice on a tramp.

I have also herd from a few people that the tantrum is an easy "first invert"...

My question is which do you think is easier?

which do you think I should attempt? which have harder falls? I mean tantrum feels more natural to me off of the diving board. I really want to go upside down!!! haha

thanks WW community..
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-28-2009, 12:46 AM Reply   
the tantrum is extremely easy, so I would go with that one. Just cut in hard, flatten off, pop and throw you head back. Wait for the pop so that you don't throw it early. Or you could go with the toeside backroll, thats easy as well.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-28-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
I don't think any one basic invert is significantly more difficult than the rest. Each one has it's share of issues that give people trouble learning. Pick one you like, read up or watch some videos and give it a go. The best way to get better is to ride with people who are better than you. They can pick up on anything from leaving the wake too early, to the wrong approach or handle positioning in one attempt. Which is a lot easier than beating yourself up on a trick doing the same thing wrong and not knowing what to do different.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
If you're dorming it, colleges usually have a gymnastics dept, where you can go and use the really really really nice trampolines that bounce you like 20 ft.

worth looking it to, my school does and the first few times they charged me $5 for an hour, but I made friends and now as long as I go at certain times its free
Old     (cwitham)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
for me, the backroll was easier than the Tantrum or toeside backroll. The tantrum you have to have a harder cut because it requires you to flatten off at the crest of the wake. Backroll can be done with almost no speed / height if needed. Just think of it as a cartwheel in the direction of your cut instead of a "flip". Tantrum is more fun though. (in my opinion)
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-03-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Bad news guys. i just got back still couldn't get the back roll all the way around! Came very close though!

I feel like i need to get a little more height! i found when i cut in as hard as I can i get plenty of height but can't control my body as easy in the air. but then when i take more moderate edge i don't get enough height.

any ideas on how to get more height?

would a longer rope give me more height? right now i am on a 60' spectra rope

thanks for the input
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   

quote:

My question is which do you think is easier?

I get this question a LOT and this is the best way I've come up with to answer it: The backroll is easier to learn, BUT once you've learned the tantrum and backroll, the tantrum is easier to do. There a couple good reasons for this. The backroll uses an edge through the top of the wake, like a w2w jump, which you already know, unlike the tantrum, which is a 'trip-flip'. But once you've learned them both, on the tantrum you can spot your landing super early, so IMO they're easier to do. Good luck!

-Steve
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
I found the BR harder to learn, but less painful.
The tantrum may be more consistent now for me.
I'd go after both at the same time, they are so different.
And keep your eyes open. That was a challenge for me.