Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
Am looking to get a new boat and would like to know what peoples opinions are on these two lined up against each other.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
My opinion...so take it for what it's worth.

Super Air is far more superior than the SSV, due to its quality and its reputation. That's not to say that the SSV isn't a good boat. It's a great boat. The wake just isn't as big, solid or clean as the Super Air. Both interiors are nice and quality, but the SSV has MUCH more room than the Super. The SSV is also MUCH cheaper than the Super.

Do yourself a favor and demo both boats, loaded, since that's how you'll be using it anyway.
Old    dfish            05-16-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
No comparison: SAN has better wake, better fit and finish, better ergonomics, better warranty, better resale. Consequently they are sold out for the 2004 model year.

Everyone chimes in about storage, never found it an issue. We are on the river all day with 3 kids, 2 adults, a 100 lb. hound, 5 wakeboards, 1 air chair and all the stuff for the beach.
Old    sean123            05-17-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
Here we go again..... It's all preference!!! I prefer my SSV. Much roomier, I believe the interior and exterior quality to be up to par w/the CC, Since I will never be a pro, I find the wake w/the GG bags plenty big, and often with 4-5 people in the boat to big.

Sean
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-17-2004, 5:56 AM Reply   
What do you like? If you like a steep wake, the SANTE will have the better wake for you. If you like a large rampy wake (like me), the SSV will be better for you. The room/storage was mentioned above - SSV is a much bigger boat. SANTE has the better warrenty. SSV is cheaper. Look at the NADA guides and boattrader.com for resale. It looks like they are about the same.

It all boils down to what you are looking for in a boat.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
It would be interesting to see how all the Big 5(CC, MC, BU, Tige and Supra) would grade out from the general boating/boarding public if they didn't have the names attached. People didn't know the look of the boat, tower, storage configuration etc. You just went to the lake for a day, rode in/behind all 5 boats for a few hours and then made a decision.

In a perfect world huh...

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
Sorry....I will make this a Big 6 and add Sanger.

E.J.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-17-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
Personally, I think the statement that the SAN is more ergonomic than the SSV is crazy. I find the SAN more cramped, with a somewhat awkward shape to the seats and padding. The "jump seat" available for the SAN doesn't even come close to the comfort, convenience and function of the playpen seating in the SSV. I hated the electronic instrumentation on the SAN, but I don't know if they still use that.

I don't think that the SSV and SAN really are that comparable. Yes, they're both the premier wakeboard boats for their respective companies, however, the difference in size and layout is almost impossible to ignore. Each boat has strengths and weaknesses.

Supra has done some cool things in their boats that people seemed skeptical of, UNTIL other manufacturers starting doing it too, and then it seemed cool. (playpen in bow, fiberglass swim platforms, etc.) I know these aren't earth shattering things, but my point is that preconceptions and perceived quality sometimes blinds people to other developments and options.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-17-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
P.S. - Supra recently knocked-off Correct Craft to join the Big 3 club (in terms of sales) in wakeboarding.
Old    tommyadrian5            05-17-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I'm not going to pick sides here, but as I always say, you will not be able to compare Supra and Nautique for another 20 years, as Nautique has proven that they can build boats that last that long, yet supra (as they exist now) is a relatively (last 5 years) new entry into the watersports boat world.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
To me yo have two things to consider here, the wake and the price. Both the SAN 210 and the Supra SSV are great boats. The 210 has a wake that is almost straight up. It gives you TONS of pop straight up, to me I don't prefer that type of wake. On the SSV you have more of a rampy wake with a good transition and a nice peak at the top to send you flying. Nautique and Supra construct their boats differently, you might want to look at that if you are interested (chopper gun vs handlaid). To me none is better than the other, just handlaid is a much more expensive process.

With a Supra you get these things stock: 320hp efi indmar engine, tandem axle trailer w/boat buddy and stainless fenders, stereo, board racks, hydraulic wakeplate, 3-bag ballast, double up seating, playpen seating if you choose, rise-r-drivers seat, and built in cooler. You can get all of this at around $43k. Thats what I have one on my lot for.

With a Nautique, I know you have to buy a boat using package deals or whatever, meaning you might have to pay for options you might not want. Plus I know the Nautiques come pretty bare.

Put a $5k-10$k price difference in the boat and you just can't justify the tique in my opinion.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Matt,

Sales does not mean much being that I am pretty sure that Ford built and sold more cars than Mercedes in the United States last year.

I am not trying to compare either boat to a Ford or Mercedes, just stating that I know which I would rather purchase for my mother and it has nothing to do with domestic sales volume.

E.J.

(Message edited by Deuce on May 17, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Tom why not include Supra from the time they started bulding boats in the early 80s??you say as they exist now,why??

CC has been making boats for a long time but they also built boats with all wood,wood stringers,Carbuerated/under powered engines ( for todays standards),small cramped etc..so did supra and all the other companies out there..they all evolved and got more advanced and make boats that will supposedly last longer,use less gas,and maybe need less maintenance over time..

so yes CC makes a great boat and have a name thats been around 75 years but their 75 year old boats arent being used for skiing and wakeboarding today..supras 1980s boats are still seen on the water as is correct craft..

we all know CC makes a quality product and were and still maybe a step ahead in some area of qualtiy and innovation but the gap has closed in the last five years..CC however has the most expensive boats out there and really if you look at the SAN/sports etc the hull and layout hasnt changed much so why the big price difference??Mostly in Name only IMO..

i like both boats but as far as what your getting for your money the SSV is a better deal now and the quality is not far off...

the SSV does have a rampier wake but its hard and poppy and much more user friendly then the bucking ,concrete staright up vert of the SAN..the SAN was my favorite wake for years until i saw how it killed my knees and threw off my timing as i had to hold back so much cutting threw it to stay under control..its all personal preference..i dont own and SSV but do own a supra ..i also have ridden every major wakeboard boat out there and they all have their +/- 's ..

go test them and choose for yourself..

BTW my favorite wake and possible fave boat other then my own is the newer 02 and up Malibu VLX with the wedge down..sweet wake with the best of both worlds and boat is big and priced in the middle...:-)

alright im off the soap box..
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
bucking ,concrete straight up vert

that's what I like.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
i like it as well Thane but my old knees/ankles tell me not to make it a daily occurence :-)
Old    tommyadrian5            05-17-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
bill, supra as it existed in the 80's has nothing to do with supra as it is now. Supra had a few years in the 90's where their quality hit the floor, and they produced some terrible boats. As shown in the chart below, supra has been bought, sold, and reorganized several times, for this reason you really can't compare a supra boat from the 80's with a present supra boat, as they have had several different owners, standards, and management staffs, the only connection from a present day supra to a 1980's supra is the name, nothing else. Correct Craft has been one company from the start, and the same principles have applied throughout CC's life. Supra is just the name of the boat, as exemplified below, and Supras, through the years, are boats by different companies with a common name.

Quick Supra History
Originally (1981) -> Supra Sports
Then -> Purchased by Inboard Marine in 1992
Quality decreases, entire management staff is fired & replaced in 1995 by current management staff, ownership company is renamed United Marine; quality begins to increase
Then -> 1999 - Current management buys out United Marine and renames ownership company Skiers Choice, now have full control over all design, quality, and cost objectives.

so bill, saying that a supra that was built in the 80's can be compared to a CC built in the 80's is like comparing a 1980 BMW to a 1980 Chrysler, omitting the fact that back in 1980 Crysler was not owned by Mercedes (daimler), a direct competitor to BMW

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on May 17, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
well all that may be true but hes comparing Supra of Now to CC of now so all this is moot ..they as i said are real close in quality and both offer great boats and IMO can be compared fairly..Supra SSV has some pluses that the SAN does not have which are

1.GG Ballast bags offered from factory that will give you a push of a button 15min fill time of 2600lbs..no other ballast is needed and you can fill them as little or more as needed..

2.then to compensate for the weight they have a hydraulic wake plate that when down all the way lets the boat plain as if it were not weighted ,then on the fly it can be brought back up to drop the transome back down in the water and creat a clean big wake..

3.more storage and better interior layout w/ the bow filler pen and the observer seat in the back being able to turn around and face the rider.

4.fit more people and gear in the seating..

5.costs 5k or more less in some cases

id say those are pretty good reasons to consider and compare an SSV to a SAN..

Ive been in both and you have to add lead/or sacks to the SAN to get a great wake stock off the showroom floor..you do not have to add anymore weight to the SSV and the wake may be different but they are BOTH PRO quality,size,shape..

im not saying one is better then the other but it makes me laugh when someone says they shouldnt be compared...

im done :-)

Old    tommyadrian5            05-17-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Bill, its all true, i got all the info (minus the "quality" issues, i knew that from other threads) off of the "about supra" section of the supra website.

Yes, bill, and as i said, I wasn't arguing which was better today, but you can't compare a proven name with one that hasn't been around all that long in terms of build quality and longevity.
Old    dfish            05-17-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
bill

What does the amount of ballast have to do with anything and why would that be a selling point?

1. Does Supra have to have 2,600 lbs to get the same displacement as a CC or MC with less than half the weight? More weight = more fuel, more wear and tear and reduced handling.

2. Are "bags" that will break and are almost impossible to get too better than hard tanks?

I'll say it, Supra is not in the same league, especially for less than a 5% price difference.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
Dan,

Supra only offers a 900 lb ballast system from the factory. You get can get the 2600 lb gravity bags only from dealers. No, you do not need the extra ballast but some people love the HUGE wakes. I'm pretty sure most Nautique owners add extra fat sacks to their boats. It sure is handy to just upgrade to larger sacks and not lose any more storage.

The bags in Supras are very easy to get to, I can take every one of my sacks out of my boat in less than 2-3 minutes.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
From what I've experienced, the wake w/ bigger bags in the SSV = the SAN's wake w/ stock ballast.
Old    sean123            05-17-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Cool Joe thats Great!!! Isn't it.. The SSV being a MUCH bigger boat, even having to add extra weight since its a bigger boat you can achieve the same wake.!
Old    tommyadrian5            05-17-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
yea, i've heard the same thing, san's are notorious for having a badass wake with minimal weight

which is probably also why people tend to like the way they handle when weighted more than other boats

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on May 17, 2004)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
Oh, no doubt the SAN wake is probably bigger with the same amount of ballast, just a totally different shape. Some like, some don't, I tend to do the later.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Well go down to the dealers go sit in the boats see what you like, also see how the dealer is, when you buy a boat, you are also getting a dealer, if your CC dealer has had a poor record, go look at some thing else etc. You cant go wrong with either of those two boats, it all comes down to what you want in the boat.
Old    hpdvs            05-17-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
I see it this way, this is obvioulsy just my opinion. The SANTE is a more "professional" boat, in the way that it has a wake that more people who are looking to advance there trick list will want. Shoots you straight up and the boat is made for the wake, the quality of the boat is still important to CC but I belive they were just looking for a way to make the best wake(most sought after wake). Where as the Supra boat is made with the goal of having a good wake along as an interior layout that will be more comfortable to a group of people that will look for a good wake along with an interior suitable for big lake trips.
Old    akman            05-17-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.......

Old    kmac            05-17-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
I took Demo rides last year and again this year. Last year i bought an 03 SSV and this year a friend asked that i ride along and test the new SAN along with others but these are my own opinions.

The SSV is a very roomy boat, large in the cockpit comfortable in the playpen area front and rear bolster for backrests or wind blocking and can be used up or down. Interior good quality, comfortable, one keyed lock behind the ski post and the hatches lock with pins on the inside for easy security and no burns or busted knees climbing over the rear deck. Swimstep is extra large, watch out for the black rubber on the step it ruins white trunks at first, maybe gator grip this year. Built in cooler with lots of storage.

The Auto Ballast system is easy to use just the flick of a switch and the larger hidden bags, "fluid concepts" are ready, when not using there is plenty of needed room in the front and back hatch area's for all your weekend party needs. Rear facing seat makes for comfortable enjoyment of watching friends ride, pictures, filming ect no stiff necks.

The wake is large and rampy good unweighted for beginners maybe a bit wide and full ballast excellent for the better riders. The wakeplate helps tailor the wake and adjustable for running to your favorite riding spots. Tower is solid looks good, 6 "fluid concept" speakers with no rattling or noise and folds forward but requires 2 people and the hold down knobs are a pain. Satellite Radio is standard works great. It will not fit in most garages. Has a good trailer with unique features which may apply to other trailers.

We ran almost every weekend last year with flawless performance. The price factor was a "HUGE" difference vs the SAN as this is what i originally looked at. I think the quality is just as good as the SAN and with all the features a better value for me. I honestly did not think the SAN interior was any better or as comfortable and not because i own one.

I also do not plan on keeping forever so 20 yrs from now i hope it is still a good solid boat as i will already have owned a couple more. Why worry so much about it, just take care of it and that will take care of itself.

The Malibu dealer is close to me as they have recently moved and mine is a ways away, this would be a huge consideration on my next purchase in addition to the VLX being an excellent boat.

After owning a new boat you will see the little things like and dislike but if this helps out great.

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
Joe that is not true about the GG sacked out boat Vs stock SAN..i ride both on a weekly basis and I know for a fact that the stock SAN wake isnt as big as the SSV with GG bags..

its about convenience guys the GG ssv is easier to use when you pull up to the dock hit a button head to your riding spot and your ready to ride ,when you leave same thing..wake is very nice with the GG bags..

we add a lot of weight to the SAN ..the stock wake is nice but doesnt cut it if your used to big wakes..like most boats we add about 250lbs more to each side of the engine then drop 500 in the bow to help plane it out and clean up the wake..

im not arguing either im stating recent facts..

that was my point..

Jon i know you sell supra boats so i could be wrong,the stock bags that come in the SSV are 300 on each side of the engine and 600 up front or something along those lines..like 1200 total..the GG turn it to 2600lbs...

ok im done with this

demo and choose demo demo demo demo :-)

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
bill, in my experience, it was.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
Stock bags are 250 on each side of the engine with 400 lbs in the ski locker. 900 lbs total.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
joe you hit your head and were rusty again or someone lied about either boats weighting ..either someone had more weight like hidden lead or something in the SAN or someone thought they had the GG bags in their boat but didnt..
Old    dfish            05-17-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Bill

When you can do your inverts behind a PWC, post the pictures, until then more ballast and a huge wake mean nothing.
Old    dfish            05-17-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Finally

Search this board and wakeboarder.com for problems with Skiers Choice and then with CC before you make the claim that they are in the same league as CC, MC or BU.

It appears Skiers Choice resolves its customer problems when they hit the public form.

I prefer my manufacturer to be transparent. I only have so many days a year to use my boat. If my boat is in for service and cannot be repaired before I'm leaving for the weekend, I always have a boat to take. The warranty issues (very few) are always resolved between my dealer and CC and only AFTER my boat is REPAIRED.
Old    exodous            05-17-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
Dan, Dude, you're so close minded. There is more than one great boat company out there. Just because you own a junktique,oh,i mean nautique doesn't make it the best. haha, just playing with you. For real though, be more open minded towards things.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, you're right bill, because we all know that since my experience and/or opinion is different from yours, I must be wrong.

(Message edited by dakid on May 17, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
Dan whatever ,theres not many people that can do their inverts with no wake so thats not even a factor..if it were then just for the sake of saving gas we all should buy a PWC..Plus if wake is not a factor then why is everybody bring it up when they search for a boat??it is called WAKEboarding so a good wake is important ..besides noones knocking the CC.im not bashing any boat or any person..ive said before o like the SAN wake along with three others ..id own either boat in a heartbeat but if you factor in price and the other stuff people are talking about then the SSV becomes as good a choice as any other and could be considered over a SAN..

also Dan do a search there many posts about Malibu problems as well..so i guess you cant inlude them..i bet CC has never had a problem before..

Joe im not saying your wrong but whover told you how they were weighted maybe were ??:-)i say this becasue i ride behind an SSV ,SAN,and a Vlx at least once a week and we have tried all the weighting options at one time or another.i have been in an stock san twice and the wake was nice but wasnt even close to the 2600lb SSV wake in size alone..

theres only two stock weighted boats i would ride if i really needed a big wake and wasnt allowed to add any extra ,Malibu VLX or SSV GG.example would be say a tournament said choose a boat ,any boat out of the big thre/ four to ride in a big competition..the only ones ive been on that accomodate that are the two i listed above..

i realize its personal preference but the main point is the SSV shouldnt so quickly be dismissed..

will this ever end ? :-)
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
Dan,

I hope that is not the case regarding when we choose to resolve issues. Sorry if it appears that way....FWIW, We have the upmost respect for Correct Craft and the product they build and the people who build it. Great people and product.

Old    dfish            05-17-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
I like all boats, that was not the question. MC's--owned two Pro Stars. Almost bought an X-2 over my SANTE, except for the local dealer. CC's--owned a Sport and a Super Air. BU's have stepped up their quality. Moomba-no better value on the market. Supra's are almost their but need better dealers. MB's are great except the graphics.

I have skied behind Moomba's and riden behind Supra's. They are nice boats, but that was not he question.

When you are spending 50k plus for a boat their are only two in the league--CC's and MC's. The rest need to attract with better warranties, better dealers and extremely attractive pricing.

Old    ag4ever            05-17-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
I own a SANTE, and love it. Is it the best boat out there? To me it is. Are there other great boats out there? Yes. Would I ever own a Skier's Choice? No, not b/c I think they are crud (I don't) I just don't like their feel and design. Would I own a MC? No, they look to cheap (they are not cheap in any sense of the word, just feel that way to me) and flashy. Would I own a BU? Yes, I think they are nice quality classic looking boats that have a good feel.

What will my next boat be? Houseboat!
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-17-2004, 10:57 PM Reply   
"Search this board and wakeboarder.com for problems with Skiers Choice and then with CC before you make the claim that they are in the same league as CC, MC or BU."

Wasn't there a guy last year that had to build a website featuring his SANTE lemon before CC would help him out? I remember reading all of his horror stories, they made me cringe.

If you talk to somebody that sold boats or owned a dealership in a previous career, they will tell you one thing. All boats are crap. Doesn't matter who builds it. Some people own their boat for 10 years without a problem, some have 10 problems in the first year.

The most important thing is purchasing the boat that YOU WANT.

I based my purchasing decision on wake, resale, style, interior quality, and basically I just bought the boat that I had the hots for.

Old    dfish            05-17-2004, 11:11 PM Reply   
Joe 788

"I based my purchasing decision on wake, resale, style, interior quality, ...."

----Glad to see another CC owner chiming in.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2004, 4:50 AM Reply   
Are you comparing 04 SSV and 04 SANTE? That is a pretty tough comparison to make in my opinion. The Supra SSV is a great boat and is more affordable than any of the others. Supra is definately the dark horse. If I only had those to chose from--I'd probably end up with the 04 SSV. Reason being the resale would most likely be quicker and closer to the negotiated price I paid.

However if you compare an 02 SANTE to a 04 Supra SSV I'm pretty sure I'd jump into the 02 SANTE in a heartbeat! Nothing has changed on the SANTE since '02. It is not too hard to find an '02 with low hours and lots of options.

New boats aren't all they are cracked up to be. Who wants to take it easy for the first twenty hours? If you follow the break in instructions--there is no boarding or weighting the boat for the first twenty hours--how fun is that! Not to mention most of my service work seems to be within the first fifty hours. A Correct Craft with 150 to 250 hours would be great to hop into right now...
Old    ag4ever            05-18-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
I took it easy for the first 20 hours. Granted it was hard to not open her up the first time on the lake to see what she would do, but for the longevity of the overall package, I just took it easy and spent that time feeling her out to she what she was like. It gave me some nice relaxing time on the water too. Life is not just wakeboarding no matter what some people think.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
i bought a 04 ssv in april. its my third Skiers Choice boat. is it an incredible boat? hell yeah! is it better than a nautique? no, it's not better, but in my opinion they're pretty darn close. i cant justify the extra money for a super air. they are also incredible boats. i bought my ssv because i love supras & my dealer has an excellent reputation. i'm not knocking the nautique dealer in town either, i buy all of my riding gear from those guys & they're great people. the ssv is a better fit for me. it all boils down to this--- make up your own mind, dont let anyone influence you because you're the one making the payment and it better be what YOU want!! good luck in your decision, both are excellent choices!
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-18-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
Hey, Chuck -- I tried to call you a couple times last week, but your voice mail was full. Adam tried, too. Give me a call and let's set up a ride.
Old    larkin            05-19-2004, 5:43 AM Reply   
Chuck,
Did you get a new phone? I've been trying to get up with you for two weeks.

Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-19-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
I am very happy with my 04 SSV. The SAN is obviously a great boat, but for a great price. It all boils down to preferences and budgets.

Here are some pics of my SSV:
http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Boat%20Pics&galleryid=10&picid=72&Pa geIndex=0&PicPageIndex=0#Pictures
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
"When you are spending 50k plus for a boat their are only two in the league--CC's and MC's. The rest need to attract with better warranties, better dealers and extremely attractive pricing."

Well I would have to disagree. In dallas we have great dealers on SAN's, MC's, Supra's and BU's. I did not spend 50K, but I could and would have if I thought the QPR was there. The SAN had a little better fit and finish than the rest, but the layout just did not do it, especially for the price diff. The MC dealer has moved to New Mexico, so it was between Bu and Supra. I was a little BU biased, and went with the VLX, I will be going with another one this spring
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
Alright I'll chime in too. A few weeks ago I took my SSV to the lake and met a friend of mine that owns a SANTE. As we picked up our friends from the dock I hit the switches on my Ballast tanks. My friend with the SANTE had a girl laid over the side of his boat with a pump filling up his tanks which were ALL OVER his boat. None of the tanks were hidden. We had two riders run until they were tired before he had his first rider in the water.
I cannot imagine spending extra money for a SAN.
NO WAY NO HOW!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
I've had a girl laid over the side of my boat while pumping....

Good thing is, I never really worried about someone else finishing off guys in their boat....but that was just me....

E.J.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Ej I saw that one coming.
Old    larkin            05-19-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
Well Teddy just made this thread more interesting.

Listen, everybody is so brand loyal in wakeboarding it's hard to get an objective opinion.

I've ridden behind both, if you want great value and a great wake combined with a pretty good family boat with room, go with the SSV. If you want great value with a monster wake and not as much room in the boat, go with a SANTE.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Adam, I like your profile pic, is that a grey X-star with green trim? And is that 2 police boats in the background?
Old    larkin            05-19-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks, yes and yes, that was in January in Knoxville, TN. The wake on that mastercraft was decent without any ballast whatsoever. It was quite cold.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-19-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
"I've ridden behind both, if you want great value and a great wake combined with a pretty good family boat with room, go with the SSV. If you want great value with a monster wake and not as much room in the boat, go with a SANTE"

The only post you should listen to.

(I'm sure there were a couple of others so sorry if I left you out)

(Message edited by blabel on May 19, 2004)

(Message edited by blabel on May 19, 2004)
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
jeff--i just called adam this morning. i dropped my phone in the lake a couple of weeks ago so i decided to go ahead and cancel service on that phone. i'll email u my work #. i've had family in town, work has been crazy, and my knee cap popped out of joint----so i havent be able to ride for a while. we definately need to hook up sometime soon.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your knee, Chuck. But you can still drive, right?
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2004, 3:19 AM Reply   
Thanks guys this string has helped me out immensely
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-20-2004, 5:14 AM Reply   
Teddy, "None of the tanks were hidden"? If it was really a SAN, there were two tanks in the V-drive compartments and maybe one up front under the floor. Those sacs you saw were EXTRA sacs. Ask your friend for a ride with all those sacs filled plus the stock ballast.
He could put that extra weight out of the way but obviously he doesn't care. For most Nautique owners it's all about the wake. We like the wake. We don't care that the hull shape hasn't changed for many years. We don't care about having extra space. We like the wake.
Old    akman            05-20-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   
The SANTE or any SAN for that matter is a wakeboarding WAKE MAKING MACHINE, for most people that purchase one they are core riders looking for a huge wake with very LITTLE extra weight added. Storage isn't an issue when all you take out is some vests, a few boards, towels and a cooler for the day or for a few hours.

Gas consumption when loaded is minimal compared to others, me personally I love the keyless start, locking electric hatches, gauges that tell me how long at current speeds I can run my boat, low fuel level warning, ballast that fills in under 4 minutes.....the list goes on and on.

The fit and finish of CC is top notch in my personal opinion, the boat handles like a sports car on the water LOADED or unloaded, it handles boat and wind chop like no other boat I have been in and yes I have owned others.

Does the boat have some drawbacks...........YES EVERY BOAT OUT THERE DOES! I would think after all these years they would make access to the observers seat storage much easier but it's not an issue for me, I have a 12" sub inside an enclosed case, a milk crate that has my first aid kit, flare kit, fire extinguisher, spare prop, prop puller and extra lengths of line inside it.

This boat is NOT for everyone, families might not like it for storage issues alone, most beginners won't like it for the size of the wake.

I owned a Mastercraft for 2 years and loved that boat, for me it boiled down to the X2 and SANTE the fact that the CC dealer is 10 minutes away vs. 90 minutes for the MC dealer played a big part in my decision. The fact that they were willing to let me build my trailer how I wanted was another factor. I have a galvanized trailer that is epoxy dipped black to match the boat, all my electrical connections are dipped in liquid electrical for waterproofing, I have not had one light go out in over 14 months. I was able to pick the rims on my trailer and the trailer manufacturer is within an hour drive if I have any problems.

If you want full on vertical pop with a steep, hard wake then this boat is the boat for you hands down.

Stock ballast, 700lbs of lead and 2 people in the boat, freshwater, rider is 6' tall at 80'

Old    ag4ever            05-20-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Does your SANTE have the push-botton hatches? I thought that changed them to the knee breakers in'03.

I agree with your list, I just wish I had the Faria serial gauges on my boat. That would make mine just about perfect for me.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
'03 SAN has push button....

E.J.
Old    aircox            05-20-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
C.brown, Are you from New Zealand? Do you have a local dealer for both boats? What kind of boats are available to you out of country? D-FISH you think that Skiers choice ignores all their problems till they are posted ?HA HA,that has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever read in this forum. I doubt that any dealer or manufactor would have this in their business plan,maybe 1/10 of a percent of problems might even reach a reader board .
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
We have CC, Mastercraft, Tige' & Malibu available locally in NZ. The Tige' & BU are made in Australia, the MC & CC are imported from the states complete. The Ausy made VLX here rides on the dimond hull which sucks poop for boarding.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Yep I am from NZ the top of the line boats that I have access to are
Correct craft - dealer 7 hrs away
Mastercraft - dealer 6 hrs away
Tige Dealer 8 hrs away
Supra - in Australia
anything else I have to import from the states myself.
there are many things that I need to consider
gas consumption is a biggie
If go for the SAN I have to get it serviced 4 1/2 hours away
Tige I can get the motor serviced anywhere
Mastercraft not sure.
Supra I can go to my normal boat mechanic

at the end of the day I will go for the boat with the wake I like the most ..cause for me its all about the wake
Testing a 20v riders and a SAN this weekend
and need ride behind the X2 with Stephwaklvrs setup
but having a low fuel warning might just swing it cause I have run out of fuel a couple of times and its not that cool being towed in by the coastgaurd when your out on Wellington Harbour

If I had a dealer ten minutes down the road he'd probably need to employ me or take out a restraining order I'd be down there so often..

(Message edited by powdrhound on May 20, 2004)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
I'll chime in with my $.02 I have a 2002 SAN (not team). i only bought it because i got a great deal on a dealer demo leftover '02 last year (paid closer to $35k than $40k if that gives you an indication with a bimini and tandem trailer, and i'm still licensed as the first owner). Now that i have the boat, i'll never go back.

For my intermediate level riding, the stock tanks, plus 200 lbs lead, plus the 7-8 folks i'm usually out there with, generates a wake i don't think i'll ever get tired of, or frankly need to build any bigger.

The fit and finish are awesome. I hear lots of complaints about the storage, but compared to my '97 prostar, it's got much more, and i can put a board in the floor storage, and one in each of the side storage tanks.

My only complaints on the Nauty are pretty simple:
1) it turns like a pig
2) reverses the opposite direction (incredible pain in the ass when pulling into a tight spot)
3) clamshell passenger seat design

As for space, we'll do 8-9 people no problem, and it doesn't have the playpen seating which i don't like. i also prefer the hard tanks, as i can put stuff on top of them, not worry about them breaking.

Not only do I love the boat, but i bet I can sell it in 5 years for at least $20k (if not $25k), and that's pretty damn good as far as holding value. Of course, i'll likely be using that money as a down payment on my next Nauty...