Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-14-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
We all know that the numbers the manufacturers say about towing capacity are fudged a bit...

My Tahoe has 190,000 miles on it. I am tempted to just replace it with another Tahoe. But when I think about it the Totoya Sequoia (God, so expensive) makes me drool a bit, as does the Armada.

But that 4 door Jeep reminds me of the old days when I had Jeeps and Land Rover Defenders. I am wondering if anyone has experience with Towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. That's #1 on the list right now and I am thinking about heading off tomorrow to test drive one.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have always been a jeep guy, but that new v6 motor has a hard time moving the jeep alone let alone towing a boat. I have owned jeeps with the new motor and the old 4.0 and the old motor is way better. test drive one and you will love the jeep, but you will not want to tow with it. sorry to kill the hope... just my $.02
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-14-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
I have owned two 4 door Wranglers. A 2007 Sahara that my wife drove for three years, and a 2008 Rubicon that I owned and drove for 8 months. My wife's sahara saw grocery store and commuting duty, which it did ok with, but the best mileage we ever saw with it was 13 mpg, usually more like 11 mpg. My 2008 Rubicon was a cool ride, but was very anemic with the engine that they come with. With a bike rack on the back and two mountain bikes, two adults in it, the Jeep struggled to get up any sort of hill.

I once hooked up the boat to the Jeep to get the boat out of the garage and take it to the marine center for service which is about a 5 mile drive on flat surface streets. My wife had my truck at the time and I did not want to wait for her to get home to get it done. I towed about two miles and pulled into my buddies neighborhood and asked to borrow his Toyota Tacoma to finish the job. The Jeep got pushed pulled barely could get the boat moving and did not want to stop it. The only reason I stopped was because of the trailer brakes being adjusted well. It was a very scary pull for sure. The Tacoma did a much better job than the Jeep did. I would never attempt to pull a boat any distance or up any hill with a wrangler again.

I am sorry to tell you that if you are looking to tow with one it will be a mistake. If you want a fun vehicle to cruise around (at slow speed) with the top off then it doesn't get any better than a wrangler, unless you want it to feel sporty, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

BTW, we sold both of our wranglers and got into vehicles that were more practical for our needs as commuters/around town rides.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-14-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
i was wondering the same
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-14-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
For a ton of info on the 2007 and newer Wranglers go to jk-forum.com but be warned they are addicting just like boats are and can be very expensive. I think you will see though that they don't tow well.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-14-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
My sister has an older 2 door Wrangler not sure what year. It has the 4 litre 6, what a piece of crap, that motor makes very little power given the displacement, honestly it feels like the most underpowered vehicle I've ever driven. I wouldn't dream of towing anything with it, maybe a v8 one would be better.

Hopefully Jeep has some better motors these days.

(Message edited by jtnz on February 14, 2010)
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-14-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
no way can you tow with a jeep - not just because the motor is so weak but because it will be at the dealer for repair all the time.

- big skip!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-14-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
wow! sounds like it needs a small block conversion. had no idea the motor sucked so bad.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-14-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
You could put a bigger motor in it, but it still doesn't have a sturdy frame or brakes to stop the boat.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
If you're going to tow with a Jeep, you need one like this with a 401!!!

J/K... I'd never dream of towing my boat with it, just other trucks off the hill!

Upload
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Your right on the Sequoia it is an incredible tow vehicle but perhaps pricey unless you buy the stripped down SR5. The powertrain is awsome. After 55k on my 08 it has not been to the dealer once. I was going to use the word unstoppable...perhaps I should get that gas pedal fixed...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I towed with the Nitro (same engine & trans) & it did OK. It was rated for 3500 lbs, or up to 5000 with an equalizer.
If your just towing a few blocks or miles & not planning on any long trips, the Jeep would probably do it.
And only if your trailer has brakes on it too.
Old     (timmy240)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-15-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Our boy here in the Cities installs hemi's turn key at BOR

burnsvilleoffroad.com
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-15-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
I have a Land Rover LR3 I tow with.. No problem.. =) I off road it too... just thought id throw that out there since u mentioned the defender.. =)
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-15-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
I had a lifted 05' Wrangler that I used to tow my Moomba lsv with no problems. Had to drop it in 4W Lo on those steep ramps but that's about it. I went on a 3hr road trip with it as well, hard to get up to 60mph but it did it. haha.

I upgraded to an F250 though, a little overkill for my boat. Kind of regret it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
don,
The new motor and your motor are totally different. The new motor is a 3.8 V6 and although they tell you it has more power than the I6 4.0, there is no way it does.
Regardless of power, as others have said there is a problem when your trailer weighs more than your tow vehicle and can push it around....
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-15-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. It is sounding like a resounding NO from a group I trust. I informed the wife that the vehicle will replace the Tahoe will likely be. A Tahoe. I'll miss her but really need the replacement. 193000miles, no side view mirror, weird alternator issues, quirky heater. Time to go. But she's been great. By the way, regarding Land Rovers, I've had one Defender 90 and 2 Discovery Series II's. A 2001 and a 2002. Towed with both, it didn't go well. Towing with the Defeneder was awful. "90" means 90 inch wheelbase which translates to horrid behaviour on the highway. Just towed the Ski Nautique 2001 with the Defender and the Discoveries. Not sure how they'd handle the Super Air. Probably not well.

And certianly not well for that 230 in my future.

Another Tahoe. Got it. Thanks. I'll keep dreamin' on that Jeep.