Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Hey, I've just really got into taking pics, and would love some advice and imput on my pics. These are from the other day with Brad Smeele of Ronix at a demo day. Let me know your thoughts.

Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-18-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
your pics are awesome. good job
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2008, 11:40 PM Reply   
A couple more

Upload
Upload
Old     (justinlkgb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-19-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
Nice pics dude, are they taken from in the boat??
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-19-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Shoot wider so there's some perspective.(like your 5th shot)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
like walt said, wider shots.
don't center subject all the time.
also, is there a reason everything's blacked out except for the rider in the 2nd pic?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-19-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
I like the last shot with the dark BG and the spray whipping off the board. You could use some highlite adjustment in 4 & 5 and don't forget to turn spellcheck on!
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys, you have no idea how much it means to me getting your imput and advice. All of these shots were from the boat pulling the rider. I had actually cropped most of them above to get a close up.

Hey Joe, I decided to edit the one with everything blacked out just for fun. I'm currently have Photoshop 7, and I'm really clueless with this program. I can do a few things with it, but really don't know where to start hahaha. I just bought a 200-500 lens too, and I'm hoping to use it soon to do some pics from a chase boat and also from land. Here are some more pics that I took that are wider. Let me know what you think, and keep the advice coming!! Thanks guys!!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rmiszti)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
If you dont know how to use photoshop the internet can be your best friend. Try searching up something like Photoshop tips and tricks or something along those lines. You will find a lot of useful techniques and ways to munipulate pictures.
Also it seems like you are trying to center your subject a lot. Dont worry about that. Try using the rule of thirds, hopefully you know what that is, if not ill explain it to you.
And the final thing I suggest depends on your camera. But if you are shooting a canon like I am, look into the 28-135 or 28-105 Image stabilization lenses. They are invaluable for those times when you are shooting from a boat. especially for the wide shots.
If you have any questions feel free to ask, i've been doing photography for a while and I love helping people become better cause its an art form.
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Hey Rob, thanks for the advise. Sorry, but I'm really not sure what you mean by rule of thirds. If you could help explain that to me..haha

Also, I also purchased the 28-135 IS lens when I got the 200-500, and I love that one also. It is a great lens. I will try and search up on the photoshop tips.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
Bradley, The 28-135 IS lens is also my fav. for shooting from the boat or chase and a great walking around lens.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
your composition and horizons are off. dont just point a shoot. plan your shot and keep your camera straight.

keep shooting mang. good job.
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
Hey Randy, I've thought about getting a filter to help with glare on that 28-135 lens, do you have any recommendations, or what might work the best for me?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
Bradley, I don't have one, but have been told it helps and also protects the glass. I'm like you, not sure what to get. Joe, Walt?
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
Hey Adam, I meant to mention this earlier, but where I'm still a little new with all this photography talk , can you help me out with what you mean by my composition and horizons are off? I appreciate it!!

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice. Where is everyone from? I live in Southwest VA near TN, KY border.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
look at the tree or beach line in a bunch of your photos.... one side is higher than the other.... i shoot skate and snow so i always find a vertical object and straighten out the shot.

to figure out composition... check copy of alliance or one of the mags' photo sections. check out how guys like letch, meddock etc shoot photos. a good picture is one that tells a story.

let me know if that helps.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-21-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
All of your major photo editing apps come with a transform tool that allows you to straighten out your horizon. It's a pretty common problem when you're shooting from a chase boat or from the tow boat.