Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
Any ideas to help me out before i take it in?

I've been pulling my boat out of the garage every three weeks or so and running it with the fake-a-lake during the winter months. Today, i went out there to start it, and all i get is a click from the engine compartment. I'm assuming the batteries are ok, as i have two of them, and they seem to be firing up the stereo just fine, but let me know if there is anything i should check before bringing it in to the dealer. Thanks.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-05-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Check the safety lanyard for the ign. It is something so basic but sometimes gets bumped off.
But since you are saying it just "clicks". It may be a starter problem. Try having someone tap on the starter with like a small hammer while you turn the ig. over. If it starts, its def. the starter. If not, make sure the engine is not hydro locked by seeing if you can turn the engine over by hand(put a socket and use a breaker bar or big ratchet and turn clockwise).Should be able to be spun with some resistance though.
Good luck--hope for the best.

O yea--dont forget that basic's like checking all the battery cables. Make sure there tight. Sometimes the cables will be tight enough to run the stereo and other acc. but when the ign. is turned to start it just shuts down. Check all the battery and cable connectors.

(Message edited by big x-star on March 05, 2005)
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-05-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
solenoid? our centurion just clicked sometimes, sometimes it'd start, changed the solenoid and everythings good now
Old    scooterx            03-06-2005, 4:57 AM Reply   
It could be a dead spot on the solenoid so I agree with everything said above. However, I'd charge up the batts first. The may be a little weak from sitting. Have you had them on a maintenance charger? They may have enough power for the stereo but not enough to crank the engine.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-06-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
I think Thomas H hit the nail on the head.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-07-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
You can try to tap the solenoid with a hammer while someone else turns the key ... if it starts, replace the starter because it will leave you stranded on the water. Did you ever get 5-6" of water in your bilge last fall? If the starter got wet at all, you'll probably need a new one.