Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    surf_da_wake            01-30-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
hey guys i need some help here on a real beginner question...you know the steps u take to do hs wake jumps? First you edge out...then you flatten your board...then carve and edge on ur heels towards the wake...and flatten your board when ure abt one foot frm the wake then u pop off right?

ok its been MONTHS now and i tink i really suck...i can jump clear across 2 wakes on a 60ft line...but im not getting any air at all...the jumps are so slow i feel like i barely jumped 1 foot most of the time. i tink its gotta do with my whole setup frm the time i try to carve in on my heels towards the wake. something feels wrong...and weird.

after edging out on my toes, while flattening the board, i feel like im getting pulled really fast and close to the wake. i dun noe how to carve and get into the "sitting chair" position on my heels to edge in towards the wake and finally get that pop. i cant figure out how to do the 'transition' from the time i edge out to when i hit the wake.

someone help pls i feel so damn frustrated...ive been trying my damn hs jumps for ages now. im like permanently stuck at this stage 'coz i cant advance to learn other tricks w/o mastering this basic wake to wake jump.

Old    walt            01-30-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
You want to make your cut by starting slowly and edge harder (progressive) and harder as you approach the wake. You should stay on edge all the way through the wake and have the handle close to your leading hip. If you flatten out as you hit the wake you won't have the pop that your looking for. The line tension at the wake is what gives pop not speed. good luck
Old    wickedwake            01-30-2005, 10:51 AM Reply   
Yes, edge through the wake. Im sure once you do this you will at least get some pop. But you also have to learn your progressive edge. But edge through the wake and you will see a dramatic improvement!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-30-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Just something to try: drift out only about 5 feet or so, cut hard at the wake, and try to just straighten your legs, push your chest up and out, pull the handle hard to your hips, and pop straight up. You'll land in the center of the wakes but you'll get to know that pop feeling.

Once you get that down, to help you with your progressive edge, think of the pull on the rope and the aggressiveness of your stance as if you are just falling away from the boat. At first you are just tipping back slowly and gently but as you fall over more (and as you get closer to the wake), your stance becomes more aggressive and the pull becomes harder. Hitting the wake will be just like when you practiced popping straight up but everything will be faster. You'll be moving faster and all of your motions (legs straight, chest out, handle to hips) will be timed to that faster approach.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-30-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
Stacey: I sort of had the same problem. I didn't realize what i was doing wrong, b/c i was getting some air, but not as much as I could potentially get. Finally, we were able to get a short video clip with our digital camera. I am now able to see that i am flattening out and not edging in hard enough.

The main thing is to get a comfortable progressive edge into the wake and keep it through the wake as well.

If you get the chance get a hold of a video camera. Then you can see for yourself what you are doing wrong.
Old    murrayair            01-30-2005, 9:37 PM Reply   
Where does this idea of flattening out as you hit the wake come from? I swear, almost all the people I have ever taught to wakeboard have this preconcieved notion that you are supposed to stop edging. It's obviously not their fault, which means that people are out there spreading ignornce. It drives me nuts.

(Message edited by murrayair on January 30, 2005)
Old    surf_da_wake            01-31-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
wow r u serious? almost everyone ive wakeboarded with have told me ure s'pose to flatten out abt a few feet before the wake and at the same time push off at the foot of the wake to get that pop.

i see all my frenz popping off so effortlessly but it takes a great big deal of energy outta me juz to push off the wake.

i dun know how to sit back on my heels enough! i seem to be approaching the wake too fast!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Stacey ~ you need some new friends. Where do you live? Maybe you should come out with our crew and we can give you pointers.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-31-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
If you can't clear the wake, in every case, it's because you didn't edge all the way through the top of the wake. "Flattening out your board before you reach the wake is wrong. Edge all the way up and through the top of the wake. Stand tall at the top and pull the handle close to your lead hip. Look for the shoreline. You'll definately get more pop and clear the wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
ant bug, work it!

in all seriousness, stacey, you may want to consider finding new riding partners. from the sound of things, you're getting fed false information and bad advice.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-31-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
I'm going to offer the pendulum analogy. Think of your cut in terms of a pendulum's motion. You are going slowest at the widest part(after you've cut out toeside) and as you start to drift back to the wake you steadily increase your edge until you have the hardest edge at the top of the wake. This is achieved by proper handle control. You have to keep your elbows in tight to your side(ie have mass back muscles). Now about your body position, try this. Go to the edge of your couch or chair that you are sitting on (careful if it has wheels) now jump off and try and land in the "ready position" knees bent to absorb shock and stance wide to stabilize yourself. This is the position you want to be in while edging as you ride up the wake(on edge) you extend up with both legs evenly. The wake is not like a ramp or snowboard jump where you go off flat, the wake is moving and has a lot of energy. To be harnessed & used for upward pop you must remain on edge. Hope it helps, where in CA? There are plenty of folks willing to show you the light.
Old    clubjoeskier            01-31-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Palms down on the handle too...wasn't mentioned, and I thought might help with overall success. I had over-under grip when I jumped my slalom, and brought the habit with me when I learned to wakeboard. This thread also gave me some things to try, Thanks!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-31-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
"i dun know how to sit back on my heels enough!"

Try tying a handle to a stationary object and try leaning against to learn the proper fourm of getting back on to your heels. Take a look at some pictures of riders in Alliance and/or WBM to get an idea of how you should be cutting, and try to imitate that leaning against your handle while keeping the handle low to your hips (which is basically your center of gravity). Try it both ways heelside and toeside, and practice, practice, practice. Then when you are on the water start cutting in and hold that position all the way up the wake, push off the top and blast off!!

BTW: Remember while cutting in to the wake the harder you pull against the boat the faster you will go.

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on January 31, 2005)
Old    surf_da_wake            02-03-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
ant bug: thks dude i'd love to ride with a new crew anything but unfortunately i ain't in cali right now!

will be trying all the great tips nxt time i ride...will update y'all! thks guys!