Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
So to make a long story short.. o2 ws vlx.. motor blew at 75 hrs.. new motor.. but when they put it in,, they"forgot" the black oil drain hose..
so now to change oil i had to buy a oil pressure suckey thing(lol, short of words)and suck through the dipstick.
.. but this does not empty all the oil.. it only get about 3/4. they said they cannot put another hose back on.
do any of u have any other methods, do u feel dealer should be responsible.
thanks in advance.
skylar
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
of course the dealer is responsible dont take that BS!!
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-25-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
thats just plain ridiculous
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Tell that dealer if it is not addressed in 48 hrs that his name will be all over the internet...
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-25-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
DEMAND A NEW BOAT!
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-25-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
visit your local nautique dealer

and is this the famous skydog that does the TN flyin?
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
Of course they "can" put a new hose on. But it probably means pulling the engine, and they just don't want to go to all that trouble (and eat up expensive shop time). Too bad; after you make them correct the error, they'll probably remember in the future.

Yes, it is a lot of work just to replace a little hose. But that not your fault or your problem. You're entitled to get your boat back with all engine accessories attached. Politely but firmly insist that they correct their error. If they continue to balk, get Malibu involved. You also may want to talk to the BBB to see what assistance or advice they can provide.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
yes i agree w/ you guys 100%. Thanks again. im going to take the boat down in the next week or two. luckily its tax season so i wont need the boat till after april 15, but hopefully we get this resolved befor then. I will post an update.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
dude, sorry to hear about this situation..

couple of questions...

why did the motor blow at 75 hrs ?

is the boat still under warranty ?

are you the original owner ?

who paid for the engine rebuild?

ask them why another hose can't be put in...or is it they dont want to (there is a hugh differece between can't ad won't )

whoever put the new motor should be responsible for their work...

btw, jeff guilford is right on
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
origional owner. .. boat is still under warranty, signed a new warranty after the second motor. maybe a yr ago. the engine re build was all done under warranty, by the dealership. the motor i guess was miss firing in the 6th cylinder, monsoon 325.. cause it to loose compression. i never brought it to attention to the owner of the dealership. only person who i told was the main mechanic, and the person in charge of service and repair. he was the one who said we cannot do it. im going to call over tomorrow we will see what happens.
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-25-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
ok not the skydog i was thinking of... lol... checked your site out skylar

Besides visiting your nautique dealer, maybe just put about 2 minutes of effort into trying to fix it on your own, just to say you tried to fix something you never should have had to and then make up some lame ass story about you not being able to go out on the lake b/c of this problem.

Maybe you'll get a brand new Malibu "loner" for a year or two or something...
Old    jmo52            01-25-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
Can you get to the oil pressure sending unit? If so you can remove it screw in a nipple throw a hose on it start it up and pump the oil out. To be honest with you the oil sucky thing isnt that bad. We use them all the time.
Old    fun9c1            01-26-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
"Can you get to the oil pressure sending unit? If so you can remove it screw in a nipple throw a hose on it start it up and pump the oil out."

WHAT?? That is THE WORST advice I've ever heard.

The dealer is, like everyone says, responsible to replace it if it was there when they started work. The unfortunate fact is, though, it's like David vs Golieth and good luck getting them to do it. Not saying don't try, but good luck.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-26-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Go to the Malibu owners site forums - there have been a lot of problems with the Monsoon.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
I think you may be confusing the Hammerhead problems with the Monsoon. The Monsoon is one of the most reliable motors in the industry. From what I have seen and read, there are a fair number of Hammerhead failures, a few number of Corvette failures, but this is the first major Monsoon issue that I have seen. I don't think I would consider this a failure. But this is just my observation.

I believe this to be an isolated incident.

(Message edited by mikeski on January 26, 2005)
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-26-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Skydog..

That hose was on the engine when you bought the boat, and it should be on there now. Period.
And then they rebuilt the engine that blew up and installed it?
Among many other things, you should have had a brand new in the crate engine to replace the brand new engine that let go.

Rebuildiing an engine that has lost compression at 75 hours causes the gearhead in me some concern.

Piston/bore problem, head gasket problem, or valvetrain?

Piston problem-Did they bore one cylinder and slap a piston in it?

Head gasket problem- Did they just put a head gasket on it, or find the problem that caused it to fail in the first place? Cylinder head milled? (you can only do this so many times before the the head is junk)?

Valvetrain failure? In a fesh engine, Broken parts here are usually oil releated failures, i.e. not enough where it is needed, or improper assembly issues.

You bought and pand for a boat with a new (75 hours) engine in it, and they owe you same.
The only way to get there is buy them installing a new engine in your boat.

A rebuild, while okay, is not a new engine.
I would want to see the sheet on the rebuild and see what parts and labor went in to it.
Actually, I would have demanded to see these docs before signing anything.
If this was a, "ring and bearing" and back together, "rebuild" then you have, in my humble opinion, been taken to the cleaners by the dealer...who probably farmed the work out to a local machine shop. Dealers, as a general rule, don't have a machine shop on site.

My stink-o-meter is going off here, I'd be going over this whole thing with a magnifying glass.

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
whoa..... original owner and even new warranty !!!!

that level of service is totally, totally, totally unacceptable..no ifs.. no ands.. no buts...

if they are not willing to fix it... you do have a couple of options on recourse.

-contact the west malibu rep (check you email, left you his phone number) he might be able to get another bu shop to service yor boat

-small claims court as a last recourse(get some estimates from the nautique & mastercraft dealer (authorized indmar dealer).. small claims is good for $5k and under). you'll win the case no problem- would go for the cash and have another dealer do the service.

also check the lemon law...since you are in california it should apply...

its up to you if you want to take your back there again... i personally wouldnt let that dealer touch it again..they did a bad job and wont take responsability for it. would also post your experience here and on the bu website.

mastercraft or the nautique dealer should be able to take care of the warranty work on the motor but the rest of your boat you are on your own or another bu dealer..

soory to hear about the situation..
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-26-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
Mikeski,

You are correct - I am confusing the Monsoon with the Hammerhead. Sorry everyone for the misinformation...

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
Although the new hammerhead is supposed to be pretty impressive!!!
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
great news, they are gonna take care of the problem immediately.
thanks again.
Skylar
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
It was good to read that the dealer is addressing the problem to your satisfaction. I have a '03 WS VLX (with about 100 hrs.) which I'm taking to Paradise in Riverside this Friday for it's annual service. I hope it dosen't rain. I imagine you took your VLX to the dealer in Ventura. I always heard good things about Tilly's, so I'm not surprised they are going to take care of it. Keep us posted if anything new develops.