Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Looking for some ideas for a 3 day (thurs night through Sun) vacation with my wife. Seems like there is always a wealth of info on WW so I figured I'd give this a shot. Open to just about anything, but don't want to travel too far (i.e. out of the country)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Got to go with the proven ones - Napa Wine tasting, Tahoe (Anywhere), Newport Beach, or one of our favorites - Yosemite.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-04-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Looks like he's in Iowa...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
in IL, but i'm willing to fly... so those are good suggestions.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-04-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Yosemite is amazing, but the flight time plus drive time would probably not be worth it for a long weekend... Do you guys ski/snowboard?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-04-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
SF
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
For something different we did NYC in November. It's a blast. If you do this, hit me up for a list of great restaurants.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Funny, I did NYC in Novemer a few years back, loved it! It was one of my favorite trips ever. However, I feel that if you are going to do NYC in the winter it'd have to be between mid November and New Years.
Attached Images

Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-04-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Cancun. I assume you said not out of the country as a measure of distance. Cancun not much longer of a flight then the west coast. Go visit summer!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'd agree, Hate. I've been there in April several times before and the weather is fine then too. I'd skip Jan, Feb & Mar. (Nice Gar by the way!)
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Yeah, not really interested in going anywhere colder than where I already am
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
If you want to get warmer, Southern California would be great for you guys. You could do anywhere between Los Angeles and San Diego. I don't even know where to start as to what all you could do. It depends on what you like.

Oh yeah, and you might try some travel sites and see if there are any weekend vacation/flight deals out of your local airport.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-04-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
Vegas or Miami/Keys are nice and plenty to do
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
What I have done in the past, is pull out a map.......draw a circle with a radius of about 2500 miles, the most I'll ever fly for a short vacation is abtou 2-2.5 hours. Luckily cabo and cancun are in my circle, lol.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, right now I'm leaning towards Vegas.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-11-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
We stayed at the Pallazzo the last time we were there. The rooms were awesome. Hit a bunch of great food and a Cirq de Soleil show. It was great. Not a bad way to go.

I guess it depends on what you want from a trip. I'm not a gambler, so vegas is fine once every 5 years or so. Otherwise, my first choice is Cabo (which is in my 2.5 hour circle... LOL!) Tahoe and Yosemite are gorgeous. We have a house in Tahoe, so it doesn't really qualify as a 3 day getaway spot, otherwise, it'd probably be at or near the top of my list. I actually prefer Tahoe during the summer, though. More to do.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-11-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
I am a big vegas fan. We are going there for our aniversary in early march. We have done the crazy trips to vegas before but this one is just gonna be more of a relaxing get away. We are staying at Aria and going to a couple of nice dinners. I will say that is the cool thing about vegas you can go there and get crazy or just go out to some shows and eat at some nice dinners. Really looking forword to the trip. We are going three days so kind of what you were looking for.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-11-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Love Vegas. Wife and I go every year. We're looking hard at the Aria Corner Suite for this next trip. Lot of dough though.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-11-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Staying in corner suite at aria in early march. I will let you know how it is. We stayed in the penthouse last year. And that had a private check in and lounge with free food and booze. But we are not ballin like that for just the two of us. We love the hotel though.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
Santa Barbara or San Diego. both have airports, although Santa Barbara could be a bit tougher to get a direct from your neck of the woods.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
That thing in Santa Barbara is an airport? I used to fly in there when my girlfriend (now wife) went to school there. Always a propeller plane from what I remember. Dinky. SB is rad, though. Nice little getaway spot.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
haha evan. yeah, SB calls it an airport alright. I think they might have actually moved their baggage claim indoors now as well. they actually have quite a few direct flights now. Portland, Seattle, Denver, and of course the usual ones out of Los Angeles. I prefer to fly out of SB rather than LA or even Burbank. I will pay the additional $50 to not have to deal with the traffic or other hassles from the airports to the south of me.