Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2009, 12:09 AM Reply   
I've started a project to add a trim tab to my boat (Sanger V210). Although the V210 doesn't need a plate to perform well I'm trying to achieve the following:
1. Increase efficiency out of the hole when heavily weighted
2. Decrease wake size and narlyness at slower speed for the women and children.
3. Eliminate porpoise at high speeds
4. Wave shaping when surfing

The heart of the system is the plate which will be a stock Lectrotab ram with a custom made plate and a custom controller.

The controller takes an input from the PP paddle wheel and will automatically move the plate to an adjustable position depending on the speed. The normal operation will be to push the tab all the way down to get out of the hole then retract full once above 16mph.

I'm assembling all the parts now and will have some photos of the progress soon.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-28-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
can't wait to see how it works!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-28-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
yeah i've thought and thought about it. your def. better electrically than i am. The big disconnect i have is how does the controller know you hit 16mph?

I am VERY interested in your results. I def. want to do this to my boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-28-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
^Perfect Pass paddle wheel.

Sounds like a great solution for a loaded down boat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Got the plate back from the engineer this morning. Not the prettiest thing but beefy, I will give it a polish up and see how it looks. We were going to use a piano style hinge but he has used 2 heavy duty hinges instead.
Upload
Upload
This is the preliminary design for the control pad, I'm going to have a go at turning up the backplate from billet and see how it looks.
Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-28-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
That is a serious looking plate.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-29-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Why not just get a premade Bennett or Lenco tab?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-29-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
Interested in the controller portion
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
This sounds like a great idea, but have you seen smart tabs?

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

Adding these would likely do everything you are looking for and be alot cheaper/simpler.

I have them on my boat and they work like a charm... no bow raise when coming onto plane, planes much quicker and once up and running (above 18mph) you don't know they're there other than improved turning performance.

The principle is that that gas ram is depressed the faster you go... so when stationary its all the way down... but as you pop onto plane it slowly raises (heavily damped)... until its inline with the hull when there's enough pressure to hold it there.

I swear by them now... and the best bit.. they were dirt cheap!

Might be worth trying....
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-01-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Brit! There is a huge difference in the smart tabs and what Ralf is trying to do. your smart tabs just put enough pressure to keep your nose from bouncing but can't add more pressure or enough pressure to change the shape of the wake. That is what Ralf is trying to do. Reshaping the wake from the drivers seat. I have a manual version on my Supra and will add a electric motor to mine soon. And Ralf you are heading down the right road. Keep us informed. Jet
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
those are commercial grade door hinges...4 1/2''. they are gonna rust in no time if they're the typical stanley hinges :-)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Probably stainless hinges, I doubt he'd let something like that slip through the cracks.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
i hope they are. i left a set of hinges in my truck , somehow they rusted?
can't wait to see the final product!! keep it up
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, yes they are stainless hinges. I took some measurements on the weekend and we are all go. I will machine up the control panel this week.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-02-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
I agree with Pete on the hinges, however a very cool project keep us updated.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
I got my billet! Will spend some lathe time tonight.
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2009, 12:00 AM Reply   
Ok, finished most of the lathe work. Going to part it off now and see how it looks. I made two parts because if it looks good I will replace my PP bevel as well so the dash looks the same on the left and right. (PP position left and auto tab position right)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2009, 1:43 AM Reply   
Ok got the auto tab control base finished. Looks great! Next job is to drill the holes for the buttons, knob and lights, then polish & get the backing label made. I'll finish the PP bezel tomorrow cause the wife is enquiring of my where abouts....
Upload
Upload
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-03-2009, 4:06 AM Reply   
Ralph, you are so clever...
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-03-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Still wanting to see what type of controller you will use, I wish the PP had some control over a Lenco actuator. Last time I talked to them I think they said that the auto-tab Controller only went to a fixed position & back to up when the key is turned off.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Tinker tinker....
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
Should get the up down buttons back from the lazer engravers early next week, then I can get the backing label made up in vinyl
Upload
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
This is a great thread, good work man!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-04-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
+1 on the great thread. Still dont know how the hell your going to make it auto?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure supra's OEM is a timer! I.E 2 seconds is 30 degrees, etc, etc.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
We are using a timer too. Full stroke from up to down takes 8 seconds. The speed input is piggy backed off the PP paddle wheel.

There is a trigger speed which motors the plate full up then down for a number of seconds depending where the centre knob is adjusted to: Knob at zero = zero seconds down (ie full up), knob at 100 = 8 seconds down (ie full down)

The trigger speed and down position are both adjustable, just not from the control plate. Big thanks to krbaugh for the adjustable knob idea.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-05-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
Nice!! U'll have to post some pics' of the timer setup wired in., Is it the Supra timer?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
Dude Very cool!!!!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-07-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
I have a 01' Moomba Mobius V, with Perfect Pass Pro, and a Bennet manual trim tab. Do you know of a way that I can make it auto?

Are you planning on making any more of those control plates to sell?

That would be a sweet up grade.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Where is the order sheet? Darren..you showed us, now you have to take the orders. LOL! I actually have the manual plate on my Supra already so I'm waiting on the hardware part of this thread. Can't wait. Jet
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Pretty sure this will be a one shot deal, there are easier ways to make money than selling boat stuff, but who knows I'll do the testing and see how good it is. I am super happy to release the control diagram and logic. My Dad is the electronics engineer and has the controller all done on the patch panel, he is retired and likes to tinker with this stuff but this project has driven him crazy with weird problems. We will make the installable version of the controller next week.

Up/Down buttons come back from the printer today, he could not lazer the arrows on because the chrome was too hard so we are stuck with vinyl arrows, not super stoked with that as a solution but I'll see how they wear.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
you are talented my friend. Nice work.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
It is a little late for this suggestion but you could leave the up and down buttons off all together and us the external blinker type switch that most boats use
Upload
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-09-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
If he wants to make a extra controller I would love to have one, I'm not concerned about the " bling"
Old    mendo247            06-10-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
Way nice Darren!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-10-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Control looks sick, you must be running out of dashboard by now though haha.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, i am really enjoy this project. I've never really worked with alloy before, it is super fun. I've seen those controllers on the supras and too be honest they aren't the prettiest things in the world, anyway I'm super happy to have all the controls on one panel.

Control panel pretty much done, just buffed it, clear coat tonight & legit backing label here Monday. Plenty of space for more stuff Jos, Sanger is super on to it and even made a space for it on the right.
Upload
Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-11-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
I should have known... looks real nice polished up.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
Finished the replacement PP bezel today. Old plastic on one the left, new billet alloy one on the right.
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
Ok, control plate done. Next job is to sort the rams.
Upload
Upload
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Wow impressive work and a great thread. I'm looking forward to hearing about the performance.