Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-24-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
ok, so i am going to order the drive + play. From the searches i have done on here, i have seen a few pictures. however, its hard for me to tell how you actually hook it up.

i have a 2002 xstar, so my stereo is on the passenger side.
1. will this cause a problem? will i still be able to mount the controls near the steering wheel? (i didnt know how long the wires are that plug into the aux input)
2. did you have to drill any holes in the dash in order to run the wires?
3. the round piece that you use as the control, thats wireless, right? thats what i understood from their website.

thanks for the help and any pictures you have handy, please post them again. i might have already seen them in a search but just trying to get some ideas.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-24-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Great thread idea. I just ordered one myself and need some ideas. I have a 99 205V/Xstar/X2/X1 also
Old    malibu_nut            04-24-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
i don't have any specific details on the install for your boat, however I put one in my old malibu and i have one in my truck. the ones i have are a year old so they may be different. the controler and the display are both wired on mine. they are not wireless. the wires for them should be plenty long for you to run them from passenger side to the drivers side. it comes with a harness to either hard wire it into the boats electronics or you can plug it into a cigarette lighter if you'd like.
Old     (luckyj)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
please posts pics if you can
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-24-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
The new drive+play 2 control is wireless....this unit is about 400, while the older style you can find for under 100 on ebay. It has wired controls.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
here is how i had mine done. it is all wired of course...
Upload
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Tyler, who did your stereo install?
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
You can either hook it up to an AuxIn on your stereo or if it doesn't have one, there comes an inline FM-Transmitter with the Drive + Play. The frequenzies can be changed with the distancecontrol and is shown on the display.
You shouldn't really be worried about cable length, there's pretty.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-25-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
Here are some pics of my installUpload
Upload
works great!
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-25-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
Mine is also wired. I drilled a hole just big enough to fit the wire through for the round control so you can't see the wire. I wired mine into power on boat and use RCA's to hook it up instead of the FM trans. I've never had much luck with them and sound quality. I also put a small pouch under dash o put Ipod out of the way and to keep dry.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
lionel,
Hear No Evil in Salem. They did a great job. Still need to get it out and play with it, but preliminary vote is very good....
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-26-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
have any of you had any problems with it getting wet? obviously, rain wont be good for it. so moounting out in the open could be an issue. but what about after you get out of the water and just get a few drops on it from being wet yourself. any problems with that? or is it not that sensitive?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
i have heard it does not handle water well, but no experience.... i made sure mine was all mounted under the protection of the windshield
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-26-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I'm planning on taking a couple of zip-loc bags and a few rubber bands in case of rain or other water.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
dumb question...especially coming from an audiophile(just been outta of the loop for a while...I have two little kids now) But what does this HK do? I have a friend that works for HK that might hook me up with discounts.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
You hook your ipod up to it. Then you hook the HK up to the stereo. The creen displays your ipod screen and the knob navigates your ipod. It is a great way to keep your ipod away from damage and allow song and playlist scrolling
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-26-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
I am waiting for the second generation drive and play. Same as above with color screen, satellite radio and blue tooth for a cell phone. Due out this month but it's $400.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

Upload
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
The problem I think that is going to happen with the drive and play 2 is the color screen will have glare problems. Also the SR and BT modules are extra,
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
hmmmmm. sounds good. Thanks Preston and Dave. I'll check on a price from my friend Dave at HK and get back with ya on this unit. I got a surround sound unit model 1975 about 4 years ago...listed retail for over 2k. Picked it up for $600 brand new. I'll see what I can work out and get the details tonight after work. Stay tuned...hahaha
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-26-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Yes, glare might be a problem. I think choosing a mounting spot will be important. Maybe a small plastic visor or hood over it could help.

Yes the satellite radio and blue tooth modules will be extra. I just like the idea of having everything integrated. The bluetooth phone is the most important feature to me.

I was at CarToys in Portland the other day and they still don't have them in. They did say that the HK rep brought one in awhile back and that it looked real good.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-26-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
can someone explain to me this bluetooth phone integration thing? what exactly does your phone do through the HK?
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-26-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
It mutes the music when your phone rings and allows you to hear the caller through the boat speakers. I'm sure it will include a microphone also.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I like the idea of this unit and I am looking forward to hearing how people like it. The thing with me is that since my unit will be around the water and I store my boat in a hoist on the water I would hate to spend 400 and the unit get fried. I might consider this unit for my truck though.