Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
re-do'ing some things, i now have a sub rated at a 2 ohm load, my amp is putting out a 4 ohm load, what is the good/bad on this ?
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Your amp will probably run hotter if it will play a 2 ohm load at all. We need specifics to give you a better answer.
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
here's what i have: sub- dual 4 ohm voice coil, so it can be either 2 ohm parallel or 8 ohm series...amp is either 100 x 2 @ 2 ohms, 150 x 2 @ 4 ohms, or 300 x 1 @ 4 ohms
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Your amp is not 2 ohm stable when bridged, at least from the specs that you gave. Your sub will cut out at high volumes do to the amp being unstable. To keep that from happening run only one of the 2 channels (Not Bridged). Or realisticly replaced your amp with one that is 2 or 1 ohm stable. Will get a better result if you do.
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
what if i run the vc's in series for an 8 ohm load, wouldn't that be safe, i just wouldn't get the full 300 watts @ 4 ohms?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
It would be safe, but either way the loudness and ability for the sub to hit will be hindered. Personally i would run it as you currently have it wired and just re wire the amp, that way your not putting more holes in to your box, or weaking your box more. I would try and save some money and get an amp that is 2 ohm stable that is capable of running your new sub. You can get some good mono block sub amps for under 250. Check out like sonicelectronix.com
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-30-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
You are gonna get 300 watts into that sub one of two ways: voice coils in series bridged to the amp or one voice coil per channel at 4 ohms. The amp does not know the difference between either setup, do whatever is easiest to wire.

The amp is not stable at 2 ohms, it will either distory heavily, get really hot, or fail altogether.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
Don't wire one voice coil of the sub to each channel of the amp. Thats not reccomended, due to the possibility of fading teh source one direction or the other, or due to inconsistancies in teh amp.

Powering one voice coil seperate of another is all bad for a DVC sub.

Wire the voice coils in parallel to get a 2 ohm load, and run only 1 channel of the amp until you can afford a better amp.
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       05-01-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
thanks for the input. i ended up exchanging the sub for a dual 2 ohm voice coil model, run it in series for 4 ohm load, match the 300 w 4 ohm output.