Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Looking for a place to rent some glass. I know Keeble & Shuchat rent lenses but does anyone else? Looking for a 17-55 2.8 or something in that focal range for a Nikon mount.

I know of the online places. Just thought I could pick it up locally and save on the shipping.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-11-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
AP-

Calumet Photo.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=compinfo.CompStoreLocDetail&ac.comp.l ocID=SF

Address: 2001 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

Phone: 415-643-9275

Fax: 415-643-9280

Their rental catalog: http://webres.calumetphoto.com/webres/pdfs/SanFran.pdf

17-55mm/2.8 available for $28/day.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
Ah. thanks.

Found another www.borrowlenses.com

Based out of San Mateo. No store front but they will meet you at a starbucks and give you the lens
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-12-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
You can also check out Adolph Gassers: http://www.gassers.com/5.html

AP - Damn..! A Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS rental for only $139.00 for 3-weeks?!!?!?!?
Old     (borrowlensescom)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 2:15 AM Reply   
Hi Guys,

Saw some hits coming from here and decided to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Max and I am the co-founder of http://www.BorrowLenses.com.

AP, thanks for the shout-out and yes, we like to keep our prices low and not pay rent for a storefront, thus you get your lens with a cup of coffee :-)

Kung Fu, we are able to undercut B&M places by a lot since we are primarily an online lens rental company and also think they are charging way too much for their lenses...

Let me know if you guys have any questions about our service.

Thanks, Max
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hello Max, thanks for chiming in.

Probably wouldn't expect a lot of photography hits from a wakeboarding website but this is where I get a lot of photography info. Several people who visit this board shoot the wakeboarding tour as other professional venues. (as seen above with Mike Isler and David Cervenka posting)

Just an inventory question. In general, do you stock several copies of the same lens? And am I reading it wrong or is the price listed including shipping?

In October, I was looking to pick up the Nikon 17-55 and a Caramel Macchiato for a three day tour and was wondering what are the chances it will be in stock.
Old     (borrowlensescom)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
AP,

We've gotten about half a dozen hits - enough to put you guys on my radar. Now onto your question. For the popular lenses, we stock several copies. For example, we have a few 17-55. You mention that you need it for October and the good news is that we take reservations and you will be guaranteed that lens if you give us enough lead time.

As far as the Caramel Macchiato, I will have to ask Starbucks on their reservation policy. I should know it by now, since I am in there 7 times a day.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-13-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
Max - very cool..! I just placed a reservation for the 85mm f1.2.
Old     (borrowlensescom)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Kung Fu, It was good chatting with you and we have you down for the 85 f/1.2 for October. Thanks for the compliments on the site - I will take those to heart, since I implemented it :-) I will meet you (yes at Starbucks) soon...
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
Hey Max,

Finally got my friends to finalize the dates for the engagement shoot. I need that Nikkor 17-55 for oct 6. I'll be sending you an email soon.

Thanks for info.

Maybe we should let Rich Dykman, Cliff and Walt know about this company. Could always use more lenses. Especially at theses prices
Old     (borrowlensescom)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2007, 12:13 AM Reply   
AP,

Sounds good. There's one that's coming back from a customer on Oct. 3rd, so that's perfect.

I don't know who Rich Dykman, Cliff or Walt are, but yeah send them our info! :-) Appreciate any word of mouth referrals.

Max
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2007, 12:54 AM Reply   
Max - Likewise! Speaking of cool ideas/features for your website. How about a reminder system for those who already have future reservation dates set and will be picking up the gear locally? So in my case I would receive a reminder email five days before and then again the day before my pickup.
Old     (borrowlensescom)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2007, 1:57 AM Reply   
Kung Fu,

Sorry for late response - tough to keep up with all the boards we are on :-)

Great idea - it's already on our HUGE "to do" list, but i'll bump it up in priority. Thanks!

Max
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-30-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
We just got done with our first rental (canon 85mm f1.2 & 580 EX speedlite) from Borrowlenses.com and we're already on our second lens rental (canon 24-70 f2.8)

I was a little skeptical at first because the prices seemed "too good to be true", but anyone that wants to rent me a $1700 lens for 3 weeks @ only $125 is a friend of mine!

btw - the Canon 85mm f1.2 from from Adolph Gasser in SF would have cost $270+ for 3 weeks, so scratch my previous recommendation... I've got a new one: www.borrowlenses.com and to top it off here's a 5% Off discount code 5DOFF that you can use!
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-30-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Sweet, I might rent a macro in a couple of weeks
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Another kudos for the place. Rented a Nikkor 17-55 last month and have nothing but great things to say for the business. Way cheaper then other places.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-13-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Max (borrowlenses) - Your website says the 85 f/1.8 won't be available until 12/22 but I was just hoping that you might have it now for rent?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-13-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
A.P. - sweet! Glad to hear from another happy customer.

kvoman - It would be faster to call them (650-534-7772) directly.. I don't think they monitor this thread that closely.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-14-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
As long as we are giving props to borrowlenses, add me to the pile. I currently have their Tokina 10-17 fish for Nikon. I ordered late on a Thursday night and was shocked to see the fedex ground guy show up that Saturday. Great service.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Kung Fu - just called and left them a message.