Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
alright I need info on this waxing thing. NO I do know how on cars etc. I was going to having aircraft sealer put on since its on my car and truck but I dont have the funds for it right now. So what wax to use, how often, etc.... Thanx!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
I use the same stuff I use on my car and do all the same things. It works great. I try to do once a month in the summer. I don't buy all the hype about special wax for boats. I could be wrong, but mine always turns out beautiful...
I have used Meguiars and TurtleWax
Old    swass            01-24-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
It's all just personal preference. I use Mother's products, myself. If you've never waxed before, or wash very often, I recommend a pre-wax cleaner before applying wax. I like Carnuba wax, but you'll get other recommendations as well.

Wash at least once a month and wax every two to three, depending on your local conditions. If you're in a coastal environment, you'll need to wax more often I suspect.

I used to wash every two weeks, wax every two to three washes, pre-wax before wax and glaze every six months or so. I tend to spend three to four hours washing and whatnot, but, my wife won't put up with that shiz anymore, especially if I'm doing my truck rather than her car.

(Message edited by swass on January 24, 2005)
Old    89_skier            01-25-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
I use the 3M restorer wax on my older boat and it does an amazing job with a high power buffer. I've tried regular car wax with one of the terry cloth buffers for $39 and the wax job didn't last one time out on the lake.
Old    swass            01-25-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
Are you asking about your vehicle, or boat? I don't use glaze on the boat. Just oxidation remover and wax.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
asking bout my boat, and would hand power be enough or use a buffer and how many coats of wax? I'm not coastal....I always wipe my boat down with 303 when she comes out of the water.... she a 2005 Sanger 215 so her gel coat is presitne condition and I want to keep it that way.....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-25-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
I also use the 3M Restorer wax that Ryan uses. Very pleased with it. I'll use wax twice a year and just use a spray wax about once a month.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
just curious why restorer? I was thinking Meguiars Gold, its what I used to use on my SS before I put the aircraft sealer on. Could I do it just like a car prep, apply, buff?
Old    swass            01-25-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
A "restorer" wax has a rubbing compound in it that removes oxidation, chalking, etc. from the surface. IMO, it's really no different than an automotive cleaner wax. The only difference is, if you put "marine" on the bottle, you can charge twice as much. Again, that's just my opinion. Everyone has a particular product that they like and swear by.

More than one "coat" of wax is somewhat self-defeating. If you use a cleaner wax, the cleaner will remove the first coat of wax and replace it with...a coat of wax. The finish will benefit from two cleanings, but you're still left with one coat of wax. If you use a "pure" wax, the solvents in the wax will re-liquify part of the first coat, so you're not really doubling the thickness of the wax coat. It may last a bit longer, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort.

Regardless of what you choose to use, you can apply just as you would on a car. Just watch out around graphics that are not gel coat. The buffer can lift an edge and then you won't get it to stick well ever again.
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-25-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Ive been told by a few serious car enthusiasts that mcguiers is the best. Weve bought mcquiers marine wax on our boat and it really is shinnier that when we picked it up.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       01-25-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Colin, we had the same experience. Used Mcquiers Premium Marine Wax and it looks better than the day we picked it up at Ski World.
Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-02-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
What is this aircraft sealer? How good is it? How much? thannks
Old     (coboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Swass,
Did you end up buying that Dewalt buffer you were talking about or do you still put it on by hand?
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
Kenny'
Send me your address and I will send you some samples of the wax and interior products I sell. I do owe some samples to another WW member and I will ship them Monday after the show. Sorry for the delay. My product is a wipe on wipe off and leaves a awsome shine and is not water solluable (spelling?).
Old    swass            02-03-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
No I haven't eb. After pimpin' out my truck stereo, my wife has threatened me with castration if I even dream of any purchase over $10.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Gary I will PM you after I get off of work...THANK YOU!!!!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Jon look at the Sacramento detailors topic for info...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Gary I didnt know you are a dealer/salesman of sort????
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
Do not use automative wax on your boat - it is extremely bad for the fiberglass. Someone who is more knowledgable can tell you why - but it has something to do with filling the "holes" in the gelcoat (I want to say the silicon in the auto wax has something to do with it). Over time, it will oxidize and you will never be able to buff it out. I always use pure carnuba for fiberglass by Magiures (sp?).
Old    swass            02-03-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Wow - that's just patently false. Keep in mind that no wax, auto, boat...whatever, is "pure" anything - all waxes have emulsifiers and other additives in them, otherwise the wax won't spread. Pure, natural wax will spread like glue. Almost all waxes have silicone in them - even the Maguires that everyone is so fond of. Silicone WILL NOT oxidize! Don't take my word for it - call Maguires and ask them. "Pure carnuba for fiberglass" is a marketing ploy. You're not waxing fiberglass - you're waxing gel coat.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-03-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I use Maguires Yellow High Tech #26.

BTW: swass is right. Meguires web site has an RV/Boat wax that contains "silcone". #26 contains silicone too.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
Kenny, Not really a salesman or dealer, I kinda fell into selling Sanger's at the show, I will see if I can continue after the show. The wax product is the same sort of thing. I helped out with some marketing and comercials and now peddel it from time to time. If I ever got serious I could probably make a few bucks. But in all seriousness I only will only represent products that I believe in and will use myself.
Old    hundo            02-03-2005, 11:02 PM Reply   
Do you guys remember a product called "Ming" It was a product that would seal the paint. After a while the paint would have crows feet (xxxxx). But the surface was very shinny and I was told the reason for the crows feet was because the paint could'nt breathe? Not every paint job but a lot of cars that were treated with this product had that problem.The Ming was in the late 70's early 80's if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about a gelcoat surface .
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Yes, I remember it, a guy in my town had a silver/grey metallic 260Z "minged" it did look great the last time I saw it, which was about 5 years ago.