Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    cryft            06-03-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
My rope is hooked up directly to the back of my boat, on each side of the motor. I can never seem to get very high, and I was wondering if this setup is the problem. I know alot of it has to do with my technique, but lately I've been hitting it really good and can literally feel the pop, but all the happens is I shoot up five or so feet in the air then land a few feet from where I started.
I can't wait until I get a descent w2w because everything but the damn jump has come to me really quickly and I think if I just got some distance I could really do something.

So, is it important to have a tower or do I just need to spend an entire day trying to get the w2w(I usually get fustrated and start doing surface tricks)?

Thanks
-Dave
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-04-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
David,
Work on your technique and progressive edge, and you should be able to get some decent air. I can do all of my inverts and spins behind my co-workers boat (i/o with the rope tied of to the transom) but it's a little more floaty and layed out behind my boat (still no tower... Just a ski bar!) Get used to it, and when you move to a weighted wakeboard boat with a tower, it'll be nuts!
Anyways, Getting air is a compromise between speed and pop. Speed takes you far, pop takes you up. Too much speed, and it is harder to get pop (ie, you legs want to compress a little instead of extend as you hit the wake). Just remember to edge all the way through the top of the wake.
B
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
No, a tower is not necessary for w2w jumps, although it will help. I ride behind a number of boats, 1 with a tower, 1 with a pylon, and several right off the back of the boat. It sounds like you ride behind an outboard boat, what kind is it? Another issue may be wake size. Most outboard boats don't tend to put off very good wakes. I/Os when weighted and trimmed properly can put out decent wakes, but inboards still put out the best. IMO, the 3 ingredients in order for good pop and distance are 1) technique (speed+position+pop) 2) wake (size+shape+firmness+height), and 3) tower or pylon.

I get my most effortless w2w jumps behind a weighted inboard with a tower, but I have landed way out in the flats behind just a loaded I/O with no tower. Keep working on your technique and when you get a chance to ride between a real wakeboard boat, you will be way ahead of the game.

Jb
Old    cryft            06-04-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just work on getting consistant pop then speed it up.
My wake size is actually pretty big. The boat I ride behind is an outboard but it's really wide, not sure on the exact measurements, and heavy. It was originally my dad's fishing boat. It's a 70 something McKee craft, the only one I've ever seen, but it's got a brand new 4-stroke 115 on the back. The size/shape of it looks alot like the inboard wakeboarding boats I've seen. It's not much but it gets the job done.
Thanks again, gotta go get on the water before it rains...
-Dave