Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
Hi everyone - I just changed my first impeller on our boat last week....everything went well. After I was done I hooked up the fake a lake and ran it on that for a few minutes to make sure that nothing was leaking. This weekend we took it to the lake and dropped it in for the first time. When I first got in the boat I double checked to make sure there were no leaks, again everything was fine.

As we were coming into the docks to trailer it up, I looked again and this time I noticed water shooting out of the impeller housing around one of the screws for the cover. I haven't had time to take it apart to look at it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas that I could use in my arsenal when I actually start looking at it.

When we were running the boat the engine temp stayed constant, so it appears that there is enough water getting to the engine to keep it cool, and there wasn't a ton of water shooting out of the impeller, but it was definitely more than a drip.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old     (hgvandy)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-27-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
Could be a couple of things. I would check your screws on the back and make sure they are tight. Also check your gasket and make sure it is lined up correctly.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
I would look for part of the old gasket also that might have been stuck to the housing or plate
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       05-27-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
Inspect the housing near the bolts. I torqued mine down too much and got hair line cracks in the metal, replaced with a one piece plastic rear housing.
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
Inspect the housing near the bolts. I torqued mine down too much and got hair line cracks in the metal, replaced with a one piece plastic rear housing.
Do you mean the mounting bolts, or the tiny screws on the cover of the water pump housing?
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       05-28-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
Probably different than mine, post pic of pump, better yet the engine serial number. Im guessing mercruiser?
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-29-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
It is an indmar - I figured it out though - one of the screws was loose. I took the cover off and the gasket and reseated everything to be sure - ran it on the fake a lake again....no leaks. Hopefully the lake test will be successful.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-29-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen with my VLX last weekend. Once the screw was tightened it ran like a champ without rinsing down the entire engine compartment!