Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I am getting closer to the end of my V210 project. I recently changed towers...pulling off my Monster Tower, doing a ton of gel coat repairs (there were two sets of tower mounting holes) and having ProFlight put on a Chubby Tower.

I am pleased with how it turned out. They installed the lower section closer to the windscreen than they had before on V210s. They also tried to follow the windscreen shape more closely.

Looks pretty good.....

Upload
Upload

...but...

(Message edited by kitewake on August 23, 2008)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
...there were some problems getting the tower bolted up. My amps and battery were in the way on the left side. So instead of calling me and telling me there was a problem, it looks like the got frustrated the threw a tantrum.

The tore out all the PVC that Sanger glasses under the top cap to protect wiring, etc. They just ripped it apart to get to where they needed to bolt up the Tower. Not cool...especially since they never said anything to me....

Upload
...here they actually busted the 1/2 PVC completely...
Upload

I was going to call them and let them explain themselves, but after spending 3 hours fixing it all, I am too ticked off...so I am just posting this.

Very disappointing episode considering I am otherwise happy with their work.

(Message edited by kitewake on August 23, 2008)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
A few more areas of damage....

Upload
Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-23-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Why did you fix it? I would have made them do it.
Thats just sloppy imo.
Tower looks great though!
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Driving it up there...driving it back...etc would have been more work than it was worth. It also would have pushed back things another week...
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
I had proflight fix my old boat tower that was kind of crooked. They put a pole spreaded on it and dented the tower in the process. when I called them on it they started to argue and told me to leave or they would call the police. I would have called the owner but I guess the owner was the one that told us to leave.
So I bad mouth proflight every chance I can
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-23-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Wow I would be PISSED!!
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       08-23-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Yeah that sucks.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-23-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Wow, I've been selling inboards for the last 15 years and have installed plenty of monster and New Dimensions tower but NEVER EVER would I even consider trashing a persons boat like I see in the pictures.

If anything even remotely close to that happened and the customer had a complaint, I would obviously fix it (while they waited) and probably offer them a small discount on their next service. There is absolutely no reason for that kind of poor quality work.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Off topic, but why did you replace the monster tower that was already on it?
Old     (pickles)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
Cause that tower looks ten times better than a monster tower.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-23-2008, 11:29 PM Reply   
Looks like guys from Pro Flight Towers are a bunch of toolbag idiots
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
ProFlight towers blow.

And now we know their work blows too.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-24-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Hopefully ProFlight Didn't spider crack the top Gelcoat.
Old    sdahockey21            08-24-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Before you get all wired let me say this. On Every tower that I have installed (3), I have always had to remove sections of PVC that were in the way. Usually this is the most time consuming part. So all in all your tower install probably wouldn't have been possible without getting that stuff out of the way. The only thing that that stuff does is it keeps the wires neat and tied up.

Having said that they still should have informed you about the road blocks they ran into, and what they had to to to get around them. So there still at fault in that sense

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on August 24, 2008)

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on August 24, 2008)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
"Having said that they still should have informed you about the road blocks they ran into, and what they had to to to get around them. So there still at fault in that sense "

Exactly. I am not slamming them too hard. The tower looks geat, I like how they mounted the lower section...just like they said they would. All the mounts have rubber pads and great backing plates.

They HAD to pull all that PVC loose. What I am unhappy about is how they did it. They busted up some stuff they did not have to. They basically grabbed the PVC and threw a tantrum...ripping the hell out of things. Some of the PVC was busted loose 3' from the tower mounts, and where the PVC was completely broken, the wire up to the front running light was pulled tight. That does not happen if you are being at all careful.

I really wished they had just called me AND taken a little more care.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I can understand them having to move the PVC to bolt the tower down and not calling you but they do make 90 degree fittings for PVC. That's just a lack of pride in the installers work or the attitude that I really don't care it's not my boat and he won't look under here anyways workmanship.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
well installing a 90deg. piece is not as easy as it sounds you would have to undo all the wiring so i dont really see that as an option unless your willing to pay more. im not saying what they did is right in any way but acting like adding a 90 is a quick and easy fix is not right either. im glad you got it worked out.
Old    mendo247            08-24-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Tower looks sick! Your gonna love it. I love the install minus the PVC work. IMO you should have called before posting a negative thread, nobody is perfect and everyone deserves a second chance. Chances are an inexperienced installer might have screwed your PVC up, who knows. If they had some new guy under there they might not even know of the work quality and would probablly like to be informed. Proflight has always been a stand up company when I have delt with them.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-24-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   

quote:

By Richard Coop (mendo247) on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:19 pm:

...IMO you should have called before posting a negative thread, nobody is perfect and everyone deserves a second chance....

Why? They did this work this way and delivered it. If they cared about generating repeat business, stuff like this would not have happened.
Old    mendo247            08-24-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   

quote:

Why? They did this work this way and delivered it. If they cared about generating repeat business, stuff like this would not have happened.

You never make mistakes?

It happens!

Give them a chance to make it right!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-24-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
They knew they did it, they had a chance all ready.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-25-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
How much would you be willing to pay for them to do it "right"?
I don't like how they handled it and by the looks of it, the rookie would be the one crawling a round in the boat.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-25-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
Are you kidding me, there is no way in hel! that pro flight was not aware of the damage they did to that boat. Even worse, no one at Pro Flight had the nuts to step up and say they made a mistake but instead played "wait till the customer finds the damage."

I really think some of you have lost your mind with some of these ridiculous posts!!!!!

I'd personally rail Pro Flight on this thread so that no one else here has to ever have their boat ripped apart like in the above pics.

But that is just my opinion.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-25-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
I had a two year old boat with a pro-flight tower on it. The tower cracked at one of the welds. IMO the Aluminum was probably overheated or not prepped correctly. When I called them about it they informed me that the tower was out of warranty and that I would have to pay for the repair. It was going to take a long time to take the tower off and it was going to end up being pretty costly to get it re powdercoated. I ended up trading the boat in. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

Needless to say I wasn't impressed. Even if they had offered to split the repair I would have been OK. Since then, I wont own a boat with a proflight.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
"You never make mistakes? It happens! Give them a chance to make it right!" - Richard Coop

BS. A 'mistake' is when you slip and scratch the gel coat with a tool. A 'mistake' is when you mismeasure/miscut something. A 'mistake' is when you tear a wire out by mistake. Breaking PVC by brute force instead of scoring it so it breaks clean is not a 'mistake'. Ripping it out so hard that you bust an entire section loose (2 breaks between two support points) is not a 'mistake'. Ripping it out so hard that you bust mounts 3' away is not a 'mistake'...it is poor workmanship and a lack of patience. Not putting new supports back in is not a 'mistake', it is a decision you make.

I was going to contact Proflight...but what was the point? It takes 1.5 hours to drive the boat up there...and 1.5 hours to drive it back. It took me about 3 hours to fix it....so either way I was out 3 hours. This way it is done the way I want it done.

I have no regrets about posting this. I like the Tower. I like most of the work they did. I posted pictures so you could all judge for yourselves what was done.

Just the facts. Let them speak for themselves.
Old    mendo247            08-27-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
A "mistake": Your in a hurry and are having a bad day and do something you know you shouldnt!

A "mistake": Some installer grabs a clean up kid and tells him to climb in the bow and put this over the bolts and hang onto them while I tighten it up.

etc etc

There are many types of "mistakes". Im not saying what they did was ok but managing a shop i know things like this happen. If a customer called me and said "hey you guys messed up my car" Id send someone an hour and a half to pick it up no problem (have gone further than that).

How do you know they wouldnt have sent someone to pick your boat up and get it fixed? Maybe threw in a board rack for your troubles?

Well i guess youll never know.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
I have already said it once; the wakeboarding industry is to small (therefore expensive) for this kind of customer service. I think it is absolutely necessary for people to post problems like this on our forums. It is one of the main reason of this forum incase you missed the big ass link you clicked on that says "Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicals". It also gives people/consumers a heads up on a product and keeps them from possibly wasting hard earned money. There is no reason for a boat to be butchered like this and the owner not notified. Even though the tower looks great the work underneath makes this a poor job IMO.

To the owner of the boat it looks like you have learned the hard way about dealing with ProFlight. Here is another heads up for you, don't deal with FusionWake either. Perhaps you could remove the broken sections of PVC and cover the exposed wires with wireloom. No as "neat" looking but it would allow the wire to flex around the mounts when you tie them up out of the way.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I agree with Coop, if a manager at the shop doesn't know that one of his workers has been sloppy how can he make it right for you and stop it happening in anybody else's boat?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
The MANAGER should check ALL boats that come into the shop and ALL boats that leave the shop. SIMPLE AS THAT>
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-27-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
I'm kind of surprised that someone from Proflight hasn't picked up on this. Doesn't everyone else get on this site daily also?

As someone who managed a marine service dept for 8 years I've seen everything from screws thru the side of hulls to improper trailer setup putting boats on the pavement.(All other shops obviously).Things like that seem to happen on units when the customers are pushy. Not pointing fingers but take note boys.

As far as a manager having to check all the jobs to me wouldn't be a very good manager.That's what your employee's are for if not get better people.

I do agree that you should give them a chance to make it right,I always used situations like that to show why we are a cut above the rest. You usually can get a customer for life. I expect no less from our current manager. I would send them the pics and tell them this isn't exactly what you had in mind and how can we fix this.

If they don't know then maybe that guy f's up the next wakeworld brotha's boat, how would you feel then? At the very least call and rant even if you dont take it back there, not sure I would, the fix won't be as hard as you think. But I'd sure as hell lobby for a rack.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
the tower looks great, I have a proflight and like it. problem lies with the installer. I know how you feel about just fixin it yourself. I am the same way. BUT I WOULD LET THEM HAVE AN EARFULL!! Thats for sure. A new light bar might make me a little more forgiving.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2008, 11:16 PM Reply   
Way too sloppy to even deliver it to you like that. That ain't no minor mistake, that's just plain hacked. Myself, I would of crawled around it before I left the facility, and had them keep it until it was right...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2008, 12:04 AM Reply   
Anyone ever wonder why Malibu & Centurion ditched the ProFlight?
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
NOT COOL
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-28-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
wow. I've always thought their towers looked pretty good. good to know to avoid them in future.

I agree, however, that they need the opportunity to fix it. unfortunately, we all know how far that will go.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2008, 2:08 AM Reply   
Proflight sold me a product they lied about having, lied about when it would be shipped to me, they ignored my email and phone calls after waiting over 3 weeks and they lost my business!