Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    feere2084            02-22-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
I'am thinking about getting a wakeboard boat but they don't look like can handle the rough water. Do they have a "V" bottom haul. I go in lake ontario so i need one that handles the choppy water well thanks
Old    banks            02-22-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Tige' has a V hull. I have a 21i and it handles rough water pretty well. A buddy of mine has a 20ft mastercraft and he can only go like 10 to 15 in the water when its really bad where as i can go 20-22. And, on my lake it can get almost like the ocean. Lake Murray is a big lake and by the damn it gets really bad when its windy. I had a 21ft off-shore fishing boat, my Tige' doesn't handle as well as it did, of course, but its about as close as you can get, IMO, with an inboard boat. And, it handles rough water better than my other buddies Super Air Nautique

(Message edited by banks on February 22, 2004)
Old    bross            02-22-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
The bigger the boat the better it will handle rough water. If you are strictly going to be wakeboarding then get a wakeboard boat. If not then get a runabout and add a tower and perfect pass. Good wakeboard boats include the 24' Mastercraft, the larger & new SAN, and the Session 22si. Wakeboard boats that suck in choppy water are Moomba, Supra, Malibu, and Centurion. Tiga are OK like b banks said. But 22 mph in rough water sucks. I boat at Lake Powell all summer and I couldn't handle 22 mph all day. Check out www.sessionboats.com, www.regalboats.com, www.mastercraft.com, and www.correctcraft.com. Peace.
Old    banks            02-22-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
I would as any of my friends would say that if a boat being only 21 ft can go 22 in weather conditions that call for Small Craft Adivisories, its a good rough water riding boat. and yes 21ft boats are included in those advisories around here.
Old    banks            02-22-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
as always someone who doesn't have a Tige' tries to act like they know everything about a boat they don't own. get real. By the way if you are going for a big wake or the wake you like, the best thing you can do is test it out for yourself, not rely on someones opinion.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            02-22-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Look in to one of those twin engine X-80s mastercraft says they are gonna make, i bet it would handle the rough water pretty good
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Brian,

Supra and Moomba have some of the Deepest V shaped hull in the inboard industry. They have EXCELLENT ride in choppy water combined with the Cathedral style hull.
Old    simba            02-22-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Brian is clueless to which boats ride well in choppy water. Tige and Moomba/supra are much better than any other wakeboard boat out there due to gunnel well height and weight and shape.
Old    ag4ever            02-22-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
I have a SAN, and it will handle rough water given a couple of limitations.

1. Weight. You want as much weight in the boat to help you crash through the waves, and not allow you to be pushed around by them. This is where nautiques are good. They typically weigh a little bit more than similar sized wakeboard boats due to the thicker fiberglass. Regardless of the brand though, you want to fill the tanks.

2. Speed. Keep the speed down to where you are ABOUT get onto plane. This will give you the most maneuverability while keeping the bow high enough to stay out of the waves. If you are at full planing speed you will just jumping from wave to wave, and not many "ski" boats will be comfortable in those conditions.

3. Approach. How you drive in chop can make the ride either brutal or less rough. Going into the wind is the worst, and going with the wind is the best. If you must go against the wind, a zig-zag pattern at a slightly higer speed can be smoother and quicker than a direct shot at a speed necessary to make it tolerable.

All that said, I have been in chop that was about 4-5' from top of crest to bottom of trough, and spaced about an equal 5' between troughs. I was able to do about 15 mph in relative comfort, and there was plenty of spray due to the wind and crashing into the waves, but I never took any water on the boat.

The biggest factors in how smooth a ride will be are: weight of boat, length of boat, and how much of a entry v and transom v a boat has.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2004, 4:30 AM Reply   
lake ontario??????? I have been there, I would find a different place to ride, or get a different type of boat.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
No wakeboard boat will handle well in lake ontario. If anyone else says differntly then they obviously haven't had a wakeboard boat in 2-4ft swells. If a boat is big enough to handle lake ontario then it is not a wakeboard specific boat regarless of the manufacturer.

Just because Mastercraft or Tige makes a large boat doesn't automatically qualify the boat to be a wakeboard boat.

Good luck finding a boat to match your needs but no wakeboard specific boat is a good match for any of the great lakes, unless you only go out when conditions are really calm.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
yeah, Brian is off. Size and hull shape have a lot to do with it. The bigger boats help. We ride in a Wakesetter LSV (23'). It handles the chop better than most 19-21 footers. You can't just exclude all of one particular make though.