Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-21-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
So how hard is it? How long to figure out how to fly kite?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-21-2005, 11:40 PM Reply   
Well I had a big brother so I started when I was about three years old. Hmmm let the line out and then hold while kite flys above ones head...pretty easy.

Now if you are talking about kite boarding take a lesson for others and your safety. It is a dangerous sport and getting banned because of accidents involving others. Start with a smaller trainer kite and practice until you can fly it low to the ground, loop it in all directions, and know where the kite is and what direction it is going with your eyes closed. The equipment also costs thousands of dollars.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Boats cost 10's of thousands.
Old     (king360720)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-25-2005, 3:44 AM Reply   
it's not hard to fly a kite, but it takes some practice to do it right. a four line kite and two line kite fly differently, depending on the type of kite. more control with four line and much more responsive. it's a riot!
Old    leggester            02-25-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
What country are you from?

What kind of "kite"?
Old    parksboarder            02-25-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'm from Michigan, I fly a 14, Cabrinha Blacktip, but I wakeboard most of the time, the two go hand in hand because you need alot of wind to fly the kite, and your an idiot to go wakeboarding with that kinda chop! I'd still rather wakeboard but Kiting is fun for other reasons, Definatly take a lesson in your area, by doing it you'll get hooked up with all the hot kiting spots in your area, and the local kiters! if you can wakeboard, your already 65% of the way there
Old     (king360720)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-26-2005, 3:31 AM Reply   
i'm from NY. I fly a 10 cabrinha and a 14 ocean rodeo. there are plenty of websites with discounted gear, but make sure you know what you are buying. lessons are a must to get started and make sure the instructor is certified. the better wakeboarder you are, the better off you're going to be. flying the kite is easy, but making sure you have the right gear is the key.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-26-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
I'm in SoCal......I hear there is spot in Long Beach to ride. I have my own boat but my bro's that live in Hawaii say kite boarding is totally blowing up over there. It just looks fun, something I want to try. I was just trying to get some feedback on how difficult the kite part is. Anyone out there have a kite I'll trade you pulls...........
Old     (jimmyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2005, 5:34 AM Reply   
Watch those gusts...

http://www.wissant.com/php/articles.php?id=67

Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
Cape Hatteras is one of the top East coast spots.Its full of kiters all spring ,summer and Fall.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-04-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
Kiteboarding is definitely the next level. Lots of wakeboarders have gotten bored with the restrictiveness of wakeboarding and picked up kiteboarding. No need to own an expensive wakeboat, or find someone who does. No need for hundreds of dollars in fuel for a weekend of riding. No need to find a third or even a second. No need for smooth water, or deep water. You control the speed and direction you go. You decide what kind of pull you like and what style to ride. You can ride in smooth water, or even in the big waves! You can go ride in the most beautiful of places without having to be concerned about water depth or getting a boat there or finding a pull there. Everything you need to ride fits in a big duffle, boardbag, or golfbag. Your entire rig can get on a plane with you. You can jump higher and land softer than anyone behind a boat can.

Kiteboarding allows freedom. Freedom to ride your wakeboard without the need of anyone else. Freedom to do whatever you feel like doing that day. If you want to be alone and practice shove-its in 3 ft of water than do it. if you just want to be alone and carve some waves, do it. If you want to do Slim Chances 30ft off the water in front of the crowd, do it.

What happens to your boat in the winter. It is put up doing nothing while you still make the payments. You kite goes out to the snow. You dont need a lift as you can ride uphill, and you really dont need a hill! You can ride in an open field or on a frozen lake. Ride the powder others cant!

I love to wakeboard. Kiteboarding was something I picked up for when it was to windy to wakeboard. However I sold my boat, and wakeboarding is something I do when there is no wind to kite.

I have a Slingshot Fuel 19m, 13m, 11m, 9m, Naish X2 16m, and ARX 7.5m, BEST Yarga 16.5m and taking delivery of a new BEST BFK 21m today.

Here is a pic of where I rode last week. Isla Holbox, Mexico.

paradise

And here is my wide enjoying a strong wind:

Linda riding
Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-04-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
i cant believe anyone hasnt said anything about trainer kites. $60. and you wont trash an expensive nash 15m kite
Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-04-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
key things you need to know about b4 going out. power window and the neutral spot up top. harnesses
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-09-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
Anyone else on here kiteboard?
Old    lf_kiteboarding            03-09-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
Liquid Force has been in the kiteboarding scene since the beginning in 1999.

There are thousands of wakeboarders who have progressed to kiteboarding for the freedom of wakeboarding with a wing.

It is easier than you think....and if you live anywhere near water and wind you can ride every day.

Here is a link to our new 2005 catalog.

http://sales.liquidforce.com/downloads.html

There are Liquid Force kiteboarding dealers all over. So find one, take a lesson and get on it.

The wakestyle kiteboarding movement is on.

You can fly any brand you wish....but if you are a wakeboarder then the choice is obvious.

We don't windsurf.
We are not windsurfers.

We at Liquid Force are wakeboarders and surfers.

We hope to see more of you wakeboarders getting out there.

If you have any questions write to
scottn@liquidforce.com