Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    slow_driver            09-01-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Budget is $35K max. Would like to be lower, but could see going to $35K if I saw something that got me excited.

Currently running an '89 prostar, but I am at the point where I want/need more interior space. Comfort and convinence is more important than running the slalom course.

Curent useage is more family oriented. Wakeboard, wake surf, skiing, etc. Useage is a handful of times a year on trips and vacations. I need to take more people on each run.

I don't need or want some pimped out luxo boat. I want performance, reliability and convience.

At $35K set up how I want, it seems a new Mobius LS is the logical starting point.

From there I consider the new market where I would likley have to go up to at least $45K and comprimise on size/features a bit with an increased budget. Maybe some more piece of mind for longevity and performance? I would do it if I came across some killer deal and was convinced the extra cost brought some extra value/performance/features to the boat.

Then considering the used market, it seems that 1999-2002ish model years of MC and CC fit the budget. Careful shoping might provide a fairly sweet boat in the budget, with the advantage of added luxury features that do not hold much resale value. (stereo opgrades, ballast, racks, covers, etc.)

And then there is always a late model (2003-2005) used Moomba that would be nice on the budget. ($25K-$30K) Savings might be worth the cost of new.

Or..seeing that our curent boat is 16 year old. Maybe even go with a late '90's MC or CC. It would be easier on the budget and still should be a considerable upgrade from the current '89, but probably won't bring any bling factor.

Car analogy:
'89 prostar = '89 BMW 325. cool and all, but a new average model(toyota) is likley more convient, comfortable, reliable and probably even out peformes the older BMW.

New Moomba: Like a new toyota. Reliable, value, convienant. And when set up properly can knock on the door of the higher end models.

New MC/CC: Like a new BMW or MB. You should expect the best, and will pay for it.

So..What would do you suggest we start looking at?
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Most important if you go new is research dealer. If you get a dealer that's not reputable and or doesn't see to your needs a used boat may work out better. A new boat warranty is only as good as the backer. If you go used you've mentioned reputable names that you really can't go wrong with. Just make sure to REALLy check out used boat well, see how it's been maintained, etc...
Most newer engines have ecm to check true hours on engines. On the used boat the drop in value has more than likely been absorbed and value will be less likely to drop so fast. Good Luck.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Sanger. Buddy has a new 210 and its a awesome boat. rides great, good wake and right in your price range. Have another friend with a new 215 and its the same story.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
go used,CC, MC, or Bu. In that price range you can get an 03 or 04 that still has a few years left on the warranty
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
JC,

I was in the same predicament as you. $35K was my max. I wanted something used with automatic ballast,and a lot more room than our Ski Brendella. We just bought a 2004 Supra Launch in that price range. It has everything we need and was one of the nicest used boats in that price range.

I started out looking at 2001-2002 Supra Launch models and jumped up to the 04. Check out Boattrader.com and just see what is out there and for how much. I think you might find there are not too many of the Mastercraft, Malibus, and CC's in the mid 30's or lower price range.

We decided we'd rather have a little older Supra than a little newer Moomba.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-01-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
you can also pick up a 03, 04 used supra SSV in that range....w/ most of the good options, and still under the warranty.