Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    deltahoosier            06-26-2002, 2:58 PM Reply   
I need a little insight. I was out yesterday and I am finally got some pictures or me and I am leaning back horribly. I thought I was getting better transition to my front foot than I am. I have a problem of getting off balance leaning toward the tail and toward my tow edge someitmes and my arms get pulled away from me too much. I noticed that I am looking at the wake the whole time. On the approach and in the air. I tried to take a quick look at the wake on the approach and then kept looking at the shore on about three jumps and it felt like I just blasted off. Only thing is, it was a little un-nerving not seeing the water when I landed. Any good advice on head position and where to keep the eyes? I really want to get the board leveled out and get the straight up pop so I can start landing my spins. I think when I look down my line unloads on me and I never quite get the board to come horizontal after lift off. I notice when I jump on the trampoline I never look down and I can spin all day. Thanks for any insight.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-26-2002, 5:42 PM Reply   
There's a saying that "where you look is where you'll go". There's nothing wrong with looking down to spot your landing, but you don't want your head down. So keep your head up during the jump but spot your landing and you should be fine. And you're right, it's even more important when you start to spin. You can really throw yourself off if you're keeping your head down.
Old    deltahoosier            06-26-2002, 6:24 PM Reply   
are you looking at the wake all the way before you hit it or do you just grab a quick peak then look out to the shore? A couple of times I took a quick peak at the wake early in my cut, then looked to the shore and I felt like I blasted off but it was weird. I want to try this again, but, I do not want to get in bad habits.
Old    chad_martin            06-27-2002, 10:49 AM Reply   
It's funny this is brought up. I was flipping through the current Wakeboarding Magazine. There is an article on off-axis spinning. All through it there is instruction to look at the shore here, look at the boat here, etc, etc... But when you look at the pictures, they are all clearly spotting their landing, and nothing else. Always looking at the surface of the water. This is what I do, but now I'm not so sure it's wrong.
Old    deltahoosier            06-27-2002, 11:12 AM Reply   
Well, I have read about and rode with guys who talk about picking up different reference points to land their tricks. I think I remember one guy talked about looking at the boat really cleaned up his back roll. I would wonder how to pick up the boat in a roll. I finally bought a trampoline and a skate board deck and started jumping and I notice my head stays up. I notice when I wakeboard my head goes down. I also notice when I board that when my head goes down, my arms come out and I think that, since I look at the wake coming into it, I tend to loose my edge just enough that I do not carry momentum through the wake and I never level out. Then when I try my HS Front 180, I never get my weight over my TS edge for the landing. The time I looked beyond the wake and did not even see it....I felt I had tons of glid time (I do not know if I levels out for sure or not). Does any of this sound familiar with anyone?
Old    gordon523            07-04-2002, 7:00 PM Reply   
you should be fine looken at the wake comeing into it infact that is what helps you on a tantrum to blind. but when you get in the air look up or at your board if you going for a grab but look up right after you got it. then your ok to look back down to spot your landing. peace.