Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
So you load you surf boat with tons of weight, drop your wedge, or set your Switch Blade for a huge surf wake. Do think wakeboarding or wakesurfing burns more gas? Less gas surfing I think, how about you? Gas is going to be expensive this summer, I just might spend a lot more time surfing.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure surfing burns more gas. The boat is dragging much more in the water, and my gas guage drops pretty quickly. More so if I drop the wedge.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-01-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
yeah...i think surfing will burn more gas because when your wakeboarding the boat is on plane and not dragging so wakeboarding burns less gas..
Old    surfdad            05-01-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
I really don't know which one burns more gas, I think that my RPM's are lower when we wakesurf and I can remember something from College Physics 1A that what causes the most gas consumption is the starting from a stand still, BUT I can tell you that when we wakesurf, we ride for much longer periods of time. So, in the past a good day boarding might be 3-4 hours and with surfing, we go 7-8 hours stopping only to eat or jump in for a swim. So armed with that, we'll use more gas wakesurfing.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-11-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Surfin' sucks gas.....ohhhhh boy-does it SUCK gas......I just put it on a credit card, so I only have to cry once a month

Buzz!!--Is it time for a road trip yet?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-11-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
I still think I run less gas surfing than wakeboarding.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-12-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
I think surfing would burn more because the boat is not on plane. When you wakeboard the boat has planed so it burns less gas.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-13-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
interesting... I would imagine it actually burn less gas since the rpms are considerably lower. It'd also be interesting to do the physics behind whether it takes more fuel to move 4K worth of weight on plane through the water at 22 mph vs 4k plowing at 9mph
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-28-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
IMHO we burn less fuel when wakesurfing.
While wakesurfing, the boat is in a displacement mode. When wakeboarding, the boat is in a planing mode. Generally speaking, a displacement hull requires less fuel.
Dr. Science