Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-15-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   

Stay safe out there guys. Broke my ankle on an over rotated back 3 and landed super tail heavy on my back foot.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       09-15-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
I feel ya. I broke my ankle on july 22, Im still recovering, threw away the summer (and in Canada theres not much summer to begin with!) and obviously wont be riding until next year, and hope it doesnt cause me problems. Make sure you do physio if they recommend it, do rehab, and get out there as soon as you can!
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-15-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
June 19, still recovering. Can ride now but it's not the same. Next year I guess...
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-15-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Dang, hope you guys heal quick and good.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear. Hope all heals well..Bet you will be back next season better than ever!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-15-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Dang, I broke part of my ankle too. It was about a month ago. For me it was the very end of the tibia coming up short on a tantrum and digging the toe edge hard. It's been a weird injury, as it only hurts in very specific positions and all my ligaments etc were still in place. Anyway, get better soon. Best of luck.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-15-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
I'm sorry. I had this happen to me in a freak accident, cracked my medial malleolus. It sucks. Happened 3 years back, once you heal up you'll appreciate it more though! Heres to a speedy recovery!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-15-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
@simplej - how did your recovery go? Mine was a medial malleolus tip avulsion. I went to a sports medicine ortho and they said to wear a boot for 2 weeks and then treat it like a sprain, with light physical therapy going forward till it heals. Right now I can walk well, can cycle and move easily. Things I can't do without pain include running or springing off the bad ankle.

Mine was between a Type A and B, when looking at this:

http://www.foothyperbook.com/trauma/...MgtMedMal1.htm
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
I hate all this talk about injuries. It's like a voice in the back of my head when im edging in to a jump
Old     (Mattatto)      Join Date: May 2012       09-15-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
I feel for you guys. I've had a similar experience on an over rotated 3. My foot went throught the toe opening of my binding. This was back around 99-2000 so the bindings were different from what we have now. No insurance at the time so didn't go to the Dr. for weeks until I called in a few favors. tendons were stretched and torn. Take your time healing and don't get back out until you are physically ready. Duct tape can't fix everything. Ended my riding so I went and got a job.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-15-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am working hard at not complaining but I am grateful for the great summer we had up here in western canada
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Hey dwight, al here it was great riding with you yesterday, sorry to here about your ankle. heal up. we will have to get out next spring.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
I had a freak accident really, the rope wrapped around the board dragging me under water, one binding let go the other one didn't and the outward leverage on my ankle gave me a type b fracture, with severe ligament damage. It took me 4 weeks in a cast , 2 in a boot, and another 2 weeks in an air splint because of te ligament damage. I struggled to tour colleges in November because of walking for too long, after my labor day injury. My ankle would lock and get stiff, I couldn't really run until I think End of November? It doesn't bother me now but it took 2 seasons of pretty much only surfing to get back Into wakeboarding again, at least to a point where I could progress.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Al. I am pumped to see all the good attitudes in regards to the road to recovery!