Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-26-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
okay. i watch wake videos all the time. and when im saying the majority of riders getting up from a deep water start. the board is underneath them. how do they keep it down there??
no matter what i do i cant get the board to stay down unless the boat is in idle. and i struggle big time trying to get up like that. i find it way easier to let the board float and get up like that. anyone know why they get up like that??

and on youtube suggested videos for me. this video was there this morning. its nothing amazing. but i thought it was worth my time. check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgD0aO9p2k
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
its like 1000 times less force on your arms.

you either push the surface area of the board in water or the water your legs and lower body take up... which also cuts through the water much easier than blunt side of a wakeboard.... plus when I see people start laying back I assume they're a noob.

put your bindings on and start on your board on land, then when you are standing straight up not tipping over on land, just do that in the water.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-26-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
once you get the board under you, the board will naturally want to float up to the surface. relax and just bend your knees. the more you fight it, the more the board will float up.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-26-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
nick,
to be honest. when i do it under water. it puts WAY more force on my arms. it jerks my arms and my arms end up sore during that set. i pop right out of the water with the board parallel. im up and cutting before i hit the prop wash. when i do it underneath of me it takes me twice as long to get up. i guess im just doing something wrong. ill try it again in 2 weeks when i go

thanks nick
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-26-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Yah its so much easier to start with the board underwater plus it seems less cold went out on sat. water and air were around 62 thats cold for me
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-26-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
alright matt. like i said. ill give it another try. and thanks joe. im alwasy fighting it. that might be my problem

so i dont have to open another thred.
anyone have tips on riding switch?
i can land switch then surface or ollie 180 it back. but i cant jump riding switch i always seem to fall. any tips?}}}
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-26-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
do exactly what you did when you first started jumping in your normal stance. ride around switch. once you've mastered that, cut back and forth switch. once you've mastered that, jump 1-wake switch. once you've mastered that, jump w2w switch. all it takes is practice.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Once it is done right you'll know...its far easier.

joe is right too, when you're trying to balance in the water it is much easier to bring your knees up towards your chest.

When I worked at a camp we had a few reeeeeeeeeeal big guys come in and after like 6/7 tries to get up just PLOWING water and eventually popping the handle I just had to kick the board under them and they got up no problem

when you do it like that getting up using 1 hand, holding on with like 2 fingers is no problem
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-26-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Yah like joe said just start from basics and work your way up switch toeside took forever and I'm still not very comfortable that way
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-26-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
focus on sucking up your knees as high as you can once you have the deck under water.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-26-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
i think the best way to learn to keep the board under you is to take your vest off and try and stay afloat in the water with your board on...just do it right by your teak so you have something to grab onto when you're tired.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I feel like a tool when my board is floating. Even after taking a hard fall I'm quick to get the board back underneath me.

Just stand on the board under the water and lean back against the rope as the boat starts. Keep your toes up so the water is pushing against the bottom of the board rather than on the top of the board... and just stand up. Once you master it, it's like 100 times easier on your body than having the board floating in front of you.

For riding switch, I used to go out on the most windy days when there was tons of chop on the water and just ride long distances switch. Slash around a little and get used to it. Honestly now, I try to ride switch for my entire set and ollie to regular right before my cut... it makes it like second nature.

There is no substitute for TOW!!!!
Old     (gbgonzal138)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-26-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Just make sure your knees are almost against your chest giving you more control of the board. Once the boat starts going you need to keep your toes pointed up to make sure the water forces the board up instead of sinking.
Old     (georgeliddy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-26-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck wrote:
> plus when I see people start laying back I assume they're a noob

Nick, you're kind of an ass, aren't you? You're definitely a noob at not being a jerk. So nice to know there are vastly superior people like you around to keep us all in our place.

Luker wrote:
> I feel like a tool when my board is floating.

You have some serious issues. Give yourself about 15 years and you might grow up a bit mentally.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-26-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
^^^ Talk about a useless post as well as being a jerk and having issues...Oh well.

Starting with the board under is kind of like balancing on a pool noodle, I agree the more you struggle the harder it is. My biggest things is once it is floating getting it back underneath.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
I'm just saying 9 out of 10 weekend warriors are deadman floating their hydroslide board, gloves wrapped tightly about the 12" trick ski handle fastened tightly to one side or the other of the 19' fish and ski... the driver is wearing his fullsuit in-case he gets splashed. The spotter, his wife, is nose deep in this month's cosmo paying zero attention to anything going on behind the boat leaving her husband, the driver, to watch the rider (clearly turning around because there is no mirror) and in front of him, looking back causes the boat to turn sharply at other oncoming boats...

The rider once getting up after plowing water for 10 seconds and grunting like a madman to show his girlfriend how great he is now practices side-slides and surface 360's up and down the lake. If he happens to go down because he encounters a roller you better bet that boat will be power-turning like crazy to come and pick him back up. Now he is tired, but not too tired to hop on his wakesurfer only a few feet from the outboard motor, gloves still on of course, while his girlfriend takes pictures for myspace as he chugs a beer while surfing.

Being a dick wasn't what I intended, I'm just saying you can tell how long someone has been riding/how well they ride before they even leave the water... and given my past experience with these sorts of warriors I try to avoid them, for the sake of my life and boat...I know everyone has to start somewhere, I was there once too.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
george - 23 posts huh? Welcome to WW! Glad to see you've spent some time getting to know our online community and posting some useful, insightful comments before you take shots at people who post here daily. Thanks again for your input and support of WW!!!!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-26-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Pretty obvious george is a floater ;)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-26-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
All that aside, I gotta say the kid posted up a dope old school video. One of the guys is ripping it up on a '03 Blindside Assassin, that board was a trip. Thanks for walking me down memory lane.

Start like Gerry Nunn.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-26-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
When I get out in a standing way, I'm basically standing in the water, I give a lil backward lean and lift the toe edge of my board and it seems to take care of itself. Most of mine that I come out are more crouched than standing. If we don't get out of the water, we owe a case of beer... I err on the safe side
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       11-26-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
hey, i learned to start with the board under me this past summer. it took a lot of practice but once you get it, it's pretty easy. you seem to pop up quicker as soon as the boat starts to pull...