Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Currently I have an 05' Cadillac Escalade for a tow vehicle. It has the 6.0L motor and tows great around town and even on the highway, unless there is hills. I have noticed on the steep hills around austin and SA that the truck has a little trouble getting the SAN up. It will down shift to third or even second and run really high RPMs. The other down side to it, is that it does not have 4wd. I am looking at a 06' Ford F-250 Superduty Lariet FX4 w/ the 6.0L Powerstoke turbo diesel. I have test driven the truck but have not had a chance to tow with it. I know that it will be a lot better, but my question is how much better. Will it slow down on hills like my slade? I want a vehicle that will tow at highway speeds (80 in texas on major highways) uphill and not be bogged down. Will I see a big improvement or not really?
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
get a deisel you wont be sorry.

ur bank account will thank you, and u will be passing every body andtheir mother on the way to the lake.
Old     (doubleup10)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-19-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
I have to partly agree with Andy. Go diesel. I can't say that it will maintain 80 on every hill, but there honestly isn't any rig better suited for that type of job than a heavy duty diesel pickup.

One suggestion I might offer is to consider the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. I believe the current Duramax is more powerful than the Ford or the Dodge diesels. In addition, the Chevrolet is way more comfortable of a ride than the other two. I have an '04 Duramax, and my friends with Dodges and Fords lament how much nicer mine rides. Coming from the Escalade, a Duramax won't feel that much rougher, while a Ford or Dodge will feel much "truckier". Just my .02.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
I have an F250 SD with the 6.0 powerstroke....couldn't be happier. Tows well anywhere and everywhere, no more worries on slippery or steep launch ramps. Everything will slow a bit on the highway hills...I'm sure you'll find that it is a much better tow truck than the Caddy. Mine has a 4" lift and honestly the ride is pretty darn good.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-20-2006, 1:18 AM Reply   
Get a powerstroke with a banks sixgun tuner, and youll be doing 90 uphill if you really wanted to.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-20-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Any diesel produced today is going to be more powerful than a 6.0l gasser. The engine is designed to rev and that is how it gets its horsepower. Even my 8.1L revs high, but I have not come across a hill yet it would not accelerate up while towing.

The Ford engine is still having a lot of problems, but that is what warranties are for. Buy the truck you like. I too would recommend driving the Chevy as the transmission they use is excellent. The Duramax is built by the largest truck manufacturer in the world...Isuzu.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-20-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Are you sure your Caddy has the 6.0, you might have the 5.3. Because the 6.0 is All Wheel Drive when you need it, same as hitting the 4 wheel drive button.

Also you should have no pulling problems with the 6.0, it puts down 345 hp and 380 lbs of torque. That has more than enough to pull a SAN. I pull my 205v and it never downshifts, hunts for gears, runs at a low rpm, and gets 15 mpg towing.
Old    supra_herman            08-20-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
you will be happy with the ford. I had an excursion with a diesel (pretty much the same as an f 250) and i pulled a 11000 lbs baja from ohio to Fl and back 4 times. It did great. And go to car and drvier(or maybe its road and track, one of those) every year they do a ford v chev v dodge 250/2500 disel truck test with a load and trailer. See who won the last 3 out of 4 years. (this years was a joke becuase they added a load to the bed to make the trucks even out according to thier ratings) imo. Good luck with what ever you do.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-20-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I love diesels for towing, and you will notice a big difference. That said, IMO diesels are overkill for towing a 21' boat in TX, and you'll sacrifice a LOT of ride quality to your Escalade. I'm not a big fan of the Super Duty interiors either, especially compared to a Caddy.

The newer LS1 based engines in GM trucks are a little light on low end torque, and designed to rev high. Not really a great idea for a truck engine, but it's not hurting anything for them to wind out to 6000 rpms.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
finally. you will not be sorry, I tow about 70 days a year, would not have it any other way.
Old     (ironmaiden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Definetly a good trade! I traded a tahoe for aan F150 and immediately traded the F150 for a F250. As long as I own a boat I will own a diesel truck . I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-20-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
definitely go w/ the diesel --however, why a 250 and not a 350? the only difference is heavier suspension and larger brakes --a very wise decision for towing and resale... good luck w/ your decision... i have several 250 and 350 and wouldn't trade them for anything..
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-20-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Jason,

I am sure that it is a 6.0L. In mid 2005 cadillac didn't offer a 5.3L engine any longer. You could only get the caddy in a 6.0L. And I am also sure that it does not have AWD.

I have heard a rumor that on Tuesday, Ford is going to zero percent financing. If that is the case, I think I will spring for the new truck. it will be hard to pass up no interest.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Get rid of the GM and get the real deal. You will not go wrong getting the diesel....We have a couple that we use to tow boats and there is nothing that even stands close!
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
I think you're making a wise choice going diesel. I have a 1/2 ton crew cab w/5.3 in it and have the same problems. I have a lift, 35s, regeared to 4.56 gears and power programmed it. I get about 12-13 collectively while towing my Supra 21V. It sucks when leaving stop lights and going up hills. I usually drive on the highway in "3" and go about 65 or less.

GET THE DIESEL! :-)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-20-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
"it will be hard to pass up no interest."

Oh do not think you are not making up for them buying the loan down in some way. On that note, I bought my truck on the three year no interest deal.

One tons ride way to stiff, but if you plan to put on, or tow, a camper they are the only way to go.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Mike, I agree and currently in your same situation! I have an 05 F-150 supercrew and really need an F-250 turbo powerstroke. I have a Calabria Pro-V and it really puts a strain on my 5.4 V8 going up hills. Not to mention it only gets 7-8 mph doing so!!! I've got two friends that pull their boats with F250's and they have zero problems. Although one of them is a later model F-250 with the 7.3l turbo diesel I personally think it's a better engine than the 6.0l that's currently offered. Awesome thing is they report getting about the same mileage whether towing or not with these trucks! Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on getting an F-250 is because I wouldn't have anything other than the supercrew and they are like parking a bus in normal everyday parking situations. I've been eyeing the excursions as well with the powerstroke but as soon as I get another SUV in the family I'll need a pickup for something!!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-21-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
donno man, are you towing long distances regularly?

the escalade is a sweet vehicle, especially when your not towing. If it gets the job done, and you already have it, I'd just keep it
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Have you driven the Ford?

I went from a Tahoe Z71 (similar to your Escalade) to a Ram 2500 Cummins. One huge difference is how long a 4 door pickup is. The Ford would not fit in my garage, and I have an extended garage. Neither would a Chevy. The Ram makes do with a msaller cab, but I think it was worth it whenever I have to park the thing.

Of the 3, the Chevy defneity has the better ride and interior. However both Ford and Chevy have extremely high warranty complaints on their diesel trucks. I personally did not like the numb feeling of driving hte GMC, but that was me. I drove one with a load on (12.5K 5er) and it felt extremely loose. The Dodge felt much tighter, BUT my wife is not a big fan the ride when it is empty. Pulling the LSV she does not complain, but when un loaded it is somewhat rough. Does nto bother me a bit, but to her, too rough.

Many people buy and nejoy Ford diesel trucks. But I would take one if you gave it to me. The numbers on the warranty claims are horrific. FWIW - the 01 to 04 are the worst.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-21-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
I say do it. I've had a couple of diesel pickups, both Ford, and have no complaints. I currently own a 6.0L powerstroke and have nothing but praise, and it fits in my garage just fine. It's a CC SWB SRW Lariat, with a 4" lift and 35's, and I can walk around either end of it when it's in the garage. Measure your garage stall, mines like 25 feet deep.

Chevy may have a better interior looks wise, but longevity goes to Ford. Those who say the D-max has an excellent transmission are wrong as well. The Allison 1000 (what the d-max uses) is lightweight garbage. Ask anyone that has put a tuner on a d-max. You can also keep the IFS on the Chevys, give me a solid front axle.

Dodge apparently has a new auto trans that can withstand the Cummins. Time will tell. Before the only way to buy a Cummins was with the stick. Otherwise, it was buy a trans at 70K. I hear that quality is up with the Dodge as well, which used to be an issue.
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
The most complained thing about the Cummins is the auto tranny. (I have the 6 speed manual.) However, almost all failures are in modded trucks. The Cummins is so easy to mod, and can make stupid power that it will shred nearly any tranny you put behind it. If you leave it stock, the suto tranny is god for at least 250K.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-21-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
No brainer. Ditch the escalade and get the F-250.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Just got back from a 450 mile tow up to Naci, one big pass, one small pass, and 20 miles of twisty steep hilly roads in between, and alot of flat out highway stuff.

06 F250 Lariat FX4 SB 6.0L, I have the tow haul mode which most have, it will use the engine as a brake on steep decents and allow you to wind up higher on the climbs. Handled everything easily. i thought my brakes would be smoking when I got to the lake at the end of the hills, they were fine. The motor kept it smooth and safe the whole way. Uphill was nothing, the turbo spools up and you just motor right on up. I rarely push it to the floor.

Coming home the highway was choked due to some oversized trailers bottlenecking eveyone. I got in the right lane and cruised 75-80 with no trouble except it guzzled a bit more gas. I averaged 12 mpg for the trip, but my motor is only 2000 miles old now, so it's not even fully broken in yet.

You may lose some comfort when compared to the Caddy, but check the Lariat leather interior with the captains chairs up front, it's pretty damn plush. We fit 3 adults, 2 kids and a dog in there for a 4 hour trip, eveyone was fine. The crew cab with a short bed is a very very nice vehicle.

Ford is redoing their 6.0 litre engine and moving to a 6.4 litre. If you are planning on purchasing one, do it soon so you won't have the 6.4 first year bugs to work out. The 07's were a short run on the 6.0 litre. There are no differences on the 06 and 07 6.0 litres. I love my new diesel. The F250 Powerstroke is a big safe tow machine. Once you pull with it you will be amazed, especially pulling a boat.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-21-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
i actually just did what flux said. i got an '07 6.0 Litre. i dont know about towing yet because i just got it 2 days ago, but i love driving it. i will be towing the boat in the next day or two but not far, just to the dealership.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/359251.html?1156186304
Old     (dajuice)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
You must tow your boat A LOT to even be considering trading an Escalade for any truck?? I have an '07 Denali and mine pulls my SANTE great. Just my opinion though.Upload
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
Any of you new F250 (or any diesel) owners pay attention to breaking it in.

First 50 mi: Baby it, plain and simple.
Next 500-1000 mi: Road trip and vary the RPM's, don't set it in Cruise Control and go for hours.

At 1000, hook up your boat and find some nice hills, give the thing a workout and you are good to go. Get an early oil change as the factory oil will break down due to the extra heat of the rings mating to the piston walls.

I probably towed hard with mine too early (600 mi)and probably cruised at set speed a little too much. The dealer won't tell you too much about it most likely, they will say go ahead and do what you do.

Here's a good article on the break-in stuff:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/239418-breaking-in-the-6-0l.html?highlight=breaking+

Scroll down a bit
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
break in procedure for Cummins:
1. buy truck
2. find 15K trailer
3. drive it like you stole it
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
If you read the article, it's written about all diesel motors in general, not just the Ford. Although it's not as critical with the newer engines, you can still break-in your motor a little better than just waiting a bit to tow.

My whole goal is to make my engine last and get all the power and economy it can produce. After reading that article I was glad I took an unweighted roadtrip with alot of ups and downs to vary the RPM's, I am also glad I waited 500 miles to tow.

Breaking in the engine properly will give you better gas mileage, more power, and less oil consuption over the life of the engine.

Anyway, it's only some suggested reading. I did alot of research on the Ford Powerstroke before I bought it. I plan to keep mine a long long time.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Not everyone is a truck guy. I wasn't sure I was until I bought one. I'll never be without a truck again, and I don't mean an SUV. I've had two and loved them both but not like the truck.

I just put 1000 miles on a 2005 Ford F350 Diesel Crewcab 4x4 King Ranch in the Yukon Territory and I can tell you that it is one nice truck. My problem with the Ford is the steering wheel design, the length of the truck and the turning radius; which are issues in everyday driving. That's why I like the Dodge. It has a turning radius 7ft smaller than the F250. I believe it is also 18" shorter yet big enough for my friends and family and I know it tows just as well.

I'll get flamed for this but.... if your the kind of guy that puts low profile tires on your SUV then I doubt you will want a real truck. It kills me when I see low profile performance tires on trucks and SUV's, especialy 4x4. It turns an SUV into a nothing but a minivan and ruins the truck for what it was made for. ALL IMAGE AND NO FUNCTION, not a good image either, seems ghetto IMO. Honestly, if you want your vehicle to carry more than 4 people, haul groceries and handle similar to a sports car then buy a BMW or Audi wagon. I saw those towing campers and even horse trailers in Germany. Saw a few in the woods on the side of the autobahn too, guess they figured they didn't tow too often so it made sense.

With the advances in diesel engines I see no reason to buy a gasoline automoblie unless it's a sports car or sports sedan. The new diesels are pretty quiet (atleast inside the cab), smoke free, last longer than gas engines, get better milage especialy when towing, have nearly twice the torque, and have better resale value. Plus diesel is usually cheaper than gasoline and seems especialy so in the summer when were spending all of our money on boat gas.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Chad - I'm with you on the low-pros on SUVs, and I think that brings out a point I was trying to make...

Escalades and F250's are both really nice, but are also completely different animals. The Escalade also happens to be IMO plenty for towing a 21' boat almost anywhere in Texas. Boats tow well compared to boxy things like campers due to their basically aerodynamic shape. If you've ever towed a camper, you know what I'm talking about. If I had something like that, I'd definitely own a 3/4 ton or more.

You just need to decide which you'd rather have. I couldn't live without a pickup because I haul large, heavy, dirty stuff pretty often, but trucks also don't have much in the way of security. I can't really put a bedcover or camper shell on my truck becuase I use it for hauling my bikes, so if I have to be away from the rig for a while, I usually stick all my boards in the cab to lock them up. We recently sold an 04 Z71 Tahoe that rode better than my 1/2 ton, towed the boat just as well, was more comfortable than my extended cab for more than 2 people (not an issue with a CC), had a roof rack, and secure storage in the back.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Trace- your right about your comparisions to SUVs and trucks. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. When I was living in Europe we had a 03' Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 that was perfect for ski trips to Switzerland and Austria. It doesn't do so well with sheets of plywood and landscaping materials though. I guess you could always buy a trailer for that stuff.

It would be a good thing if more SUVs were available with diesel engines and had the frame and suspension to go with it. I know the new Escalades have plenty of power but it's all relative and it won't last as long. I guess as long you don't need a true truck but just a vehcile to tow your boat it is fine. No doubt more comfortable to drive everyday. Yes, my friend's Denali pulls my boat fine, just not as well as an F350.

About three years ago while I was in Germany, I was having a really hard time trying to decide between a BMW M3 and a Porsche Boxster S. I bought neither. Why....

1. Because I was moving back to Texas
2. Because a top of the line fullsize diesel truck today will still be a cool truck in 10, 15, 20 years. It's just an old truck with plenty of ultility left. A car or an SUV is just a beat up old car or SUV. (Except for maybe the old fullsize Bronco/Ram Charger/K5 Blazer). If the Porsche Cayman was out then it would have been hard not to buy it. I'm not a convertible type of guy.

15 years from now I'm sure I'll be driving a car everyday, but I'll still have my old truck to drive to Home Depot, the lake, hunting/fishing, etc. I sure as hell wouldn't want a 15 year old SUV.

(Message edited by dcwillette on August 21, 2006)