Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    jonnyho            09-15-2005, 6:10 AM Reply   
I am 33 and just starting to wakeboard. I waterskied when I was young and was pretty good. I have been doing well on a wakeboard but any info on resources (books, videos, tips ect) would be great. I live in Panama City Florida and Wakeboarding is non-existant. I don't get it...The bays and bayous have great water.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-15-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
Hey Old Fart,

I'm, 53 and working on my invert(s) so just keep at it...I have Higher Education but I'm sure there's newer stuff than that...lots of info here so just kick back and search around

good luck

Wes
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
Best tip vid/DVD is "The Book." You will ride better-sooner-safer.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-15-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Man, three years ago I would have pulled your old ass every day. I didn't have anyone to ride with there. Check into Deerpoint Lake, there's some riding up there in Lynnhaven.
Old    jonnyho            09-15-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I just moved down in Feb. I will look into Deerpoint. What is the story with the lack of watersports down here.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
You're a pup. I'm not as old as Wes, but I am 45. Age is a frame of mine. I won't steal this quote, but I saw it here, "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Also I'm with Chris. "The Book" DVD rocks. If you can spring for $90, get the whole box set from www.wakeside.com and earn yourself some bonus bucks.

Remember, just have fun and "If you're not any good, you've gotta be tough."
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
The Book the set agreed, its got it all. If you have a local shop I would buy it from them if not online is cool support local boardshops if you have one.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-15-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
There used to be a local boardshop up there I think either on 77 or 231 (i think 77, though), but the name escapes me. Something that was a play on the word "bored" only it was spelled board.
Old    obsurfer            09-15-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Thanks I'm 45 and still using my Detention tape.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-15-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
ha! to be honest i would assume refering to yourself as an 'old fart' at the ripe age of 33 is almost insulting to other riders here, so time to check yer head! age is merely an attitude.

although i haven't yet bought it, 'the book' looks excellent. i played out my dvds of dentention and higher education. imo higher ed was much better, but both are useful. i also recently purchased waketrix but got rid of it soon after as i didn't think much of it.

im no expert but i have a few inverts and spins under my belt now. i'm 38, don't consider myself old at all and didn't start riding until i was 35, so you've plenty of time to become an accomplished rider. just take your time and learn as much as you can. as said above, there's lots of information here, on dvd and in the mags. utilize it and you won't be sorry.

and as long as we're throwin' down quotes, i've always like this one from bertrand russell:

"time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

no doubt some joe splifs would reinterpret it as:

"time you enjoy being wasted isn't wasted time" but that's a story for another waste of time... :-)

(Message edited by deepstructure on September 15, 2005)
Old    jonnyho            09-15-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
I don't think I am old and I am certainly willing and able to take some knocks.
It just seems everyone I see on the net or otherwise is much younger.
I will be doing this until I cannot walk anymore. I will have to say that the more seasoned I get the fearless nature starts to escape. I love Wakeboarding and just need to take it to the next level.
Great feedback on "the Book" I am going to get it asap. I still have a couple of months of riding to do this season. Then it is on to Snowboarding.
You are all right Age is a state of mind and I plan to kick it as long as my mind and body will allow!!!!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-15-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
Look at www.buywake.com for all your resouce needs... Wakeboarding is alive and well about 45 minutes away in Destin Florida.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
I might as well chime in here.....42 years young and just started boarding this year.(I did ride a friends board once about 8 years ago, the kind with just a heel strap and a toe piece)

I've been waterskiing since I was 8, but I wish boarding were around back then.....very fun!

Never too old to start learning, just gotta stay out of the ER! :-)
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
I guess I qualify as another member of the old fart club too.
I'm 44, but I still try to get out behind the boat every weekend from May to October.
For learning tips I turn to Detention, WakeTrix, Higher Education, Wake Physics and my crew.
These old fart threads pop-up every now and then.
I think they're funny.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
I am 39 and that is not old. You are as old as you feel. Some days coming off the water I feel 60 but it is always awesome.

Wes, I hope when I am 52 and trying inverts...bravo!

I have Higher Education and have seen parts of The Book...they are both great but The Book is more in depth.

The best thing is to go out with people better than you and have them give you tips (FREE LESSONS).

Welcome to the club!!!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-15-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Don't old farts have more gas money?
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
More gas money but only because the sets are shorter....
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-15-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
I'm 51 and while I don't inverts on the horizon for me, I'm having a lot of fun with the sport. I wish I had started when I was a young 33 (actually, it wasn't invented then).

Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2005, 5:49 AM Reply   
Hey Tate,

I hear ya on the going out with folks who are better...I've spent my wakeboarding life with my family - my wife doesn't ride as she broke her elbow several years back causing her pain. She's been my primary driver but since she doesn't ride, she really hasn't developed driving skills - she can drive, just not too well (bless her heart she still gives it a go!) my kids ages 12 and 15 both ride but I'm better than them (no bragging just fact).

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife decided to go back to USTA tennis leaving me without a driver so I'm looking for crew or to be a third, hopefully with folks who are better than me...I've taken a few lessons over the years that help immensely but I'm to the point now where I need a GOOD pull so I can concentrait on my riding and not have to worry about the boat/driver...my kids are a little tentative yet about driving the boat pulling me...sorry for the length.

To all who are "old" - just kick it...I do seem to live in pain most of the time - Vitamin I (I-be-broken) helps

Old farts have more gas...I'm not sure whether we have more money...

Oh, John Homer, I forgot...welcome to the "club" I envy you your long riding season...I think ours will wrap up in November (drysuit a must!!)

Peace

Wes

(Message edited by wesgardner on September 16, 2005)
Old    jonnyho            09-16-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
Wes,
Thanks for the welcome! You are an inspiration to us all.
I agree with the concept of riding with those who are better. I know it worked for my snowboarding and I just wish I had some folks closer to learn from. I have already bought "The Book."
I found it new on Ebay New with Shipping for 74.95. Just type The Book wakeboarding in the search box.
I love the Vitamin I comment. For me it is Glucosomine and Aleve.... all day long all day strong Baby!!!!
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Hey Jon,

I'm also 33. The trick is to charge hard and enjoy. I think advertising and specially magazines can convince us that this is a young person only sport. I know my wife simply won't read the rags because they are so obviously targeted at the teenage male audience. Don't believe the hype man. Live, Love, Ride. It's a family sport in my house.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
33!....still young. Gotta agree with Glen on the family thing. Our boat has been the BEST thing for the family. We have two boys (8 & 11) and both have been riding for several years. I just turned 40 (ouch), but started riding skurfers years (and years) ago. Pushing the kids and their friends keeps us young. We've taken "adult" friends out who won't try, now that's old (regardless of age). "Old" is just a state of mind. My wife says the kids have outgrown the "timeouts", but I haven't....never intend to. I'll ride until I can no longer get back on the platform......then I'll just float.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
The biggest problem I have is that at my age it's hard to find people to go out with. Fortunately in Orlando we have a cable park, so it isn't necessary to have a boat driver. Right now I working on teaching my Fiancee to pull me. Now maybe I will be able to even up my time a little between the cable and the boat.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Just turned 50, and even tho I suck at wakeboarding, I won't quit until I absolutely have to! I love it, and there's no other way I want to spend my free time. My favorite old fart quote: "If I would have known I was going to live so long, I would have taken much better care of myself".

I'm shopping around for a new board set up. Any shops out there give "senior citizen discounts"?

I agree with Glen - Live, Love, Ride....Who cares what your age is. Do what you love.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
Stephaneee,

You go girl!!! Now that's the attitude!!!
I'll give you a pull if you're ever in NJ.

For a new board, try "buywake.com"

Dave (42)
Old    jayp            09-16-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
Your not an old fart. I have only been boarding for about a year. Started when I was 39. I ride any chance I get. I am in such great shape from riding so much that I feel like I did twenty years ago. I don't feel like an old fart. I still can't ride worth a crap.

As for resources. I will also recommend The Book. I only have the second volume Building a Foundation, but my riding has improved. The edging drills really helped me.

If I were you I would take advantage of being in Florida and take a few lessons. Isn't the Wakeboard Camp in Clermont? The one with Kyle Schmidt. Those are the guys that made The Book.

I am in Portland OR or else I would spend a couple of days there.

Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
Jon ,I am 47 and I just started Wakeboarding this year. I also was a water skier, but it was getting to hard on the body. Wakebording is not as hard on the body and I enjoy it much more. You are never too old to have fun. I Have the Video By Shaun Murry titled Detention. It has been very helpful for me Check it out.
Old    newbee            09-16-2005, 11:57 PM Reply   
I'm a 43 yr. old dad, and just got up on a wakeboard, this last labor day for the first time. That's why i use the name newbee. We got my 21 yr old son (he just did a year w/US ARMY in Kuwait) out of the water on a wakeboard for the first time last weekend. I don't give a hoot how much gas costs, man we are having some of the best times of our lives together with his new wife(my newest daughter), my 16 yr. old daughter and her boyfriend out in that boat. Yeah i was sore for a few days this week(doans party), but the memories and videos we're making, the belly laughs and cheering everyone on to get up and out of the water is "priceless". i just bought our first speed boat ever, boat last year and we gotta a lot of catching up to do. living in Minnesota adds extra pressure as this may be one of our last weekends this year. It's a new addiction right now and i ask everyone i see if they want to go with us. My goal yet this year , is to get my newest daughter up on a wakeboard! I'll never be more than a hack out there and thats just fine with me. but never in my wildest dreams did i think we could ever have this much fun. My 10yr old is up and coming. I see many years of future fun with our boat.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2005, 4:54 AM Reply   
Dan,

That's what it's all about...great family fun.
Sounds like you're in the prime of your life to me!:-)
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       09-17-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
Dan,

Great post! You pretty much have summed up what wakeboarding is. It's all about family and friends - sharing the laughs and miles of glass. It really doesn't matter what your age is, your riding ability or what boat you are in. Just being out on the water and having fun, making memories, enjoying the good times.

Welcome to the club!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2005, 6:49 AM Reply   
hello everyone, my name is joe and i'm an old fart(anyone over 30 is an old fart), i think all you guys are going to be wakeboarding for a LONG time, and we should have a memorial service if anyone gives it up.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-19-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
Hey All,

Well I went riding with some folks who are definitely better than me this weekend (of course they're half my age) and I'm truely inspired when I see 'em huckin' (in a good sense) scarecrows, tantrums and backrolls off my boat (NO tower) so I'm up for it this weekend (hopefully)

Dan Abel - family riding is just so very cool ain't it - I still remember my young daughter's challenge to me to get out and try this...

Wes