Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-22-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I board with about a 50 ft rope, will I be able to get more air with a longer rope, and if so, any ideas on how to make my wake not roll over so soon??
Old    zanek            05-22-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Well, IF you wake gets taller the farther back you go, yes you'll get bigger air, but it'll be harder to cross both wakes. Just add weight to you boat via: fat sacs or fat people
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-22-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
I've tried riding that short twice, once because my rope got caught in the prop and once on a friends i/o boat and that's all he had. Both times the wake at that length was horrible, as in unrideable (is that a word? :-0 ) it had no 'ramp' and the hole coming into it made it difficult to do anything. Put some weight in the boat and lengthen the rope.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-22-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
James,
Also remember that the more weight you add to the boat, the faster the boat speed needs to be so the wake is clean, as your longer rope length lets you get further back on the wake.

Weighting your boat properly is important as well. It doesn't matter if you have an inboard tournament boat or I/O, you need to weight the front so the bow doesn't "dance" while you are riding. If you only weight down the back, it can make it very difficult to plane out and the wake will be washy.

Typically on I/O's, I will ride a little shorter (about 5 feet) then on a tournament boat. I ride at 85 feet at 26-26.5 mph. But it also depends on how the boat is weighted.

Sorry for the long post but there's a lot that goes along with lengthening your line, i.e weighting of the boat, boat speed, etc. Just keep that in mind.

Best of luck
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
Thanks ryan, dont worry about the long post, I need all the help I can get. My boat is a I/O and I just bought some fat sacs. do alot of people ride at t hat speed???
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-23-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
No, Ryan's just crazy

James - I've ridden with Ryan, he is a good rider and likes a big wake and long rope which means he needs more speed. I think most people ride closer to 22 - 23. Of course, as Ryan said, it depends on boat, ballast, wake, rope length, ability... Things you'll have to play with and figure out what works best for you.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-23-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
James,
It's becoming more common that people are riding at faster speeds only because they are going to longer line lengths and really weighting down their boats. I've slowly built up to riding at 85 feet at 26mph. It just felt better the more I got comfortable at that length. It gives more approach time to the wake, more float time in the air and actually felt softer on the landings (at least to me).

Randy Harris and the WSR's started this trend of riding long a few years back and I originally thought it was nutz, but after slowly building up to it, it feels great now. I'm not sure if I will ever go longer then 85 though.

I don't think I would reach that length on an I/O, but I could be wrong. I haven't ridden behind an I/O since I went to 85 feet so I'm not sure how the wake would be back there.

Thanks for the nice words Craig. Hopefully, my knee will be healed as scheduled and I will be back in the water with you guys by August. Have fun on the water today.

Aloha
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
my boat is an 1989 vip I/O, I think that it has alot of potential, just have to get that wake right, If I can just get it to65 or 70 ft, I would be stoked.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2004, 4:09 AM Reply   
any other ideas?