Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
For those of you who are lucky enough to live in Florida or California, you can not really understand the agony of having to sit around 5 months of the year and stare at frozen rivers and lakes. While not being able to wakeboard can be painful, it allows a rider to truly appreciate that glorious first pull of the season. Snowboarding is a lot of fun, but it still can't replace that feeling of riding across a glassy body of water while your best friends yell at you to try that new grab, spin, or invert! From your last day on the water in late October, the anticipation begins to build.

There are certain milestones along the way. One of the hardest is buying new equipment. Those of you who have "endless summers" get to try your new board, bindings, or handle the same day you buy it. I had to sit around and look at my brand new Murray bindings while I watched the thermometer slowly creep above 30 degrees. As it gets warmer and warmer, the anticipation gets tougher to deal with. The hardest part is when air feels warm enough to go out on the boat, but the water is still below 40 degrees.

Finally, the day arrives when you can't take it any more. You grab your dry suit, ignore all of your friends who call you "crazy," and hit the ridiculously cold water. Regardless of the horrible temperature or conditions, that first pull of the year is priceless. It proves to you that you didn't forget everything you ever learned. Whether you have been riding for 15 years, or it is just your second season, the first pull instantly gets you stoked about all the new tricks you are going to attempt in the coming year. The houseboat trips you have been planning seem a little more realistic, and suddenly the boring days at work become a little more bearable.

This is a thread for people to talk about their first run of 2008. How cold was it? What did you wear? What kind of new equipment did you use? Was it on your brand new boat? Did you pick up right where you left off last year? Did you spend more time faceplanting than landing toeside? Were you really conservative? Did you throw your hardest invert on your first pass? Were you in shape from working out over the winter? Could you only ride for 2 minutes before your hands cramped up and your thighs started burning??? SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

-Chris
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
saturday was my first day out during a demo day. It was the first time ive ridden behind an x-star which i might say is amazing. The delta water ways here in nor-cal were pretty damn cold especially because all i was wearing was boardshorts and a life vest but at least it was like 82 degrees that day. I got to ride the two boards ive been stuck between the hyperlite tribute and cwb faction both are amazing but i liked the tribute a bit more because im coming off a double up board. Def. no inverts for me cause im not that good at wakeboarding since i mostly wakeskate. Even though i only got to ride for maybe 20 to 30 mins it was still amazing and best part is no injuries to start off the season with.

Hope things heat up and get better for you.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
wow.. are you depressed or what? Smile man... things are alot better then what you think.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 2:54 AM Reply   
Chris, thanks for your post! I feel you!!

I was skiing last weekend (season closing around here), but that is not even a close subsitute to wakeboarding. Kept myself up with vids and "cuddling" my board in the past months. And, after checking the weather forecast for this coming weekend, I know that I will be out on the water again on saturday! Water temp is app. 48 degrees, which is the lowest I can take with a 3/2, but I am super-stoked for getting out there soon.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-14-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
I picked up my new wakeboard (Witness 136 w/Watson CT) in December and have been wearing it indoor on a miniature trampoline ever since. Last Sunday I finally got it in the water (here in Missouri) with drysuit and new zero-G handle with A-line from BBB. Naturally, it felt like it was my first time wakeboarding ever but after getting warmed up (not literally - 45 degree water), I remembered why I loved it. Sure maybe the first run only yielded heelside w2w and maybe I wasn't popping quite right but I am excited about the season and possibilities (and then went out this weekend and fell off a longboard trying to ride switch down a hill when it got the wobbles) so going to rest up and hope that it is ready because our snow this weekend has turned to sun today.Upload
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Chris, I feel ya bro. I blew out both of my knees last year and had surgery on them at the end of September and the other in October. The thought of getting back on the water was my motivation to get thru it. I've be out a couple times air 60 water 50 and wind 25-30 so the chop sucked on the knees but it was still great to get back on the board.

See ya out there this summer.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Our team at Mizzou went out March 10th to a heated lake here, it stays at around 55 all winter. The air was only 55, but it was still pretty comfortable!

The funny thing is that I rode over my spring break in my hometown here, and the water was 40 deg...a month later!

Weather was 30 deg all weekend here, with freezing rain. I am about 10 seconds from just dropping everything here and moving to Cali or Florida right now!
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-14-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
i rode saturday april 12 this year in columbus ohio. water temp was 55 degrees air temp was 47 degrees wind was blowing 25-30mph strait down the river. i had a drysuit with a sweatshirt underneath and it wasnt that bad really but i had a blast just beeing out for the first time of the year
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
My first ride was on March 5th, wearing a rash guard, a comp vest, and boardshorts. Water temp was around 48, the wind was blowing, and the air was around 59. It was awesome.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
I rode in Carlsbad a couple weeks ago, water in the mid 60s, air in the high 70s. Awesome...

-Steve

P.S. Water's about 68º and air has been about 80º the last few days
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (gjacko77)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Rode April 5th in 44 degree water in Kentucky. Wore the only wet suit that i had which is a short sleeve and shorts one. It was so so COLD my arms and legs acutually hurt a bit. I rode horrible but it was so fun to be back out on the water!!
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-14-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Rode in early April, water temp. was in the high 30's (part of the lake was still frozen), and the air temperature was about 48 degrees F. Chilly but fun, thanks to Greg.

Cheers.
Old     (cyprus)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Just started the season this past weekend. Did two sets on Saturday and two long sets on Sunday. Water was like glass whole weekend -- not always common in Mediterranean sea. Glad to be back on the water.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I've been riding all year. The water temp in AZ is 81 deg. No more wet suit or heater shirt.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
my first set may end up being in POWELL! its getting hard to wait. tahnk goodness for WW and all you guys who keep me remotely sane....
.... i might have to post some evidence of my "insanity on another thread, i have not quite decided if i will or not. ;)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Well we rode new years day, Does that count....
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
I pulled the boat the 2nd week in March. Air 70, water 74 (heated lake). I landed everything I landed last year in my 1st set, including the backroll.

I then spent the remainder of the day trying to land the Toe 3 wake to wake. I landed on my 10th try.

Two weeks later, I landed everything in my 1st set, including the newly added Toe 3, all linked back to back.

Two weeks later, I was playing football w/ some friends. I dove for a ball, hit the ground, and:

Upload

Broke my collar bone. Now I'm out 'til June.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Well, I'm still waiting for that first pull.
I just put the snowmobile away today.

Another couple weeks and the ice will be out.

It hit 55* today, first time I've seen that since last October. Its coming yeeehaaaa!!
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Ouch man, that sucks, Atleast you'll get the majority of the summer, hope your recovery goes well
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-14-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
We took mu sisters new boat out yesterday to get some hours on it and check the wake out. We decided to go boarding next weekend even if the water is still in the forties. Cant wait but still have a lot of work to do on getting my boat out.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-14-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Took my first pull here in Oregon last saturday. Air 75, water 50. Was able to stand the water in just a shorty wetsuit. I'm pretty stoked about this season. Just started inverts last season (tantrum, backroll, and frontroll) and I landed my very first backroll attempt this season. I couldn't pop quite as high into the flats as last season, but I'm sure I will get there soon enough. Can't wait to learn more inverts/spins this season. I have high hopes!
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
I got the pleasure of my first ride behind the new boat on my brand new board (I've never used anything but my bro's waketech with sandal bindings) on friday in the delta, I 'll be honest I suck ballsack at wakeboarding and I almost cleared the wake but cased hard and bruised my a$$ through the wetsuit, went riding the next day at Don Pedro and was alot more scared but needless to say it was fun as hell and I am stoked on all the recent purchases, if i can clear the wake by the end of the season I'll be happy!!
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
the lake FINALLY unfrozen a couple weeks ago in wisconsin. hoping to get that first set in next week! even tho its guna be freeeezing without a drysuit.

(Message edited by bartush on April 14, 2008)
Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
I am not depressed any more johnny wake! I am pumped because the season is here. That is the whole point of this thread bro!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Finally got my first sets of the season this last weekend. I reconfirmed that i suck, i'm sore from head to toe........ and i had a blast.
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Definitely feel the pain up here in NH Chris! I'm honestly not sure if my lake is thawed yet or not...I'm too scared to go look.

Not like it matters anyway...gate isn't open til the weekend before memorial day weekend in May. Wicked lame, but they're trying to keep the damn milfoil out of the lake and don't have the help until then...

On the bright side the water shouldn't be too cold at that time :-)

Can't wait to ride my new '07 Transcend 138 and Ronix Cell CT boots! Got here just this past Friday...WOOHOOOO!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'm beyond stoked. I've been riding every Friday with the wakeboard club here at Tech, and finally started progressing some. I'm retarded when it comes to landing switch, so no 180's at this time. Funny thing is, when I land and pop the handle, I always ride it out switch... I never actually fall... Anyways, I've finally started grabbing stuff, and jumping toeside, but that stupid backroll is still eluding me. I think I keep starting it too early and not letting myself pop off the wake.

This season is going to be insane. I got clearance from my dad to put a box on the shoreline leading into the lake, where I'm going to build a slider. I'm beyond stoked about that. If it doesn't cost too much, I may even build a kicker leading out into the lake. Have some hellacious rail jams in my backyard with the local riders. Maybe LF will come down and hit it if they sit by the cliffs again. Now that would be cool. Yeah I'm a tool, but so what?
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
Wish I could. Still tryin to get the d@mn boat fixed.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-15-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Ive broke my collar bone before man, it sucks ill ride a set for ya ;)
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-15-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
1st pull of hte season and I tweek my lower back.

2nd pull of the season and my arm gets pulled out of the socket. going to the doc on tues :-(
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-15-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Dan I feel for ya I did that mountian biking, 6 mile trek back walkin the bike with my arm in a innertube sling was not fun. Good luck, get better.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-15-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
air was mid 70's, water was high 50's
rocked the drysuit
was getting on the new lyman.

First set was the most fun i've ever had wakeboarding.

i got outside the wake, and found out that the board was in fact loose, and instantly got the biggest grin ever on my face
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-15-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. On the bright side, I've got some good drugs. Also, my normal 2nd tweaked his knee on a 5 off a double-up & tore his meniscus. He went under the knife last week, so he's out for a few weeks as well.

Hey Nick, you riding w/ Jeff & Brian? Have they got their new MB from Alan yet?
Old     (joec08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey, I was out on Sat and had the best crew. We were all a little rusty. It's kinda hard to decide - do i wear a shorty wet suit or do i brave the 85 degree az sun and 68 degree freezing water. Life Is Good.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-15-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
it was about 95 here in southern california on sunday and i was lucky enough to ride it, i rode in just boardshorts and my vest, water was a little cold but it was fine once you were up and out of it
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Woohoo low to mid 60's up here in NH today and expected to hit 70 tomorrow :-) (well...that'll be today in about 4 minutes)

On a good note, worked on getting one of the boats ready for the season :-)

On a bad note- it didn't go so well...

(Message edited by veritas on April 15, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Dan,

Yeah, I've been riding with them. No, the MB deal fell through because of Tech's lawyers, and the Malibu just broke down. Jeff drove up to his house and brought his Mastercraft down over the weekend, but right now we're hunting for boats...
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Apfestadt, whats up!!! My first day out on griggs was the last day of March!!! Of course.... I did just get back from Orlando!
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Nick,

Yeah, I heard about the 'bu...Damn Wakeboarders!

Well, my MB's not in use for the next few months...
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Funny thing is, it was running fine up until last week, when we were barely close to the capacity for the past couple weeks out. It hadn't frozen, and we weren't overloading the boat at all... Definitely us wakeboarder's fault. I joined up to relax on the lake, get some video for gauntlet, and ride, and now there's a bunch of internal fighting between the older members that ski and the newer wakeboarders. Fantastic.

About your MB...
Really? It isn't? Hmmmm....
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Hey Chris, I take German as a foreign language and did you know your name loosely translates into "applecity" in German?

Apfel-Apple

Stadt-City

Apfelstadt-Applecity
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2008, 10:04 PM Reply   
So last saturday me and my freinds went out behind a friends fishing/ski boat. bloody freezing
air 37
water 35

Upload
me on the new board
Upload
my friend trying it out as well
Upload
he was freezing do to the fact he was wearing a shorty
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
Question. Why is the guy on the kneeboard wearing a shorty? Does he have any toescoughno wait LEGS left?
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-17-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
guy on the kneeboard checking in...
what was i supposed to do, let them both go and then just chill in the boat?

oh lawd was it cold though, haha.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Lol, jack one of their wetsuits afterwards, just like, wear compression shorts underneath so that there's no er, indirect contact.... *shifty eyes*
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
We're putting the piers and boat track in Saturday, hope to ride Sunday assuming nothing major is wrong. I've been staring at my new bindings since January
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-17-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
I made it out for the first time on Friday with Jon Fowler. Thank you. We rode behind his Nautique 220 on Lake Sammamish. Water is in the high 40's. Also got out behind my 83 stars and stripes yesterday. Both days were nothing but glass. I also got to witness a pretty good rider having a blast behind the 83 with one 700# sack in it. Wake isn't that big but is super clean and has a little lip.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-17-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Nick,

Jeff & Brian know how to get in touch w/ me, so if you are up the Lake Anna way, you're welcome out w/ us. However, with gas prices up to $3.40 a gallon, there's no F'n way I'm towing that thing down to Blacksburg...
Old     (slightlysariz08)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-20-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
First set of the season today!! Water temp was in the sixties and air temp was about 75..and wore nothing but a bathing suit and a life jacket..so needless to say it was freezing! Finally got to bust out my brand new board and bindings (LF Angel 134 and Ronix Luxe bindings) that have been waiting since December! The cold was tough but so worth it!
Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
Wes,

Good job on the German translation. Apfelstadt is actually a city in Germany. My father has been there and met the "burgermiester"

What's up kurt! I almost accidently landed a scarecrow today!
Old     (jgmaher)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2008, 12:15 AM Reply   
A few buddies and I on the delta never really stopped riding... not to say it wasn't FREEZING and people weren't calling us crazy (my hands would swell up after about 10 minutes). But I will say that I feel for ya man, I can't go a month without at least bein in a boat or I will go insane. I could only imagine. Wakeboarding is good for the soul!
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2008, 1:51 AM Reply   
So finally had my first set yesterday! The water was still pretty cold - somewhere in the mid 50s, but the air was nice and warm. Absolutely glassy surface because the wind had not yet started and few boats around.

It was just perfect for carving and doing a couple 180s and grabs. Didn't try backroll, tantrum or 360 (which I've been working on last season) 'cause I wanted to avoid too much contact with the water. ;-)

It was just perfect being out there again!! Can't wait for next weekend!
Old     (samson864)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
the mountains are still covered with snow but i can't wait any longer now...Upload