Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'm having issuses with my sub in my boat and not sure what is the problem. When i turn on the stereo the sub would "pop" so to speak then sometimes turn on and sound great.. Well after time now it just "pops" and wont turn on. I've checked the amp wires, wire connection, fuses and everything. Everything seems fine on that. Could I have a bad amp or a bad speaker, faulty wires? any ideas?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
Sounds like you either have a bad amp or bad ground. If you speaker "breaths" - it is likely the ground. If it does not, it is likely the amp.

Use a small portable speaker to test the amp.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-30-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
I had a JBL 10 inch in a ported box under the dash of my old boat..it would pop from time to time...other times it sounded great..the problem..
Heat and Moisture, if it was being used a lot on a really hot day it would start to pop..speakers are designed to be in Cars..unfortunately their life is a little shorter when in boats..espcially the subs since they have the most travel...if the rest of the system works fine and if possible, try another sub see how that works...
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
THe rest of the system wirk awesome... I have the ground from my sub amp in the same area as my other amp's ground which all work great. I'm in the process of getting access to another sub to check out... THe sub itself is only a couple months old.. =(
Old    ratm3706            03-30-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Does the sub do this only at high volumes. If so, you could be bottomin the coil out. If this is the case then you are just pushing it to hard. Either box size is too big or something else. If the speaker is thumping when you turn ON the stereo, could just be the amp warming up then giving it a signal( somewhat normal for some amps). But if it is random, take the sub out, check the coil, see if it smells burnt (very recognizeable), move the sub around outside of the box and see if you can hear any pieces of coil that could have broken off from bottoming out. If you still can't figure it out post more info and we'll see what we can do.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
Sub does not do it at high volumes... well not anymore, it use to... haha... It use to be somewhat random, but not it pops a little the stays off
Old    ratm3706            03-30-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
could be your tinsel leads, take the sub out get a dmm(digital multi meter) switch it to ohms. and check the sub. should be somewhere between 1 and 8 depeding on your sub. If it does not read then take the probes and touch up close the cone where the tinsel leads disapper. If you get a reading then that sounds like your problem.