Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
What are the best New or used boats for choppy conditions?
We have a 19' SeaRay bowrider with 5.0L that we use On Lake Erie Ohio. Before I go putting more $$ into this boat just for boarding I want to check out a real machine! to see if it's worth it for this 43yr. old beginner!
Old    mccb            08-26-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
The new 2006 230 or x-30's MasterCraft are great all around boats nice and deep 16 person's and the x-45,I just got a x-30 with the mcx love it love it
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-26-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Supra's 24SSV, Moomba Mobius XLV, Tige 24V, MC x-45 or x-80, Malibu's 25 footer and new 245 or whatever it is called, Nautique's 226. The most affordable way would probably be with a Supra or Moomba though. Plus they have a dropped keel and very deep hull that some others don't do.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Sanger. Best I've ever been in rough water period. Nothing I've been in is even close. The newer big Mastercrafts have a pretty deep hull and probably do well, but I have no experience in those. My Session rides a little better than most, but sits high with lots of interior depth. Have never taken in any water, even loaded down.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
I can second the sanger. I have a V210 and it's rough water driving is awesome. If you're talking about open water with huge swells trying to get back to the dock safely type of boating then stick with an I/O or get as huge of a wakeboarding boat as you can. But if you're dealing with moderate chop the Sanger tackles it with ease.
Old     (rektek)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
mastercraft maristar or X-10, X-30 are pretty decent rough water boats
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
What does everyone concern Rough Water, I hear this all the time. On a trip last year in my 19.5 I/O we drove 35 miles across the lake Mead. When came out of the Narrows on the way back we were meet with 30-40mph wind and some big wind }waves 3-4 feet maybe bigger. We had no issues granted we had slow down and trying to ride the waves was fun and made to going easier. Then we had to turn into the wave, didn't like a issue but wouldn't have want a wave to come ove the bow.
Everyone I talk to about that says Wow aren't you glad you drive an I/O you would have sunk any of the Wakeboard or true Ski boats.

Please tell me this isn't true.

I do love my 3 GPH, 200hp. no room, seating for 6, ok wake, i/o but someday I would love a real boat. i\it might be a long time if I have to worry about the water getting rough.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-26-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Ryan are you the one who bought that sanger from barry/shaun. Dang you! Now we can't go out boarding anymore. J/K. If you don't love the boat, i'm sure you will. We had some great times in it and in my personal opinion the wake is one of the best out there.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Chris, the hull on wakeboard boats are usually not as deep as an I/O.. so, in heavy chop, they tend to take on water, which was the case with my Tige 21i going across lake mead. The MC X10 and X30s have a deep hull for a v-drive. I have taken my x10 thru some heavy chop and it handles it quite well.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
It's alot of driver skill as well. I had my 97 Malibu Echelon on the local shipping channels on trips back to the dock. Come across ships now and then, never had a prob getting through the rollers. Sometimes, they'd be as high as 6 feet. Look on either side of you and see nothing but water. Never took any water. This is simply being patient, carefull, and having a little skill.
I think they are addressing the normal busy lake/river chop caused by weekend boat traffic or winds. Some direct drives and v's do perform better than others.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2005, 5:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input everyone!
These are some of the issues I am worried about with real wake machines.
We ride on lake Erie,granted we try to only go out when the lake is flat but we do like to run out to the Islands and even with 10k of breeze let alone a storm like Chris mentions IT GETS BIG.
I wish we were in an area where I could at least third person in some of these boats just so I could see for myself, Wake,Power,Handling,people carrying capacity.
That's another thing I am not crazy with the Sea-Ray 19' I know it's small but with 2-jump seats at the stern on each side of the engine box. a back to back on passenger side and swivel captains chair there is not a whole lot of room for the shuffle between riders!
Well back to reading posts and dreaming!
Scott
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
Centurion Avalanche has a deep v hull all the way to the transom, unlike all of the other inboards. It is way better in rough water than any Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra, that I've been in.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
The Centurion Enzo and Typhoon ride on the same hull as the Avalanche and are 23' boats
Old     (hdrew)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-27-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Sanger!
Old    luv2wake2            08-30-2005, 5:01 AM Reply   
I found out its not worth it to get beat up in rough water and waste gas. So why would I want a boat that does good in rough water??? My Malibu will go through rough water, just have to slow down, so its doesn't take a beating.
Old    stillstandin            08-30-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
If you dont mind the low freeboard look, Sanger V215, or V230, nothing else will come close. I demoed A LOT of boats. Both of these dominated in rough water
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-30-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I don't think you will have a problem with any wakeboard boat (if you know how to drive). Don't worry about getting swamped. On the other hand, (no flames please) no wakeboard boat is going to ride as smoothly as your SeaRay in rough water. We have a 21' SeaRay and a 21' Supra Launch. The SeaRay rides MUCH smoother in waves due to the deep V hull. We don't take the Launch out on weekends during the day because it will rattle our heads loose in the rough water. In order to produce a great wake, a good wakeboard boat will not have a deep V. It's all a trade off. What do you want most?
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
Sanger... all the way! That is the same reason we got ours over the others.
Old    bronco991            08-30-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Tige 24ve, That boat just cuts right through everything, its amazing
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-31-2005, 5:40 AM Reply   
I love my MC X2 but is sucks in chop and rough water. It beats the hell out of you.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-31-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Love our 24V and we are on a big lake that is like the ocean on the weekends.