Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hey all, I figure that I can, but not sure. It fell off. just curious.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       08-30-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
yes u can run with out it but dont back up then shut it off. if u back up go foward again so it gets all the water out.
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
ohh yeah I did'nt really think about backing up that much. that makes sense. thanks
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Yes, but get it replaced soon. There is a remote chance that you could get water back up into the engine. It would be like michael said, you'd either have to back up quickly and then shut the motor off or come to a quick stop and kill the engine. If water does get to the hot engine, it will destroy it pretty fast.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-30-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
When water is forced back up into an engine it is called "Hydrolock" It will go past the open valves and onto the top of the piston. First it is cold, but worse yet when teh piston raises it will for sure break valves, and likely the connecting or or piston skirt. It will ruin your engine and will nto be covered under warranty. I wouldnt run it without one and just count myself lucky it didnt happen already.
Rick
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
How would the water get forced that far up into the engine? Are you saying the only thing preventing this on boats is that piece of rubber?
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
We've run without flaps on the tique for 2 seasons, No problems. If the engine is running, your not going to force water past the exh. If the engine stalled and you were hard in reverse, it might get there. Only issues I've had is with bird's nest in the pipes while on the lift. They make all kinds of chrome tips and turndowns, I'm pretty sure they don't make a flap for those.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-30-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
My flap fell of my Supersport. I noticed when my boat started smoke a little more once we planed. I attributed it cold water hitting some hot parts.

It's like a $20 piece that they should have a most marinas.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/exhuast.html

scroll down to the tips and you will notice some have flaps and some don't all the ones that are used on ski boats have flaps as they are under the waterline
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
NOT RECOMMENDED, THE FLAP IS WHAT KEEPS WATER LIKE FROM WAVES FROM FORCING ITS WAY UP IN YOUR ENGINE, SUCK WATER IN WHEN THE MOTORS OFF FROM A WAVE GOING BY AND YOULL DESTRO THAT MOTOR. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-30-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Actually it usually happens like this:
You slam into reverse hard around a dock, launch or something and then return to neutral. The exhaust pressure backs and the force of the water goes up the mufflers. Notice there is quite a rise to the exhaust manifolds so it takes alot of force to actually get in the engine but it does happen. The flaps are really for when the engine is not running at all. I have made my own replacements for years for just a few dollars a small sheet of rubber will make many.
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. Im going to replace it, but i thought i would go out before the part arrived.