Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
so it looks like my boat is going to be kept on a moor for most of the summer. supposedly the cover leaks a bit so i think i am going to spray it down with teflon or something then see how it works. the boat has an auto bilge and no leaks. should i be worried about installing another battery? any suggestions for locking the boat to the moor? and any suggestions about mooring in general?

Thanks
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-06-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I would install another battery because if it is an inboard there will be a leak around the shaft by design. I would also look into a solar trickle charger. My boat has one it keeps the battery fully charged all the time.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-06-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
This might be my only option as well so thanks for your responses.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
would that auto bilge use that much battery assuming the cover repels most of the rain water? if i did add another battery, can i just add it in series or should i get a perko switch? if i get the switch, i would want it on "all" when it is moored which means it would have to be on "all" while running to charge both of them, right? if so, will the switch serve any purpose in this case?
Old    sdarcy74            04-23-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
On a mooring question also has anybody any advice on best course of action on mooring/ storage of boat in my following situation. 00 Malibu VLX garage too small to fit boat but have a slip/jetty at back of the house in brackish water. Option 1 Antifoul bottom of boat and store at rear of house, cheapest and most convenient option. Option 2 Store boat in public storage more expensive and launch/trailering disadvantage. Option 3 drop 2.5k-5k and get boat lift Very expensive option. Appreciate feedback. To consider also my only current cover is the trailer cover which is not too effective as a cover and a rankin cover seems to run at about $700. Also anybody have any idea on the annodes to prevent galvanic corossion on the bu VLX I can't seem to find them.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-24-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
If you have a well fitted cover then one battery will be fine as long as the both the battery is in good condition and the shaft/rudder/through hull fittings are in good order (Not leaking).

I used to keep my mastercraft moored in saltwater and it would only take on say a quart of water over a week, not even enough to turn the autobilge on.

The solar charger is a good idea. I have one but make sure you get a decent one. The cheap ones have such a low output they relly are not worth it.

You'll most likely want to get some anodes for you shaft and rudder although I never bothered and didn't see any damage.

As far as antifouling you can either pull it out every few weeks and clean it or antifoul and leave it in all year. I used to pull mine out every few weeks and give it a scrub.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
Shane I know you made mention of it, Ian is a lift not an option? If you do some searching you should be able to pick up a lift for 1-2k I would think, We got a Shoremaster lift for somewhere around 1200.00 at the end of last season. I get scared leaving it on there much less mooring. You can also chain the lift up for security if that's a worry as well.