Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-28-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I am currently in the market for an all mountain full suspension bike. I am currently looking at a 2006 Rocky mountain Slayer 30 and a 2007 Jamis Dakar XAM1.0. They seem to be fairly similar bike in components, design and intended use. The biggest difference is the fork and rear shock. The RM has a Marzocchi Drop Off 150mm and the Jamis has a Fox 32 Float RL 140mm. The reviews on MTBR seem to completely favor the Fox fork. It has a lockout which the MARZ doesn't have I think and overall is easier to adjust. Now for the rear shock. The RM has a Fox float rp3 and the jamis has a fox DHX air 3.0. the reviews on mtbr show the float being a much better shock. Anyways as I said other than that the 2 bikes are very similar. Both have XT rear der. and LX cranks. The RM has deore shifters and an LX front der. The Jamis has LX rapid fire shifters and deore front der. Both have the same Hayes HFX 9 hydraulic brakes and levers. The RM is listed on craigslist for 850 and the Jamis for 1000. If I can get the Jamis within a $100 of the RM I think I am leaning that way because of the better fork and it is a year newer. Other bikes I am considering are Specialized Enduro's, Norco Fluid, Specialized Pitch, Giant Reign, etc..

What do you guys think?

And if any of you Sacramento or SF guys know of any similar bikes in the 700-1000 range let me know. I am going to be down in Reno, Tahoe and Lake Almanor Next week and may be able to get someone to bring it out to me from SF or Sac.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-28-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
My dad has a rocky mountain but not the slayer its the cross country bike and its a super nice bike. I have the specialized enduro and im really happy with it. Its kind of a tank but it will handle anything. Cant remember all my components but i have the RL in the front and the dhx 5 in the rear. the lockout on the RL is really nice for climbing. I do wish the rear locked out but I'm really happy with both shocks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-28-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps912 View Post
My dad has a rocky mountain but not the slayer its the cross country bike and its a super nice bike. I have the specialized enduro and im really happy with it. Its kind of a tank but it will handle anything. Cant remember all my components but i have the RL in the front and the dhx 5 in the rear. the lockout on the RL is really nice for climbing. I do wish the rear locked out but I'm really happy with both shocks.
Is the DHX an air shock that can be pumped up? I am heavier than your average mountain biker and need something I can adjust. Also, do you adjust the RL with air or springs?
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-28-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Norco Fluid 2 im looking to sell. Scratches from use but its not beat. Has an x fusion rear air shock, other than that its stock. Id be happy with $500 for it. Shoot me an email if youre interested
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-28-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
The DHX is an air shock that you can pump up. You can also adjust the rebound so it doesn't spring back as quick. I haven't played with that feature though. I don't mess with the front at all accept to lock it out.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
OK I'm mainly just a road rider, BUT after doing an adventure race a few weeks ago and my old hardtail beating me up I decided to go "just look" at a few new mtn bikes! Welp one followed me home! Dammit I gotta stay away from the bike shops. First a Cannondale Caad9 and now the Gary Fisher X Caliber 29'er! This is getting expensive...

I was going to go Full suspension but in the end the cost and it was such a change from a hardtail with no shock was simply too big of a change for me. After riding the Specialized Epic and Rockhopper Expert and the Gary Fisher RumbleFish, X Caliber and a few Niners I loved the feel of the 29'ers and especially the X Caliber. The Fox front shock is such a huge improvement over the older Fox shocks, components were decent, x9 and x7 SRam mixed with a bit of Shimano Deore it was a good mix at a good price! Plus the geometry and handling of the Fisher was a bit better than the Specialized in the 29ers!

Now after a few shakedown rides on the 29'er I'll never go back to a 26 mountain bike!

Keep an eye on ebay and CL... Not a ton of 29'ers but lots of nice bikes nonetheless!

BTW here's the new dirt ride in the stable!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
I just moved from Minnesota to Arizona and had been itching to get a mountain bike, especially in a terrain like the one Arizona has to offer. Anyhow, after shopping online for months and going crazy, I hit up a couple of shops and left the shop a mile down the road from me as a last resort. I was set on a Trek bike, almost got sold on a Cannondale and thought I'd hit up the shop I left for last. I ended up picking up a 2009 Giant Trance X3. The dudes at the shop were so dope and I test rode a dozen bikes. After a long lecture on components, bike brands and trails, I took it home. Also, the shop guys (hardcore AZ mountain bikers) were so chill, and knew I just moved here that they are letting me tag along their biking trips to their favorite and most infamous trails! I am soooo stoked! I am completely new to the sport and already addicted!
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Well, I ended up buying that Jamis. I got the guy down to 850 and he gave me an extra set of brand new tires. I have already taken it to the shop and am having a new cassette, rear derailleur, housings and probably a chain installed. I am also picking up some new platform pedals. All in all I will probably have a total of $1000 into the bike but I think that is a fairly solid deal for the components on the bike. It would of been near impossible to find that new of a bike with an XT rear, Fox air rear shock and fox float RL 140MM fork for anywhere under $1000. The only bad thing I have heard is that the hubs aren't the best. The reviews of the bike were great.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...+1.0&Type=bike

I will get to try it out down around Lake Almanor is about a week.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-02-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
I have a Jamis road bike (Xenith SL) and love it. Way under-rated brand.