Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (spunnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
My 2 year old girl is terrified when I just mention going out on the boat, last couple of times she pretty much cried the whole time out. Is this going to last. I don't want to force her to go if she doesn't want to go, so I don't know how I'm going to ease her into it.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-22-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
it may just be a phase. the first time i went on the lake i loved it. then for a short time i hated it (i dont know what i was thinking at that age). but i love it today
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-22-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Put her in the boat when it is at home on the trailer, play with the radio, pretend to drive, etc. Put some toys/blanket in the boat and spend a little time with her just floating around in the water. Ddo what you can to make her feel comfortable in a new setting, in time she will be just fine. My daughter cried her first time and crawled up under the driver's feet for hours her second---love the boat now. Good luck!
Old    kidrik            07-22-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
She's just pissed you won't let her ride!

Seriously, I think you'll be fine. I also think it's just a phase (there's ALWAYS a "phase") and by this time next year, she may be crying if you DON'T take her out!

Hang in there, it will all balance out!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
i remember thumbing a ride with a family that had a young boy that was hating being on the boat, but as soon as i got out in the water and started jumpin and flipin and stuff he piped down and even had a big smile. "do another flip" he said again and again.

the rest of the family was in the very earliest stages of beginners, so he thought my intermediate (maybe pushing boarderline advanced, depending on your outlook) riding was the koolest thing ever!

BUT i definately DO like the idea above about letting them play in the trailered boat.

ALSO, when it comes time to put the kid(s) on the water, have someone hang onto the rope. don't loop the rope on the tower or any other hitch. Kids that age don't know the idea of "letting go (of the rope)" so someone else in the boat will have to release the rope when the kid falls or the tube flips or something. the kids are light enough at an early age and go at slower speeds that it is not hard to hang on.... unless you end up with a kid that just gos at it right of the bat and is kinda a die hard then you won't need to do this
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
Ease her in with SMALL Doses of boat time. I was never a big fan of taking my kids on the boat when they were less than 4 or 5 because they really do not have the ability to sit in a small space (and a boat is a very small area) for any length of time unless of course they are napping. If we did take them, it was for really short trips, less than 2 hours. An all day marathon boat outings can almost be like torture from their vantage point.

The trailered boat thing might desenitize your daughter but I might think about a trip to Grandmas or getting a babysitter before you plan an all day outing on the water. As they age and can participate more, the boating will be much more enjoyable for your daughter and you as well. Actually now that I think about it, as soon as my kids could work those game boys, then the time on the boat could be easily extended.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-23-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
My 4 year old daughter hated the boat at 2 years old but loves it now. My 2 year old son also hated the boat until we brought the bubble gun on board for or last outing. That was the first time he really had fun on the water. The bubble gun just sort of broke the ice and made him comfortable. After that, he enjoyed things he usually hated like getting in the water or "driving" the boat while we're anchored. He only played with the gun for about 10 minutes.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
That's rough Kevbo. I would give her a few months and try again. You know how they go through phases. As mentioned above. I would hang out in the boat with her on the trailer. Then maybe spend some time hanging out at the dock. But, you'll probably have to wait a while now.

Have you tried bringing other kids to keep her occupied?
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
Could it be a life jacket issue? Is she protesting having to keep it on the whole time she's on the boat? It might help in addition to spending time on the boat when it's not in the water to have her wear the life jacket around the house and slowly work up to having it on for extended periods of time. Also, I bribed the kids with favorite snacks they could only eat when they were on the boat, so it was a treat.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
let her play in it like everybody says. my 4 year old has been on a boat since he was 3 months never had an issue. My daughter who is 1 1/2 like wise but never wanted to be on the boat. until we started to let her play in it in the garage. swimming lessons with the vest or just running around the house with it on will help her get comfortable with that.. I felt like a dork for the 2 days I wore mine around the house and she quickly put her on because wanted to be like daddy. They both love spending ALL day on the boat at the lake.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-24-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Id say its a phase of being so young. I don't have kids, but my mom told me that as kids, i didnt mind being on the boat, and my brother hated it (crying, temper tantrums etc.) but now, 20 some years later, he can't get enough of boats. imo, its a phase
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-24-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
I got my daughter on the boat the first time when she was only 3 weeks old and my wife and I have been on boats since we were about a month old so boating was bread right into her. We were lucky I guess but what others have said, playing in the boat at home, bringing toys, other kids are great things. You have to take yourself down to their level to understand them. You might try finding a beach to post up at and let the kids play for a while halfway through the day.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-24-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
Virtual boating works for us. When the boat is parked in the garage, she is allowed to play in it, which is normally sitting in the driver's seat turning the steering wheel back and forth. She likes to play with the radio and horn as well, but she loves to go out on the boat. A few weeks ago, she woke up and told me that she wanted to ski that day, and she wanted to go first. So, we put her on the neighbor's ski skimmer, and she proceeded to crash, and burn, but she tried it again. Proud moments for sure. She just turned three, and loves "her" X Star. I also let her steer the boat while we idle around. Does your daughter like water? Try anchoring the boat and playing some games with her in the water. It works for us.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
my little one fought it at first as well. getting her in the boat on land was a good trick. but the clincher was getting another little girl her same age to come out and she had mad crazy fun and my daughter could not be out done so she started to have fun and now she loves to be on the boat. hang in there she will come around.Uploadfirst time on the kneeboard.that first big smile from behind the boat will melt you so be warned.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-24-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
2 year olds are very unpredictable....my neice loves the boat more than anything, she says "Nick when I get bigger I wakeboard just like you" but every now and then she'll say "i hate the boat I dont wanna go!" But once were out ther blasting her fav disney songs on the tower speakers shes happy again...
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-24-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
+4 play in the boat, My 22 month old sees a boat now anywhere ,even going by a lake & all you hear now is " boat-boat -boat' yes we see the boat!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-25-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
You better get her over it if she wants to turn Pro, 3 is too old to start lessons!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-25-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
I have the opposite problem. I can't get her out of the boat once she's in. Here's Cathy Williams teaching my 2 year old how to drive.

Upload
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2008, 12:16 AM Reply   
Uploadyeah meeting cathy gets them stoaked for sure! dad didnt mind it either.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that your daughter does not like the boat. I'm sure its just a faze. I can't say that I have the same problem. I can't keep my 2 year old off the water. Everything is "my boat" & "I wakeboard"
UploadUpload
Old     (sorg67)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-27-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
My kids did not like the boat at that age either and now wakeboarding is their favorite activity. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the boat trips shorter when they were younger.