Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have a Pioneer GM3000T amp that I wanted to use to power my sub. I've been doing some reading and found that a class D amp is best for subs. How do I know what class my amp is? Not sure if I should sell this one and buy something more specific for the sub. I am going with a 4 channel MTX amp to power the 4 speakers in the boat ... no tower speakers.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I think it's a class A/B because it is two channels. I cannot find any web site that has specs. What kind of sub are you running?(size, ohm, rating?) This amp will only put out 100watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 2 ohms. I know you said you don't have tower speakers but this amp would be better saved for running 1 pair of tower speakers bridged, unless you are running a very small sub.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Jason. I don't know what the sub is yet. I have to pull it from the boat. I'm guessing it's not that big. I'll let you know what it is when I get it out. Thanks for all your help.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
I just pulled the sub out and it's a very old looking beat up looking Kick subtronic s10c.
Does anyone know the specs on this sub? should I keep it or buy something new?
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-10-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
Ronia,

The amp is still listed on the older products section on the pioneerelectronics.com website under car amps, older models.
Jasons specs are pretty much right on.

Never heard of the sub, sorry.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
Gently push the speaker cone in and out, if you can feel any scraping (push evenly both sides) then the sub is toast. If it's wasted, you can get another 10" really cheap (ebay). If not, it'll work and that amp will power a small sub just fine. I have a 10" 125 watt sub in a good sealed enclosure and it sounds great. If you've got a decent .75 to 1.2 ft/sq enclosure you're good 2 go. Make sure you set the amp crossover to 120hz or less, if the amp doesn't have one, use an external crossover inline with the rca's before the amp, also cheap. Don't run it without some kind of crossover blocking highs to the sub, it won't hurt it but it will sound like poopie.
You don't need class D to power a sub, that amp is fo sho class a/b anyway. From your posts, it sounds like you are just trying to put together a decent cheap system for the summer, that amp and a small sub is what you want.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 5:28 AM Reply   
Ronia,
the sub is a Kicker Solobaric S10c. The link for the manual on your sub is here.
http://www.kicker.com/05/tech-support/manuals/manuals/Solo-Baric%20-%20C-%20Series%20Subwoofers.pdf
Your sub could be a 2,4,or 8 ohm sub. You will have to take an ohm meter to the leads on it to find out what ohm it is. It also says it will handle 350-450 watts. If you sub is a 2 ohm sub the pioneer amp you want to use will work but be a little underpowered for that sub. Kickers like lots of power. If it is a 4 or 8 ohm sub I would highly suggest another amp. Given that it was installed as a single sub, I would guess it is a 2 ohm sub.
Hope this helps.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Psyclone,

I hooked the sub up to a home system and I felt it moving so I'm guessing that it works. The enclosure i took it out of was about 2ft x 1ft (it wasn't very deep) -- If i went with a new sub, how powerful should it be?

Jason,
If I wanted a more powerful amp for this sub ... what should I be looking for? maybe I can find something used on ebay.

Thanks again guys.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
I also forgot to mention that the foam around the outside of the sub seems to be rotted away in a lot of spots. I'll take some pics tonight of the sub and the box. I think I'll have to end up getting a new sub and enclosure.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
An amp such as these would be more than enough
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5756787 773&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79825&item=5757952 210&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79829&item=5758546 061&rd=1

These all would be great for a 2 ohm sub and work fine with a 4 ohm sub. If it is an 8 ohm sub I would really suggest getting a different sub. But you won't know until you test it. Also is it a dual voice coil sub? Meaning are there 2 or 4 connectors on the back.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
There are only two connectors on the back, positive and negative. is that what you mean?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
if i look for a new sub, what RMS should I be looking at? my speakers are rated at 50rms
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
what does a dual voice coil sub do?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
It has two connectors which means its a single voice coil. All dual voice coil subs allow you to do is run them at a smaller or larger ohm load than a single and they have more control than a single. For example a 4 ohm two voice coil sub can be run at 2 ohms by running the two coils in parallel. Find a sub that is in the 300-600 watt range that is a two ohm voice coil, but before you buy a new one check what ohm rating your current one is.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
i sent you an email @ hotmail