Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    crollg            03-10-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Am getting a new 2004 MC X2. Boat has the stock Clarion head unit and speakers. Also has the amplifier and 10" sub which the dealer says are Clarion also. Looking at the clarion website I think the boat has either the four channel APX480M Clarion amp or the two channel APX280M amp. Can anyone confirm which amp the boat has. I want to install tower speakers (Skylon Defcon III's) and need to know if I need another amp.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
George ~ my best friend has an 04 X2 and the stock amps are either 400w 4 channel or 200w 2 channel. I would leave your stock set up on that amp and get a new one for the Defon III's. Check to see what the RMS rating on the Defons are and get a amp to power them.
Old     (cwb121)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-10-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
If the boat has just interior speakers they are all ran off a 400wx2. if there are tower speakers too there is also a 200wx2 amp running the tower speakers.
Old    crollg            03-10-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
I have learned some more. My understanding is that the four stock boat speakers are run off the Clarion head unit (50W x 4 channels) The sub is run off a Clarion 4/3/2 APX400.4M amplifier. The amp is approximately 400W for 2 ohm or 200 W for 4 ohm speakers (I think this is correct). The setup without adding another amp is to run the sub with the 3 output setup, i.e. 200W for the sub and 100W for each side of the tower speakers. This assumes all speakers are 2 ohm (not sure of this).

My other option would be to buy a separate 200W-300W amp for the sub and run the tower speakers off the stock 400W four channel amp.

Any suggestions on

a)do I need the extra amp given approx 600W total power for the system but only 200W to the sub,

b)how hard would it be to add the extra amp and power the tower speakers with the stock amp?

c) if this is something I should let a professional do. I are a engineer, which means I can screw any simple thing up.

Thanks

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
George, it really depends on what your goals and expectations are for the system. If you want to send some sound back to the rider, but don't want to break the bank, making use of the stock amplifier will do the job.

I'm not familiar enough with the stock system on your boat to know exactly how everything is setup, but from your posts, I highly doubt the stock sub is run off of the 4 channel amplifier. With only one sub in the boat, that would require it to be a Dual Voice Coil (DVC), and the Clarion marine sub used in Mastercraft's does not fit the bill.

Also, be careful about the power output you're quoting. It looks like the APX480M has a continuous power rating of 80W x 4 @ 4Ohms. Using the front two channels to power the Deafcon Reference IIIs means each speaker will get approx. 115W @ 2 Ohms. That's under powering the speakers quite a bit, and I don't think you'll fully appreciate what they're capable of.

I would recommend picking up a small 2 channel amp that can put out 200-250W into 2 channels @ 2 Ohms. Use that amp for the Deafcon's and run the rest of the system how it is (or run the sub off the rear channels of your Clarion amp, and run the four boat speakers off the front channels). The TRU T-2.100 would be an excellent choice in this application:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/tru_technology_amplifier/tru_technology_t_2_100

You'll be MUCH happier with the sound quality, and you'll really get the most out of your system. Adding a second amp is not a huge undertaking, but if your time is valuable, take it to your local car audio shop and have them do the job for you.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Get the PPI 4125 it has 1000w or RMS in the 2 ohms and 500 in 4 ohms this will do it and it's also 1\2 the price of the TRU T-2.100.
Old    tea_boy            03-12-2005, 3:58 AM Reply   
Worth checking out mymastercraft.com. There is a post in the Recalls and Service Bulletins about a programming change for you head unit when equipping with subwoofers and/or tower speakers.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Big Ed,

The Tru T-2.100 sells for $539 considering the reward points (no tax, free shipping). Is it possible to buy a brand new factory sealed PPI 4125 for $270 including sales tax?

I believe that the PPI 4125 has been discontinued, that may explain the clearance pricing. The 4125 is a 4 channel amp so we are comparing apples and oranges here. You can't get 500 watts/channel bridged at 2 ohms (bridged it is only stable to 4 ohm), so you would get 250 watts/channel X 4 at 2 ohm. Still a very nice amp. You could run the boat speakers on the the other two channels.

A better comparison would be the PPI DCX 500.2. This is a stereo amp that puts out 250 watts/channel at 2 ohm. This amp typically sells for around $390 so it is $150 lower cost than the Tru amp but remember that the Tru amps are way over built, made in USA, and are winning most of the car audio competitions right now.

Wakeside is planning on offering two lines of amps; Tru for competition grade and we are currently in the selection process for a high value, high quality line for a better price-point for those who can't afford the price of a Tru amp.

PrecisionPower (PPI) looks like a very good line.

Mike