Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-27-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Anyone know the details - news said he collided with "something" but was very vague...
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
it was at old river bridge. We were coming back in from a blown out day and came across the scene. There was a couple sherrif boats a coast guard boat and hella sherriff and CHP cars. They had the bride closed off to traffic nad had the ambulances. We could see the waverunner pulled up on the levee. Then a little while later we saw the sherrifs towing it in. It was a bad feeling when we rolled up. I am surprised more people dont get hurt about 200 yards past the scene we saw a waverunner with a girl sitting on the back backwards and the guy was just driving in circles trying to throw her off, he did and almost ran her over. Its amazing how dumb some people are. If i had to guess the person ran into the levee or bridge, caus there were no other boats
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Another one goes down in the delta. when is the world gonna wake up, these things do not belong on delta sloughs. They have a place, just not on the delta. Take it to the lakes where you have nothing to run into. My thoughts go out to the families involved.
Old     (c_cote)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-27-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
On Tuesday of last week a man was sucked under a boat and vanished. The wife claimed that he just disappeared under the boat and he was wearing a life vest. they are still looking for the body.

Lake Burton GA
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
They literally closed the bridge when I was 1/2 way across so the lifeflight chopper could land on the north side. It looked like it would be a while, so I shut off the car, and walked down the bridge to take a look. I wish I had not...

There was a Mastercraft moored to the north most bridge abutment, and the sheriff was taking a statement from the people on that boat (some 7-10 year old kids tubing..and what looked like the father...about 35). They must have been one of the closest to witnessing what actually happened. Up against/in the tules under the north edge of the bridge there were TWO unattended jet-skis. One was a blue stand up that looked to have no damage that I could see. The other ski was what looked like a brand spanking new 3 seater...silver/grey..Yamaha I think. The fairing in front of the bars was all smashed/ripped off. There was blood all over the seat...and the left footwell was was filled with blood or very bloody water. That was disturbing.

The fatality was under a sheet on the north shore. They loaded the serious into the chopper and it took off. I heard from a photog/press guy that there was a 3rd injury in an ambulance..

Funny that no news stories mention the 2nd ski. They may be trying to avoid influencing witnesses with any news.

Based on the damage on the skis, my guess is it was a head on right under the bridge with someone not following the road rules and poor visibility. The guy on the 3 seater probably chopped the throttle at the last second, his nose dropped, and the stand up ramped up the front of the 3 seater impacting the driver full force. If he had gunned it, the stand up guy would probably be dead, and the two on the 3 seater would be OK. I don't think the 3 seater hit a fixed object. The hull/nose was intact.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
Ya we saw a guy with a rashguard and life vest talking to a sheriff. So was prob the guy on the standup. The MC was gone already
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2008, 12:14 AM Reply   
this is just fuel for the fire for them to add more 5 mph/ no tow zones.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 12:28 AM Reply   
How about that you need to pass a safety test and get an operators license. Can I get a hell yeah?!!
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2008, 12:59 AM Reply   
Jonny stupid people still get drivers licenses..................
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-28-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
I think the operators license is a great idea, a lot of the people I see riding them look like they've never been out of their house before. That would eliminate the rentals and the casual friend taking it out for a spin.
Old    walt            07-28-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Jonny WakeLV,

Hell yeah !!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-28-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
From the SJ Merc:

"A Discovery Bay man died Sunday when the personal water craft he was riding struck something, killing 23-year-old Jeffrey Rinne.
The seriously injured woman who was with him was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.
The accident was reported about 4:30 p.m. and occurred in Old River Sough and Highway 4, just east of Discovery Bay, said Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jimmy Lee.
It was possible that the two hit a bridge support, he said. He asked that anyone who may have seen the accident call the Sheriff's Office at 925-427-8507."
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_10017023
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-28-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
This is tragic, two people killed on consecutive weekends. Something does need to happen. During the whole ski ban public debate it was pointed out that several of the fatalities were jet ski related - not waterski or wakeboarding. Add these two fatalities to the fatality last year just after the ski ban went into affect.

It sucks to regulate what people can do, but there is so much boat traffic and narrow channels on the delta that we do need more order. Perhaps something like a right and left hand side of the road. Perhaps this would prevent jetskis (and other boats) from making sudden turns and create more order to the flow of traffic. It might even prevent the dredded power turns that not only mess up the water, but are very dangerous in the narrow waterways.

My heart goes out to the families impacted!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Wow, unreal. I can't believe back to back jetski fatalities on consecutive weekends. Sad.

We were just talking this weekend about jetski's not belonging on the delta. They're so much fun on the lakes, but people are just not "heads up" enough to be riding them in the delta congestion.

I'm not for banning any type of watersports because I think it just opens the doors for more bans, but there needs to be a watersports safety class or a license required.

Three deaths on the south end of the delta this year. Bad news.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
I was out at the river this past weekend (Needles, CA/AZ area). I can't tell you how many jet skiers there were that had no idea you or another boat was behind them. They just drift off left or right without so much as even glancing to see what's behind them. Or worse yet, they crank a 90 right in front of someone. I was seriously just waiting until someone turned into us. That seems like the most common thing. These people think they are the only ones on the water or are just ignorant and just turn right into people! I just don't get it. Heard of many, many cases of this happening at the river.

Sucks to hear of another death. Very sad.

(Message edited by wakerider42 on July 28, 2008)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-28-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
on saturday at the delta, a stand up jetskier was following me jumping my " Epic Wakes". well his skill level wasnt there or my wake wss to big , but as he landed , he lost control and ended up in the tullies. luckliy there wasnt a levee there!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
We almost watched a guy on a waverunner kill himself yesterday as we were on the slough between ski beach and Union Point. We were anchored off the side waiting for the wind to die down and we had 5 girls laying across the V-drive getting some sun. This guy comes tearing around the corner on his waverunner and sees the girls and keeps hauling ass while turning his head backwards staring at the girls, and was heading right toward a VLX towing a rider. He finally looked forward and turned out of the way of the boat. Near head on collision.

(Message edited by norcalbordr on July 28, 2008)
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Jet Ski's should be banded on the Delta, We where out Yesterday by Ryder Island around 4:30P wakesurfing. My wife was driving pulling our daughter and I was on the back, I saw this Jet ski pulling a tube with 2 kids cutting across our wake about 100-150 ft behinde, made me a little worried but they back a little, but insted of just cutting across he (older male) came streight up behinde our boat with'n 20ft of my daughter and then cut across our wake. I was Pissed!!! We had a Exchange of words and I was ready to kick some ASS but he pulled away. We stopped wakesurfing and will never go out on the weekend again. What was crazy is that the Driver had no Idea what he was doing wrong and wanted to argue. I feel that Everyone that Ownes or rents a watercraft should be required to take a safety course and get a cert, This needs to be a Law.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Jonny,
Ditto the safety test and license.. I vote for that for all boats/or PWC's.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Last week my friend and I were out and were pretty much the only ones. My friend was pulling me. I usually try and keep an eye out for PWC's but at the time I wasn't. I feel, and came up from underwater and a PWC was jumping our wake right beside me. He was literally 7-10 ft. from me! I am so over Jet-Ski's. They cause more deaths than anything else on our lake. I am all for them as long as people operate them correctly.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Hey fellas...easy on the talk about a jet ski ban. Talk licensing all you want, but not bans.

Some of us on the delta use them to hit sliders or wakeskate. You might some day too.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-28-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
i dont think a ban is totally necessary but i think the "boys" should pay more attention to whats goin on out here. everyone who operates any sort of watercraft should have to pass the test and if any of you have taken the test its not exactly easy.

its time to do something. maybe its something that we as a community should take into our own hands and force the issue.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
This isn't likely to be a feasible solution for the Delta but Bass Lake has designated areas for PWC users. I would not mind seeing something like this at all lakes.
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-28-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Last Friday afternoon we went out of Orwood. As soon as we left the 5 m.p.h. zone at the 90* corner the idiot show began. First some guy in a black and white Nautique (too busy for anymore details except for two dogs in bow) is getting ready to pull up his rider. Although the rider wasn't quite ready and we could have gone ahead I decided to wait and not disturb their water. The rider got but as they hit the first bend the boat is making a u turn, right on the corner, to get his rider who is now in the water. The best part is that in between them and me a Pwc was tailing them. Now he has to change direction and naturally a boat is coming in. Fortunately the boat was going slow. Had they had any type of speed it could have been ugly. Three hours later we are coming in on Indian Slough, and there is a PWC rider spinning some major donuts. I mean such tight circles it took some major skill. This guy was so focused on his donuts, there is probably a "cooler Pwc term" that he had no idea we are coming up on him. At the last second he sees us , cuts out, but didn't bother to look the other direction and a boat pulling a rider is coming up on him. I am not going to say that the boat barely missed him. But had the rider put his bindings on any faster ... My point is this, some blind luck saved some potential tragedies. I not for any more bans, but if any officials saw film of what we saw, riding in Indian Slough could not be defended. As for Pwc's and boaters, it is time for mandatory courses and licenses.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Does the "No riding" rule between Orwood and Indian slough count just during the weekends or is it during the week too? I know its only in effect between memorial weekend and Labor Day weekend but I wanna say weekday riding is allowed there. Either way, its stupid to ride in that area because of how busy it gets on weekends.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
This may have already been stated, but was there alcohol involved?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
no details. my guess is not likely just too much speed and ignorance.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
early last friday morning a jet ski ran into a stingray boat pulling three kids on a tube. Unfortunatley the driver of the jet ski was pushed under the boat and almost severed his head. Needless to say he died instantly. His wife was on another jet ski and got her leg chewed up. Not sure if she was trying to save her husband or what. Anyway all the kids were thrown from the tube and boat and all survived, due to the fact they had their life jackets on. The jet ski driver and boat driver were cousins. I believe they were being negligent, its about all I can see why this would have happened. They were eastern europeon ( russian?). Not saying this has anything to due with the accident. It was a sad last day of my vaca. Oh yea this happened at Banks Lake Resivoir in washington state. Grant County Police impounded the boat and jet ski's. Go to khq.com to see the video news broadcast. Numerous times I have had jet ski's trying to get close to my boat. I wish they all would start educating themselves on water safety. This was a very tragic day at the park for everyone. Please pray for these families, they were from the Federal Way, Tacoma areas.
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-28-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
This came out this afternoon. It names the victom and the woman who was injured - both local DB/Byron. I don't know them, but my heart is with their families.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_10023659?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Brutal.

I just don't see how you run into a bridge. Gotta be more to the story.
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-28-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
I should have added, no matter the cause My sympathy to all. J-Rod. Obviously anything we say is pure speculation, but the "don't see" in your post is true. I believe when we drive our boats we see, we constantly check the water in all directions. When we ride we kind of just focus on the wake, obviously looking ahead of the boat once in a while. I have never ridden a newer PWC, but it seems to me that too many PWC riders drive like we ride, not looking at the big picture. Just the next wake to jump . Plus I don"t think alot of people have any training on them, coupled with the crazy speed they can go. Well enough speculation, let's make sure some good [safety for all] comes out of these tragedies.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
I don't think is has to do with banning or not banning something. It has to do with the fact that Boaters/ Jet Skiers/ Skippers (as the radio ads say) need to be licensed. Class S for Skipper, Ha! Seriously though I lived on the Delta until very recently, and I have to say that is has been needed for years. Oregon already has a law in effect, how in the world is California behind the eight ball on this one, no offense Oregonians, I love the greenery! Seriously though, anyone know a congressman or congresswoman?
Old    mendo247            07-29-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Man another tragic story. All you Delta guys PLEASE be xtra careful, sounds like there is an accident waiting to happen around every corner.

IMO The main problem ive witnessed with Jetskis is their lack to steer when not under power. Ive witnessed it several times. People speeding along and then let off the gas and try to turn and the look of confusion when they cant turn. Ive seen one put up on shore and one bash into the side of a boat (luickly no one was hurt in either incident).
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-29-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
They had a report about the 2 recent PWC deaths at DBay on KGO Radio this afternoon along with an interview with the CCC Sheriff. The Sheriff says there is a bill before the state assembly right now that if passed will require some sort of class and/or licensing before one will be able to operate a PWC in state waters.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Hell YEah rich, great news!

(Message edited by wakeboardlasvegas on July 29, 2008)
Old     (memphisvol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-30-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
we regularly ride the TN river here, narrow with a lot of jetskiers...i keep saying its a recipe for disaster and we almost had one on Saturday.

girl in her mid teens riding a jetski flying up and down the river, is about 15 feet in front and to the right of me while i was towing a slalom skier; all of a sudden she turns hard left and rides straight across in front of me, missed her by about 10 feet

(Message edited by memphisvol on July 30, 2008)
Old     (memphisvol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-30-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
also like i said in the other thread I almost was run over by a jetskier and his 2 kids last year while learning to ride

he was following right behind our boat not paying attention, had to swerve to miss me

THEN HE DID IT AGAIN, yes i almost got hit twice by the same moron