Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
Looking for some feed back from the vast knowledge here on WakeWorld. Rocklin Water Sports is opening the doors in a couple days, just finishing stocking the shelves. What do you all want to see in a shop? We have boards, bindings, ropes/handles,Indos,vests,surf,Babes products,Boats(Epic,WakeCraft,SVFARA,Chopper). Also have UTV's by RUESCH.All products are priced for grand opening. We don't have clothing lines yet, still looking at brands. Is ther anything else you all want to see?

Thanks for any feedback,
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Congrat's and hope things go well for you. Opening any type of store in today economy isn't easy.

Customer Service will be the best part of your business as well as product awareness IMO.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-12-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
Set up a small rail jam...demo gear (if need be require a deposit which goes towards purchase)
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Customer Service and friendly knowledgeable staff. Would be the things I look for.
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-12-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
have plenty to pick from on the items that are cheaper to buy... most of my issue w/ shops in this are (using area as a broad term) is they don't have a lot to choose from... it's like you can get any handle you want as long as its one of three model from A-line... handles, ropes, and jackets are easy to pick up (and SELL vs bords bindings and botes)... have a good selection and lower inventory... see a lot of places w/ 20 of every size of one kind of jacket in every size from something that a pomeranian would have to suck in to get on to something incredible hulk could wear... get a few of each size and wide variety of styles... it will cost more to stock i know but you'll get more "hey that's pretty sweet" sales versus "i guess this is what you have" sales... obviously, i know its not possible to stock a buywake.com or and wakeside.com in an actual shop b/c of over head but i find it extremely frustrating to go to a shop to get something you really need and not even buy it b/c you dislike everything they have that much
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-12-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'd establish an online division and advertise on wakeworld!! GotRiver did that, it was a shop with a limited online store. Mix that with good customer service, lots of inner tubes and you are on your way.

Also sponsor my friend Candi, she's from Rocklin and a ripper.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-12-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
here are a few things I have seen in my years with dealing with retailers.

Get involved in local wake events. Either organize them yourself or be the main sponsor of the event. Find a way to tie the event in with customers having to visit your store or your website.

Give people another reason to come to the store. Put together an onsite wake movie premieres when a good new wake movie is released. I have seen his done very successfully in wake and surf shops and have done many myself.

Put together a "good" online store. This takes your customer reach from a 25 mile radius to 2000+ miles.

Customer service. The customer is always right, regardless. Some people might not agree but look at retailers like Nordstroms, they are exceptional.

Find another sport to push in the off season.

Good luck.....and try to get twice as much cash as your business plan tells you to start with.

(Message edited by nuckledragger on June 12, 2008)
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-12-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
For sure find another sport to push. I think the easiest transition is pushing Wakeboarding in the summer and Snowboarding in the winter. I think you HAVE to be a local fixture sponsoring events, or having little rail jams like said above. People have to see you, they have to know you, and most of all they have to trust you. I can find cheap stuff anywhere, but someone to make it right if something happens, or breaks, is what I want to see. Also do the little things well, customer service is overlooked in favor of price and I hate that. Most of us here have boats, so we know what its like to just throw away money , to me $5 cheaper on a vest isn't as important as GREAT customer service and someone I can trust. Boating is a friendly sport and everything around it needs to be the same way. I love being on the river and waiving to someone and them waiving back. Its not always about the money, but its always about trust and being treated right. Try to be a one stop shop if possible, and not meaning carry everything, but if I know I can come to you and ask for advice on who you know that does good tinting, or stereo, you are now and asset to me and earned my business. Trust me, I'm in Sales for a living, I live and breathe this stuff daily.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-12-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Congrats man on the shop man! Best of luck to ya! The things i'd look into doing, as mentioned above is have a limited internet store, the way i see it that increases your exposure, perhaps set up a referral program with some customers, i've found that in sales, people like recognition for bringing in somebody, that motivates them to spread the good word about your shop as well as the staff and products there. There is no better advertisement then word of mouth in my opinion. If i have a great experience at a shop, i recommend it to my buddies before anywhere else. Best of luck to ya'll, and please keep us updated! keep us posted on how everything goes! If you do start settin up stuff on the internet, let us know what the site is, because if i'm in the market for some new product, i'd definitely take a peek and see what ya'll got! best of luck to ya!