Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
-This is for a 350 merc 260hp, 89 DD sunsetter. Boat would not start, after spending a couple weekends messing with it(replaced fuel pump, among other things), the boat would not start and I took it to the shop. Well they rebuilt the carb and everything ran well...
-They called me later that day, and said it was missing a "wedge spacer" that went under the carb. The spacer is to keep the carb level, even though the top of the engine is not level. The wedge goes from a half inch to maybe an inch and a quarter.
-The boat runs fine with the wedge on it, HOWEVER the engine cover does not fit.

-Anyone with a mailbu in the pre 95 era, how does your setup look?

-My only idea is to raise the engine cover by 2 inches all the way around with a wood frame. What are my options. ANYBODY any ideas?

-Thanks a ton, this will be my project next weekend....
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-16-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
A picture would help a lot
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
What carb is on the boat. If it is a holley, make sure floats are set right. I would leave the spacer off and put jet extensions on the "rear" jets. The carb should work even if it is not truly level.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Here is a pic. Why would this spacer be taken off in the first place (unless to make the cover fit)?

The boat ran fine for 50 hours (since I have owned it).

Upload
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Ewing, what are the extensions? Thanks.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
take the engine spacer off unless it didnt run right with it off?
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
i don't know how the spacer would make a difference in how it runs unless there is a certain amount of exchange area between the intake manifold and the carb, because your engine is almost never going to be level when your on the lake.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
That's the reason for the tapered spacer......to make the carb as level as possible while engine is on an angle. With out the spacer, the gas in the rear bowl with be low on the metering block and may cause a lean condition.

Anyone ever had a 4x4, with a carb, run out of gas, stumble, miss, while ascending/descending a long hill?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-17-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
couple things. low profile flame arrestor would be an easy fix.

I have a spacer on mine, but its level. about an inch thick. and my carb sits at an angle. some carb angle is ok, but like tigemike said, too much and your floats won't match up, causing a stutter. Either you can address the spacer and jets in the carb, or go low profile arrestor.

boat ran for years without this tapered spacer, so theres a chance the rebuild fixed it and you could pull the spacer off. or just find a low profile arrestor to keep all changes where they are.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
AFAIK, that spacer is pretty common on boats with engines that are set at an angle. Carbs don't like high angles. In later years the engines were installed more parallel to the stringers and the transmission created the driveline angle. However, it may be different in that Bu....you might want to check out the malibu forum and see if you can get a pic of the intake/carb setup.

What flame arrestor do you have? Can you install a lower profile one?
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
My arrestor is the round one, I want to say 7inch dia by 2 inch height.

I think i need a good inch to clear the cover. How much smaller can I go with the height of the arrestor, and what would this affect?

Any other ideas? Thanks
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
Called mercruiser service, and he said the spacer should be on there. I am confused on why the cover wont fit unless the floor was messed with when they glassed it over. They might have put a different carb on the engine as well.

So guys help me out, if I leave the spacer on ( I am not sure if I can go with a flatter arrestor), how would you make the engine cover fit? Thanks.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
If you add a filler around the bottom of the cover would it cause problems with other things? Might be the cheapest option just carpet the filler so it matches the floor and call it a day. Best of luck
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Brandon- Yeah I think some sort of filler is my only option(should not cause any problems), I was thinking of carpeting (or vinyl?) some treated 2x4's, or would HDPE type of plastic be better?

I dont think I can get a vinyl or carpet that matches. I guess o-well.

Any other Ideas?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-20-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Jason. I had a similar problem. I just got some 4x1 peices of wood and extended the bottom of the cover. carpetted it and it looked awesome.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Rick. Do you happen to have any pics? Did you attach the wood to the cover, or the floor?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I have the exact same boat. And from my pictures it doesn't appear to have the spacer you described.

Upload
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
this one may be better.
Upload
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-21-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Jason,

I dont believe I have the spacer either. Here are a few pictures of my 89 Sunsetter.
Upload
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-21-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
Upload