Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                09-19-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
This may not really correspond to this but iM LOOKIN TO BUY A NEW iPod and I was wonerign if I could get ne suggestions. I use my electronics heavily, and I WANT SOMETHING RELIABLE UNder $275. Sry botu the caps
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-19-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
if you use your electronics heavily then dont buy an ipod. the batteries suck ass. even their latest generation of players cant hit 20 hours per charge. in a year or two under even moderate usage you will be down to around 10 hours of usage per charge. i know people whose batteries have only held 6 hours on a charge after one year of "heavy" usage.

anyways, do what you want. props to apple for being able to get inside everyone's head and successfully replace the word "mp3 player" with "ipod."
Old                09-19-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Ne suggestions Im sick of luggin aroudn a cd player... I was thinkin botu gettin the nano. I figure with it beign smaller it may be a little easier for me to keep around and maybe help me be lss destructive
Old                09-19-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
everyone i know who has an ipod has had to take them in to replace them or get them fixed because they are made so crappy. apple really needs to reconsider their product.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-20-2005, 12:12 AM Reply   
apple only needs to work on the battery issue. other than that i think ipods are great.

here are a couple links to check out w/ some information:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/4521-6532_7-5021434-3.html?tag=dir.temp
if you use itunes and wanna be hip and cool w/ your white headphones then get an ipod
if you dont care about itunes then i would check out the sony HD-5 player. its a 20 gig unit and it has a batter that lasts 40 hours. oh yeah, and the battery is removable so you can exchange it if it ever starts to wear down. two nice things about it is that if you rotate the player 90 degrees the screen will rotate so you can still read it. oh, and if you drop the player it will disengage the hard drive so no damage is done to it.

here is a link to the nano: http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_Nano__4GB__black_/4505-6490_7-31515640.html?tag=topprods
the editors that reviewed the nano found that it only played for around 15 hours per charge. if you use that "heavily," expect it to be around 10 hours per charge after youve used the player for a year.
Old                09-20-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
Do u know if you can scroll through the music liek u can on the iPod, and does it have the same sort of features?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2005, 4:48 AM Reply   
they can all scroll through music. and most players nowadays have the same set of features (equalizer, playlists, shuffle, etc).
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-21-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
My girlfriend's ipod took a swim for about 3 whole seconds a few weeks back. Do they have the same strip inside them that turns red when it it gets wet like all the cell phones do now?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-01-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
The iPod battery and output level is no longer an issue. You just have to get a head unit that is iPod ready. Complete control of you iPod (that can be stored in a compartment safely) and also will keep you iPod charged while using it.
I'm sure some are better than others but as an Audiobahn dealer I recently tried thier new iPod ready units and was quite pleased with all the features and ease of use for the price.
I'm going next to try the one with a USB port on it. Rip CD's and or up/down load direct from your PC or flash stick/card.
Whatever your opinion of iPod, fact is most of the head unit manufacturers are recognizing it as the leader and are now building units to be compatible.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
they are recognizing it as a leader because it is. apple owns somewhere near 3/4 of the mp3 player market.

ive said this before and i'll say it again: the apple marketing machine is second to none.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-03-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
I got a Nano a few weeks ago, and my biggest complaint is that it doesn't work with napster. I find it hard to believe that people could fill up 20 GB with music they own, much less 4.. My current play list of about 128 songs and two one hour long pod casts is only 1 GB...

It also scratches really easily, despite apple claiming that it's the same materials as all the others.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-04-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
I want the Nano but i doesn't hold near enough songs...so i bought a 20B iPOD color/photo..i love it and putting pictures in it is really awesome too!!
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-12-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
any body that bought larger iPods recently has got to be kicking themselves today... Apple's new iPod was released this morning and it's sweet.. Plays video, smaller, and 20 hr battery life...
Old                10-20-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
ipod is by far the best unit out there. I dare anybody to find a unit that is as well made and can do as many functions as an ipod. Sure it may not work with napster but there is no unit in the world that is totally compatibile with every type of format. the battery can be replace very easily and it is freakin awesome especially with the new ipods that can now handle video.
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-23-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Can you buy the new iPods anywhere yet?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
what can the ipod do that others cant? run out of battery quickly? seriously. i'd like to know. and the ipods arent made any better than any other player. hell, apple even admitted that they used cheap materials on the ipod nano to keep the cost down (but also that they were the same materials used on the other ipods?). hence the "scratches easily" complaint that is oh-so-common among nano owners.

apple marketing dep't: 1
nathan stites: 0
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-25-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yeah Travis,

They are shipping the new one currently, so if you have bought one in the last week or so, you have the new video pod. Thinking of upgrading?

Eric