Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
I promised I would do a quick review of the SWELL system on my new boat since many have not gotten to try it. We got out 2 times this past week and just did some quick sets to make sure things are working and start playing with the wave to dial it in. I am VERY happy so far and we have just done a few configurations..... Here is what we have done and how it was weighted. Some pics as well.

Boat and Motor - SC350 with ACME 1235 prop

Water temps was 50 degrees.... Brr.....

People in boat - Both times we went out we had roughly 3-5 adults in the boat while person is surfing. Most of the time we had them sit on the side we surf, but comfortably and not imperative, but it did make the wake bigger and nicer. You could weight it evenly, but it is better with a bit more weight on that side so we moved passengers over. Boat ends up listing just a bit if you look at the pic of the boat in the water. Moving a passenger or two to the front of the boat definitely lengthened the wave also.

Ballast config - Full stock ballast + the Flex plug and play ballast full. Swapped the rear bags to 750's

Lead - Had 300 lbs in lead and we adjusted it around the boat. Still going to adjust this more, but in the pic it was even distributed in the back. I have another 150 lbs of lead at home and I plan to add it to the front of the boat for the next outing to try and make up for the person we had up there.

Speed - We ran between 10.6-11 MPH

Wake plate - Ran different configurations.... All the way down was longer and clean. All the way up was shorter and steeper. I liked it all the way up and speed about 11 mph. Both kept the wave very clean.

SWELL - Swell was set at SKIM. I see this as the way we will usually do it. Still need to do some sampling with the BARREL setting.

You could definitely weight the boat even and have a clean wake on both sides. Might need to throw a few extra bodies to the port side to make up for the prop rotation and drivers weight. We played with switching from side to side and it is real quick and works, but we did not do it behind the boat. I don't think we will really utilize this. The wave on the starboard side looked real big...... We never even tried throwing any weight over there, it just did it. I am sure cause prop rotation and extra driver weight. Soon enough we will have someone surf that side, but no doubt it will be easy to dial. We were more concerned with the port side. We still have some more tweaking to do to account for different configurations of people in the boat, but I have a real good idea. My main goal was to see how it does when you introduce more weight to it and if a surf system boat can do as well as listed. So far the answer is yes on throwing more weight. I was not expecting it to be as good or big as a non listed boat, but I have to say I am real happy and know we will even get happier as we test configurations. It is not going to be as big as my buddies 247 listed and a ton of weight, but so far I am way more impressed with it than the NSS or the Surfgate that I have seen. I will be fair and admit that those boats that I did see did not introduce as much extra weight as I did. More to come on all this as the weather shapes up. Rain and 50 degrees for a while...... Everything else worked great. I need to do some adjustments on the ballast timers and figure that all out but for now..... Here are the prelim pics just taken from inside the boat. No fancy angles down low from the side of the boat or it would look even more impressive........
Attached Images