Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 1:44 AM Reply   
So I was pretty excited to get out on my boat that I just purchased yesterday. It looks great and runs good, but there is smoke coming up out of the water right under the swim step. I don't know boats at all, so maybe this is normal. It's an older boat 1985 Supra. Smoke is barrelling out from under the boat and also seems to be coming out the 4 exhaust holes on the boat. A lot of smoke when you step on it to pull someone out, and still when you're just ridin. Any suggestions please?? Is this normal for an older boat or did I buy a lemon?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2006, 3:42 AM Reply   
If is is white vapor it could be steam from low water flow. If you don't know when the impeller was changed you should change it now to ensure full water flow.

If it is black it is either burning oil or running real rich on gas. Have the carburator and engine timing checked/adjusted for running rich.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-30-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Most likely just steam and it is normal.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thanks, sounds like it may not be "too" bad. I'm a rookie here, what do you mean by "rich on gas". Would that have anything to do with the lead additive?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-30-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
I don't know how "normal" it is. I've owned three inboards and none have ever put out any steam. I have to agree with the impeller statement. Jeremy, "rich" just refers to the air/fuel ratio. The carb could need a little work. If the smoke is kinda blueish in color it's burning oil. If it's more blackish it's fuel. (rich)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Sparky wrote:
"I've owned three inboards and none have ever put out any steam."

Every boat I have ever owned, outboard, I/O or inboard would create steam out the exhaust. Water is being mixed with super hot exhaust, it's going to make steam!

When it is hot and dry out the steam may just disappear before you notice it. On a cold morning, however, you can create a fog around the back of the boat!

If it is noticable when you step on it then I doubt that it is steam. Watch you oil consumption carefully, it sounds to me like it might be burning a lot of oil. It is not unusual for an engine that sits for months at at time to become an oil burner at relatively low number of hours. Sitting all winter allows the upper cylinder walls to rust, which then makes the walls a bit rough, which wears out the rings when you start the engine in the spring.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Yeah i doubt thats steam, i have the same boat and no smoke should be coming from those vents above the gas tank(i think thats the four your talking about).
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-31-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
how long had the boat sat before you purchased it ???? Possible valve seals maybe...
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-31-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
Sorry Rod, It's true. All three Sangers', never any steam. Now the old flatbottom jet boat with wet stacks, lotsa steam.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-31-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
every inboard i have been in steams from the exhaust. does it disapate less than a couple of feet from the platform? if its coming from the vents on the back you got problems. cause those vents come from the engine compartment and bilge.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone! Keep coming with input and suggestions. 882001, yeah it does dissapate soon. It doesn't leave a lingering cloud or anything, maybe it is just steam?? I'll have to pay closer attention to the exhaust holes to see if its really coming from there. My wife said that's where it was coming from, but I notice it around the swim platform...